PDA

View Full Version : More likely to be read in a group?

msginaadoll
05-31-2010, 09:38 AM
This is in response to the posting about going out alone or with others. What comes up frequently is that people say u are more likely to be read when with other cds. I had the opportunity to go out with three other ladies this past Saturday. My thoughts for what they are worth. Women do go out in groups, clusters, etc. So if people see a group of cds maybe they just see a group of women. You are lumped into the group by affiliation. It also helps that the ladies I have gone out with are all lovely-so maybe that rubs off too. You are seen with pretty women therefore u are one of them. I can always hope!!!!

Secondly I feel more confident when I'm with others, that means for me I am more likely to hold my head up and walk with a smile on my face. In many people's views that increases ones "Passability."

Lastly I care less abut being read. I am having a good time being with others and we have each others back. Well just my musing!

Violetgray
05-31-2010, 10:14 AM
You are only as passable as the least passable among you. Once they get read, the reader well more closely examine everyone in the group.

sandra-leigh
05-31-2010, 10:15 AM
I think there is something to being more easily read in a group.

Many of us stretch the bounds of what is considered "female", and when we are by ourselves or surrounded by cis people who treat us as female, people might dismiss it and say "Guess I'm just seeing something." However, when we are in a group and most members of the group each look a bit odd, then the overall effect is going to be noticeable. Samantha's lipstick is applied wrong, Jane's wig is a bit crooked, Trudy's skirt is quite short, Alice's beard-shadow didn't get completely covered up by foundation -- things add up.

AKAMichelle
05-31-2010, 10:38 AM
I think you are more likely to be read in a group but so what. What if you read by yourself? Does it change the experience or make less read? No - so why not just be yourself and have fun?

Kate Simmons
05-31-2010, 10:49 AM
It really depends on the group.:)

Kaitlyn Michele
05-31-2010, 11:01 AM
a group of ts/cd folks are almost always read..especially at things like dinner..

its a shame because i agree that there is alot of safety and comfort in numbers..

the best case is to have some accepting gg friends..they can help you look your best, and you can just blend in with your friends.

Sarah Doepner
05-31-2010, 11:04 AM
I think you are more likely to be read in a group but so what. What if you read by yourself? Does it change the experience or make less read? No - so why not just be yourself and have fun?

There are a lot more clues in a group, so I think there is a likelyhood that a curious person will be picking up on the situation. However as Michelle says, if it's more fun, you are smiling and feel secure with sisters by your side it just might be a reasonable tradeoff.

Persephone
05-31-2010, 12:49 PM
You're right, Gina, women tend to go places with other women, pairs, groups, etc., there is safety in numbers.

And, if you travel with a group of genetic women, and are as involved and as animated as they are, then it will increase your acceptance and ability to pass.

On the other hand, I actually have a formula for the chances of being read in a group of CD's:

R=2 to the Nth where R is the chance of being read and N is the number of CD's packed together.

So, in general, you are four times as likely to be read when with another CD, eight times as likely in a group of three, and so on.

Now, deciding how much it matters? -- That is a completely different formula!

Cheryl T
05-31-2010, 01:10 PM
I don't care about being "read" either. I enjoy going out and expressing my feminine side. I go in groups and alone. Being in a group of cd's may make it eaiser for someone to identify me as cd, but I don't care if they do or not.

Stephenie S
05-31-2010, 01:21 PM
There is no question but that you will be "read" much more easily in a group of other CDs than in a group of natal females. That's why I posted that I would rather go out with another woman.

The question of "Does it matter?" is a different question altogether. Hopefully, it don't. Just have fun.

Stephenie

CharleneT
05-31-2010, 01:27 PM
It's not just us you know ! You see a group and pretty quick say to yourself "... those guys are all football players" or "...there's a Jr. High field trip if ever I saw one!" or "sorority for sure!". When a group with a common thread is together they tend to be more easily ID'd as such.

Kaitlyn Michele
05-31-2010, 02:54 PM
not caring is a different question than am i being read as a crossdresser

Rachel Morley
05-31-2010, 03:01 PM
You are only as passable as the least passable among you. Once they get read, the reader well more closely examine everyone in the group.
I very much agree with Violet's comment here. I can go out on my own, with my wife, or with another CDer and I don't feel like I'm getting read, but if I go out with a group of CDers like 3 or more we seem to get read everywhere we go. As least, that's to say, that is my own personal experience so far :2c:

DonnaLynn77
05-31-2010, 03:13 PM
A group of geese is called a gaggle.
A group of seagulls is called a flock.
A group of lions is called a pride.

A group of CDs are called a book... because they get read so easily! LOL I couldn't help it. :D

It's an old joke, but true.

xo,
Donna

AllieSF
06-01-2010, 12:43 AM
I agree with Violet that we are only as passable as the least passable among us. However, as you say, it is much more fun to be with others. I call it covering my back, and in reality, it is just better to have someone else with whom you can share the moment with. I personally prefer smaller groups of 2 -4. However, I will not shy away from larger groups. Also, passing is not really not that possible for me while blending in is more my target.

ReineD
06-01-2010, 01:57 AM
I agree that a few cues emanating from one person alone might be dismissed, but collectively the cues will get noticed more, especially since groups tend to be noticed more than couples (either women, men, or mixed). But if you're having fun, so what? :) Besides, you're doing your part to banish the stereotypes by behaving and dressing appropriately.

As to women doing things in groups, this is true, they do occasionally. But I just want to point out that men do things in groups too .. business men having lunch or dinner together for example. Or buddies going out for a beer. So being in a group is not particularly a 'women' thing to do. :)