PDA

View Full Version : Road Trip to Roswell, NM

AKAMichelle
05-25-2010, 11:46 AM
I have been wanting to do a long road trip to see part of the country while dressed for years. I have an opportunity the first weekend of June to do just that. I am traveling from Denver to Dallas via a stop in Roswell, NM. I hope to meet some aliens or at least be confused as being one. :D

Since I have never done a road trip dressed, I would like others experiences. How you handled being in places where you have never been before? How you handled the unexpected? Some parts of the country are more difficult than others and I am thinking that Roswell area may be one of those.

P.S. I don't pass very well but that doesn't affect my going out in the Denver area, but I am unsure about doing a road trip. This road trip is going to be over 2000 miles round trip.

Jenny Beth
05-25-2010, 12:02 PM
If I were you I'd wear my best dress and heels, if you get abducted you should look your best. :D

Persephone
05-25-2010, 12:42 PM
Tough questions, Michelle!

We've done several road trips across the country and, like anyone else, crossdressed or not, you're usually O.K. unless you run into bad people.

I would suggest the obvious steps, of course. Be sure your vehicle is in good shape, dress appropriate to your activity, be relaxed and confident, etc.

I would also suggest that you "stay in character." Women do not change tires, they call triple-A, stuff like that.

I'm a little concerned because you say you don't pass very well. That's something I have no experience with, so it is very difficult for me to evaluate how the world will respond to you once you set out.

Meanwhile, before you head out, be sure to rent the 1995 film "To Wong Foo Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar." You'll love it!

Oh, yeah, and be sure to visit the "UFO museum" in downtown Roswell. It is so hokey that I seriously believe it is a government coverup designed to convince you that the Roswell Incident never happened.

Andy66
05-25-2010, 01:00 PM
Women do not change tires, they call triple-A, stuff like that.
Oh no you didn't! Oh yes they do change tires! :tongueout

I agree though, watch To Wong Foo. Also watch Independence Day and Men In Black so you'll know what to do if things go awry. :heehee:

Have fun!

sherri
05-25-2010, 01:44 PM
Actually New Mexico is pretty cool about such things, generally speaking. I've traveled by car there numerous times without incident and I'm fairly adventurous when on the road, not hesitating to do rest stops, c-stores, gassing up, eateries, etc. and dressing the way I please, which usually means a mini-skirt or short-shorts. I once spent a whole weekend in Santa Fe without ever putting on boy stuff. It's just like anywhere else, you gotta use some judgement and stay aware, but quit worrying and just do it. You'll be glad you did.

ReineD
05-25-2010, 01:59 PM
My SO doesn't visit this site much, so if it's OK I'll post what she does. :)

She has always paid attention to her gut feelings, first and foremost, and has not come down hard on herself if she didn't feel safe in a particular place or situation. She gives herself permission to leave if anything doesn't feel right. When she travels she keeps a change of guy clothes in the car, among them a loose shirt she can just throw on. IMO it wouldn't hurt to also have a supply of makeup remover pads handy.

I want to add that I don't think she's ever had to revert to guy mode anywhere, but I'm guessing that having the safety net in place helped to give her more confidence when she was learning to go out everywhere. :)

AKAMichelle
05-25-2010, 02:34 PM
I'm a little concerned because you say you don't pass very well. That's something I have no experience with, so it is very difficult for me to evaluate how the world will respond to you once you set out.

I have put on about 40 pounds over the last year due to stress. I am one of those stress eaters and boy did I eat. I just went through the closet and found that all of my jeans are too small. I had to order new ones and have rush delivery to make sure they arrive in time for the trip. Before the weight gain, I passed better but it has never bothered me that people can read me. This is the first time that it is causing me to think through it more carefully than normal and that's only because I have never been there.

Meanwhile, before you head out, be sure to rent the 1995 film "To Wong Foo Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar." You'll love it!

Just recently watched the movie and loved it.

She has always paid attention to her gut feelings, first and foremost, and has not come down hard on herself if she didn't feel safe in a particular place or situation. She gives herself permission to leave if anything doesn't feel right. When she travels she keeps a change of guy clothes in the car, among them a loose shirt she can just throw on. IMO it wouldn't hurt to also have a supply of makeup remover pads handy.

I want to add that I don't think she's ever had to revert to guy mode anywhere, but I'm guessing that having the safety net in place helped to give her more confidence when she was learning to go out everywhere. :)

Thanks for the advice as that may be what I choice for my backup plan.

renee k
05-25-2010, 03:23 PM
Hi Michelle,

Just a couple of tips. One make sure your car is in shape for that kind of drive. Tires in good shape. Engine tuned and a fresh oil change. Drive the speed limit, and drive conservatively. Don't do anything to bring unwanted attention. If you act like you belong and convey to others that you are the gender your presenting you'll be fine. It's the old attage, " If it looks like a duck, if it walks like a duck, if it quacks like a duck, it is a duck."

As for Roswell, the times I visited. It seemed pretty small town-ish and not on the redneck side of things. Do visit the UFO museum. There's several good mexican restaurants to choose from. BTW the only aliens I saw there spoke spanish.

Renee

Debutante
05-25-2010, 03:31 PM
What ever you do: don't pick up any grey looking , large headed, almond-shaped-eyed aliens..... Area 51 is not far away.................. :straightface:

BLUE ORCHID
05-25-2010, 06:56 PM
Hi Michelle

I spent a week in Roswell NM. not too long ago the only aliens I saw
were from Mexico & South America!!

Orchid

AlexisWest
05-25-2010, 10:39 PM
Michelle,

I spent a whole day in downtown Denver while en femme. Drove over a hundred miles to get there did it all dressed.

TxKimberly
05-25-2010, 10:59 PM
Hi Michelle,

Just a couple of tips. One make sure your car is in shape for that kind of drive. Tires in good shape. Engine tuned and a fresh oil change. Drive the speed limit, and drive conservatively. Don't do anything to bring unwanted attention. If you act like you belong and convey to others that you are the gender your presenting you'll be fine. It's the old attage, " If it looks like a duck, if it walks like a duck, if it quacks like a duck, it is a duck."

As for Roswell, the times I visited. It seemed pretty small town-ish and not on the redneck side of things. Do visit the UFO museum. There's several good mexican restaurants to choose from. BTW the only aliens I saw there spoke spanish.

Renee

. . .
Oh, yeah, and be sure to visit the "UFO museum" in downtown Roswell. It is so hokey that I seriously believe it is a government coverup designed to convince you that the Roswell Incident never happened.

Couldn't agree more with these two. I've been to Roswell too but only drab, so no real advice other than that Renee has already offered.