PDA

View Full Version : What a day! (I need extra wide shoes)

NewShy21NJmtf
08-11-2004, 02:55 PM
Hi girls,

I wanted to share my incredibly busy and draining day that I had today, but first I wanted to thank all of the girls on here who give me more courage every day. You're all beautiful.

So as some of you know, I don't really have my wardrobe ready for public viewing yet, but I'm working on completing an outfit or two to go out in. I had planned to go to the bank, Victoria's Secret (they said they'd fit me for a bra), and Payless Shoes on Monday, but some of you may have seen my post as to why I couldn't.

So today, I decided to try again. I painted my nails bright sparkly purple and grabbed my paycheck to go to the bank. I was in drab otherwise and I haven't shaved for a while, so I'm noticably scruffy. I was hoping to surprise the teller when I slid my hand under the window. I don't know whether to be dissappointed or thrilled, but if she noticed at all, she showed no reaction at all.

I went home, a bit dissapointed by not getting the smile I was hoping for from the bank teller, but I still had more errands to run, and now I had the cash to do them. I painted my toe nails the same color and put some metallic lipstick and lipliner on. I was otherwise in drab, and I put on a pair of flip flops and walked out the door to go to Victoria's Secret. It was sunny all day, but as soon as I walked out the door, a terrible thunderstorm started. I have to cross a river to get to Victoria's Secret, and the roads near the bridges often flood in rain like that, but I was determined to go; or so I thought, I went in the direction of one of the bridges and was hoping the rain would let up, but it started getting worse and even started to hail!

I got scared (or maybe wise) and turned around and came home, and I got soaked in the 6 feet from my car to my door. I figured even if I can make it there now, there's no guarantee I can make it back. I came in and changed and checked the weather. It said the thunderstorm would last through the night, so I resolved myself with the fact that I wouldn't be able to finish these errands today. I removed my lipstick and nail polish, since I was going to have to do that before my parents got home anyway.

Just as I finished getting the nail polish off my toes, the rain stopped and the sun came out! I was so mad, as I still had plenty of time at this point to paint them again and go to Victoria's Secret. I decided not to, remembering murphy's law that as soon as I finished painting them and got out the door it would pour again.

I decided I could go to Payless though, and the make-up wouldn't be necessary as I'd get the same effect trying on high heels. I found much to my dismay, that my size doesn't exist. I wear an 8.5 to 9 in mens, so most rules say I'd be a 10 or 11 womens. I tried on 11s first and found them to be way too big. I tried on 10s and wasn't comfortable. I tried 9.5s and that didn't work either. I tried wide widths in all of these sizes. I spent an incredible amount of time searching. A few GGs were shopping right next to me and didn't seem upsetted at all, but the two sales people were men. They didn't offer to help me at all, noticing how much I was struggling. They avoided looking at me, and they seemed very uncomfortable. Eventually I asked one of them to measure my foot (since that's his job!). He just pointed in some vague direction and said the measuring thing was over there. I found it, and my foot measured an 8 mens and a 9 womens. As for the width, I wasn't sure how to measure that, I tried, but couldn't read the thing and gave up, realizing that I needed the widest shoes they have. I noticed that all the shoes I tried on were way too long and way too narrow at the same time. I ended up with a pair of 9.5w that I think will be ok. They are still a bit too long and a bit too narrow, but they didn't have extra wide (or if they did, those assholes weren't going to help me find them.) I had intended to buy a matching purse and female wallet from there too, but I was so upset by the salesmen that I just wanted to get out of there. The only reason I bought them at all was because it's really hard to find shoes that I can afford that fit. This experience did teach me to look for wider shoes in men's styles too, though I'm actually pretty happy with my size 9s (mens).

I found out another thing while shoe shopping today. I'm not very shy around adults anymore, but I'm really shy around children I found. whenever there was a chance that children might see me, I made sure not to try on any of the shoes. This was especially true of male children. I think it's because I know it's hard to be this way, so I don't want to give the kids any encouragement at all. I wonder now though, are any of you girls shy around children?

Ok, I guess this post has gotten long enough. If any of you know where to get quality, cheap, odd sized women's shoes that's preferably not online so I can pay cash, please let me know. I doubt such a place exists, but oh well. Eventually I'll be brave enough to have these charges show up on my credit card.

Stephanie

kristi cd
08-11-2004, 07:37 PM
Sounds like you're not too shy about going out. :D Yeah I figure most people will be like the two assistants in the store you found, but I guess if you expect the worst, anything else will be a pleasent surprise. Good luck next time. :)