PDA

View Full Version : mixed identities?

fallen_rayne
05-29-2010, 04:48 PM
How many people here have dressed up and then looked into the mirror, only to realize you don't notice the person looking back at you?

It happened last night when I was hanging with a friend that I'm out to. She was complimenting me on this and that, and i was being "modest" (according to her). She showed me my reflection in the mirror and i had no idea who it was.

So my philosophical question for anyone who tries to live on both sides of the coin, or anyone wanting to be philosophical: How many of you have gone through an identity crisis, and how did you deal with it?

sometimes_miss
05-29-2010, 08:01 PM
I kind of avoid the mirrors; but what I'm wearing definitely isn't what my boy self would be in, and I occasionally find myself in a position that he wouldn't sit or stand in either. It's mostly the long hair cascading down the sides of my face onto my chest and shoulders that makes me seem like I'm someone else.

brandie
05-29-2010, 08:23 PM
when i look i at my self i just look below the neck
becouse from there up not so good.
but i can live with that becouse in the in side i am all fem.

love
brandie
:hugs::hugs:

dilane
05-29-2010, 09:25 PM
How many people here have dressed up and then looked into the mirror, only to realize you don't notice the person looking back at you?

... How many of you have gone through an identity crisis, and how did you deal with it?

I don't think of that effect as an identity crisis.

That happens to me frequently -- my internal image of myself is recognizable as my boyself. When I'm out, often I'll catch a surprise glimpse of myself in a mirror or off of a glass wall and think, who is that lady? It's a good thing :) It reaffirms that to the world I'm a woman going about her business.

In other words, when I'm not primed to see "me", I often see a decent looking woman; maybe it simulates what someone who doesn't know me sees at first glance.

-- Diane

fallen_rayne
05-29-2010, 09:34 PM
It seems more along the fact that when you see that reflection in the mirror your thinking. "Holy shit, is that me?" It's gotten so bad to the point where I will get out of the shower all masculine, and look in the mirror expecting my feminine appearance.

It's too surreal to be real really, I'm expecting someone else entirely when gazing upon myself. It kinda scares me to the point that I might be falling into one or the other gender. Even worse, that I might make too many personae for myself and therefore, lose sight of myself.

AriannaVillota
05-29-2010, 09:39 PM
You say lose yourself, but aren't you really finding yourself?

Raine
05-29-2010, 10:06 PM
I made the two identities into one. That solved everything for me. Now I see the same person in the mirror all the time.

FemmeElastique
05-29-2010, 10:11 PM
I don't know. Everytime I look in the mirror dressed up I see my guy self too. Others don't. They see Rebecca. Some people even call me that when I'm a guy! It's so funny. It's because I'm out as a CD.

Kara Connor
05-29-2010, 10:19 PM
Had an amusing moment as I wandered past a mirror in a hotel bar last week at Esprit. I caught a glimpse of someone and thought "She's nice" until I realized it was me! Closer inspection revealed that I wasn't quite as pretty as a quick glance suggested, but, once I finished laughing, I was quietly pleased, since I was still sober and thought I looked OK :) I couldn't have been that bad since I ended up sleeping with myself ... <groan> ... sorry - couldn't resist adding that!

sissystephanie
05-29-2010, 10:33 PM
I look in the mirror every time I am dressed! But I always know I am there since I am ME. I just have a feminine side that is quite strong.

BTW, I really look in the mirror to see if I look at all feminine in that particular outfit!! After all, isn't that what we are trying to do when we dress?:heehee:

Annaliese2010
05-29-2010, 10:53 PM
How many people here have dressed up and then looked into the mirror, only to realize you don't notice the person looking back at you?... How many of you have gone through an identity crisis, and how did you deal with it?I understand what you're saying. It's happened to me too but only once per day because after that initial surprise I can't stop looking at myself - not steadily, just frequently.

Welllll....okay, at times steadily too ;)

Persephone
05-29-2010, 10:56 PM
When I'm out, often I'll catch a surprise glimpse of myself in a mirror or off of a glass wall and think, who is that lady? It's a good thing :) It reaffirms that to the world I'm a woman going about her business.

In other words, when I'm not primed to see "me", I often see a decent looking woman; maybe it simulates what someone who doesn't know me sees at first glance.

-- Diane

:yt::iagree: I've had exactly the same thing happen! It's the lady we don't see, except from the corner of our eye.

MrKunk
05-30-2010, 02:04 AM
Not quite that girly yet but I am slowly working towards it.

fallen_rayne
05-30-2010, 02:49 AM
You say lose yourself, but aren't you really finding yourself?

You have no idea how much I wish that to be true. I find myself finding out so much more about myself that just would have passed me by. I wonder if it's all worth it. But hey listen to me being the negative nancy. (had quite the engrossing conversation with a friend of mine I'm outed too; who just happens to be a psych major! :D)

She told me it's normal for someone in the situation, not only that but I shouldn't worry about it, cause eventually those personae will merge into one over time.

I suppose i should stop stressing and let it all roll off my back and enjoy being treated like a lady. :battingeyelashes:

suzy
05-30-2010, 03:04 AM
I can't say that I have an identity crisis.... I am no where close to where I wonder "who's that in the mirror".....unfortunately, it's me in a dress...or skirt or whatever...but it's me and by that I mean more like me..a man in a dress. I have so much to learn, so much to go through and honestly....I don't know if it will ever be different. sigh...but I can hope.....

Kate Simmons
05-30-2010, 05:32 AM
The two sets of feelings will tend to compete with one another until they are accepted and amalgamated. Then they will become additive rather than subtractive.:)

suchacutie
05-30-2010, 09:08 PM
Here I am all dressed and from one angle I really like the way I look, and it's clearly Tina (as opposed to him, who is supposed to go away in those moments!). Then I get another angle of a full body shot and I can see that I've not gotten rid of all the "male clues" that I thought I had.

So, I want the separation and although I get a bit depressed when I find that I haven't totally morphed genders, I do use that information to try to move farther along in losing more male clues!

And I'm sure most of those last major male body clues would disappear if I'd only finally lose those last 15 pounds!!! :)

I know...bxxtch...bxxtch...bxxtch.... Oh, and that's the other clue I haven't mastered. My wife has explained to me that I have totally NOT mastered being bitchy and whiny! Not that she wants Tina to do that all the time, but she thinks it's an ability Tina needs to have!!!

I love that woman!

tina