PDA

View Full Version : What Does An Artist See?

Persephone
05-31-2010, 03:40 PM
Have you ever wondered what someone else, perhaps someone with good visual analysis skill, would see when they looked at you?

Well, I've always wondered! So a couple of weeks ago, when we were at the Renaissance Faire, we spotted a wandering artist at his booth and I had him do my sketch portrait.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/sandylewiscares/PortraitInProgressWeb.jpg
I really wish I'd been in Renaissance garb!

One thing that I really hadn't thought about was how many people stop to watch during the 20-30 minutes that you are posing. There must have been 100 or more! And I didn't see any out-of-the-ordinary gawks or stares!

Finally, my portrait was done!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/sandylewiscares/PortraitWeb.jpg

Billijo49504
05-31-2010, 03:57 PM
Picture looks great. As for me, I can only draw flies :heehee:BJ

Ann D Bluebird
05-31-2010, 04:12 PM
That's a nice portrait Persephone :thumbsup:

Sheila
05-31-2010, 04:33 PM
Nice portrait ......... BJ I can't even draw them :heehee::heehee:

Kathi Lake
05-31-2010, 05:36 PM
Heck, I can't even draw a stick figure without messing up. It's .just not where my creativity is. Now, give me an eyeshadow pallette, . . .

:)

Barbara, it is a really nice portrait. It is a wonderful reflection of you.

Kathi

Kaz
05-31-2010, 05:42 PM
Hi Persephone,

What he saw was an attractive woman, and he captured her... and boy did he get those eyes!

Thanks for sharing... :hugs:

Cassandra Lynn
05-31-2010, 08:19 PM
How fun!!! Thanx for allowing us to see the during and the after. Are you going to matte and frame it? Got a place picked out for it? mj (Cassie)

Frédérique
05-31-2010, 11:13 PM
Something artistic to write about! Hopefully you’ll read this and not ignore me…:straightface:

What Does An Artist See?

Why don’t you ask me, darling? I happen to be a visual artist, in fact I’m quite good at portraiture (that’s the fancy word for it). What does an artist see? It varies from individual to individual, and it has nothing to do with “talent.” This is a skill, much like anything else, honed with practice that never ends. Just like a crossdresser, the artist has acute sensibilities. I suppose there is a certain aptitude for spacial relationships, tone and texture, along with a general (or at least superficial) understanding of anatomy folded into the mix, but mainly the artist has to be interested enough in what he or she sees to want to possess it by way of rendering. Have your eyes glazed over yet? Even though your quick portrait is representational (realistic) in nature, the artist in question has abstracted your physical features, and then translated them via his personal visual shorthand. I would say the artist sees exactly what you see, but a lot of things get in the way between eyes, brain, and hand – synapses, anyone?

Finally, my portrait was done!

Well, I would say it is a successful portrait, since you are sufficiently pleased with it to put it on display before us. How do you really feel about it, Persephone? That is the only relevant question here. I would venture to say that a portrait artist of this type aims to please, and he has the skill necessary to do this largely unrewarding task all day long. Based on the photo of you being drawn, placed next to the drawing, I would say the portrait is reasonably accurate, but I would “see” you differently. Please keep in mind I’ve been a judge at national art exhibitions, so I know what I’m talking about…:battingeyelashes:

Audrey34
05-31-2010, 11:42 PM
The picture looks beautiful Persephone! As an artist myself (cartoons are what I do mostly) I can tell a lot of skill went into the picture. Very good artwork indeed!
-Audrey

Persephone
06-01-2010, 03:36 AM
How fun!!! Thanx for allowing us to see the during and the after. Are you going to matte and frame it? Got a place picked out for it? mj (Cassie)

Thanks Cassie (and everyone for your kind comments)! Actually, I've already had it matted and framed, but, truth be told, I haven't yet completely figured out where to place it, as, at the moment, we actually have more artwork than appropriate wallspace.

Hopefully you’ll read this and not ignore me

Well, of course, I would never do that, dear!

Please keep in mind I’ve been a judge at national art exhibitions, so I know what I’m talking about.

I appreciate both your explanation of visual artistry as well as your analysis of this particular portrait. It would be interesting to see your interpretation as I'm sure your vision of me would be different.

My own skills in the visual arts are far more limited as I've only completed a number of classes at a local community college. I'm very proud of those classes, however, as I participated in them entirely en femme and the credits are in my femme name.

Jenny Doolittle
06-01-2010, 07:33 AM
Persephone,

There is no reason anyone should look odd at you, you are a lovely looking woman.

The sketch looks great, you chose a good artist. Now the only question is framing and where to hang it?

I am sure it was fun to sit for the sketch.

dilane
06-01-2010, 12:01 PM
What a cool experience, and a very nice portrait, too.

I've definitely got to add an artist's portrait to my to-do list!

kellycan27
06-01-2010, 12:57 PM
Barb.. love the pic. My mom and dad told me stories about the Faire when they were younger, and it was held in Agoura hills, back in their pot smoking hippy days...lol. I always thought it so romantic.

Kel

Hey.. Have you ever been to the Sagebrush Cantina in Calabasas?