PDA

View Full Version : Perceiving Sex Directly and Indirectly: Meaning in Motion and Morphology

Persephone
05-31-2010, 12:52 PM
Just came across this very interesting article:

Perceiving Sex Directly and Indirectly:
Meaning in Motion and Morphology

Kerri L. Johnson1 and Louis G. Tassinary2
1New York University and 2Texas A&M University

ABSTRACT—We employed a novel technique to explore how
the body’s motion and morphology affect judgments of sex
and gender. Stimuli depicted animated human walkers
that varied in motion (gait patterns varying shoulder
swagger and hip sway) and in morphology (waist-to-hip
ratio). The potency of morphology in categorical sex judgments
was confirmed. Visual scanning of the walkers was
concentrated in the waist and hip region of the body (Study
1a). This targeted scanning was attenuated, however,
when the sex of the target had been prespecified (Study 1b).
Body motion permitted categorical judgments of sex, but
these judgments were mediated by perceived gender
(Study 2). These studies provide converging evidence for
the primacy of the body’s shape in categorical judgments
of sex.

The full article can be found at http://web.mac.com/kerri.johnson/Kerri_L._Johnson,_Ph.D./Publications_files/JohnsonTassinary05.pdf

Kathi Lake
05-31-2010, 01:02 PM
Now that's an article I have to read! Thanks for the link, Barbara. We need all the help we can get (well, I do anyway). :)

Kathi

sterling12
05-31-2010, 04:52 PM
So, what are they saying? Guys are supposed to walk like Guys, and Girls are supposed to walk like girls? And, people "perceive" their apparent sex because of their walk and mannerisms?

GOSH, now tell me as a Trans Person something I don't already know! Just about any Gurl who is out there on The Boulevard, knows you have to walk and act female. Now since I've already done that sort of research....point me at My Master's Degree! I could use another Piece of Paper from Academe', that and A Dollar Seventy-Five will get me Coffee at Denny's.

Peace and Love, Joanie

Laura Evans
05-31-2010, 06:39 PM
After reading the research it seemed to me that the researchers determined that the waist to hip ratio was more important in judging a persons gender since morphologically men and women are very different and that the walking differences between the genders is slight and has more to do with timing.

Walking style can be mimicked but padding will be needed to to create the correct curves and that seems more important than the first if we wish to be perceived as the opposite gender. Having said that, in my professional life of 30 + yrs, I have observed walking styles and body shapes of both genders and I do not feel that we can generalize either gender. I have seen many women walk like men and men walking like women and have seen many women with the shape of men when it comes to the waist but not many men with hour glass shapes.

Based on this article I would place my bets on body shape.

dilane
05-31-2010, 07:36 PM
One of my TS friends is perfectly passable visually, 5'7", correct body proportions, post op, has worked as a woman for 5-6 years, and has a good voice.

I had drinks with her and a GG friend. The GG knows I'm trans, but didn't know anything about my friend -- I have lots of GG friends who this GG knows. When my TS friend left to go to the ladies, my GG friend said "Why is she walking like a guy? Is she a transsexual?"

Some people do notice. I personally think it's one of the biggest tells for M2Fs, I'd rate it equal to body proportion.

I think in the real world, with 3d male and female presences that there are many subtle perceptions involved and that gait is used when certain other things aren't quite right for the gender presentation.