PDA

View Full Version : Shopping - it's a mixed bag

megan163
08-21-2005, 02:21 PM
I went out the other day en femme with mixed results. I was dressed conservatively in a nice suit and pumps, nothing crazy. I went to 2 major department stores in the San Fernando Valley (home of a fairly sizable TG community) and browsed around the cosmetics counters. Not one sales girl took the opportunity to ask me if I needed help, though many noticed me and were not all that busy. A couple were with GGs and providing hands-on help, makeovers. Finally, one did offer to help but wouldn't demo anything for me. The experience was very disappointing to say the least.

I've seen posts here describe how some CDs get so much assistance but I've generally found otherwise - like the sales girls are gatekeepers of an exclusive club that we're not welcome. On a positive note, I will say that finally at the end of my day, I stopped at a store down the road and the young girl there was actually willing to help. I think she may have felt bad for me when I told her I didn't want to inconvenience anyone. She said it was no bother and offered to help me apply eye color. By this time, though I was ready to go home, so I just thanked her for being friendly and offering.

Does anyone else find shopping as difficult and often unfulfilling? At the end of the day, my money was still in my purse. I wonder if store management knows how many sales are lost this way and what they would do about it if they knew.

steffie39
08-21-2005, 02:35 PM
Hi Megan,

I think you're right: many sales are lost this way. I'll bet if you voiced your concerns to their superrvisors, they would be upset at potentially how many more sales they could have. It's unfortunate it has to be this way in some places. I'm sure there are some places out there that are friendly toward crossdressers, though. It's just luck finding them.

Steffie