PDA

View Full Version : Plain people

Empress Lainie
06-02-2010, 07:27 AM
I have just submitted the term "plain people" to Websters Open Dictionary to describe people who are non-trans.

I felt we needed something a little better than "non-trans people"

After all WE are special, others are plain.

Katesback
06-02-2010, 07:45 AM
Hmmm. Well hey that works I suppose.

I tend to think of myself as a plain person most all the time. Now at work I am trans but I do get to help trans people so it is worth while.

Katie

Madame George
06-02-2010, 08:24 AM
Except there already is a term. Cissexual, aka "Cis", which means one's gender identity is in congruence with their assigned birth sex.

Not to be confused with cisgender which is a horrible term that makes too many assumptions about a persons gender and reinforces an archaic binary.

Well, and then there's the fact of it already being a term used to describe different religious cultures.

Main Entry: Plain People
Function: noun
Date: 1904

: members of any of various Protestant groups (as Mennonites) especially in the United States who wear distinctively plain clothes and adhere to a simple and traditional style of life excluding many conveniences of modern technology,

Empress Lainie
06-02-2010, 10:25 AM
Yeah, I knew of plain people (Mennonites and even knew several) But in our crazy English language, words frequently have more than one meaning.

Stephanie Anne
06-02-2010, 03:11 PM
I don't know, I feel pretty plain most of the time.

kellycan27
06-02-2010, 03:56 PM
LOL.. Doesn't thinking and wanting to be treated as "special" cause us problems? I'd prefer to be thought of as just another ordinary person. :strugglin

Karen564
06-02-2010, 04:13 PM
IDK, Maybe I'm just a simple person..:battingeyelashes:

But personally, I don't think the term "Plain People" accurately describes a "non-trans" person, nor does them any justice, because I happen to know some Extremely talented & extraordinary people that are not trans, or gay, and they are not plain or ordinary people in any regard...who live an exciting & very fulfilling life..
So as much as I had nothing to do with being trans, they also had nothing to do with being non-trans..
So I prefer to use the term that were all simply "human beings"..that's it..
:hugs:

Sharon
06-02-2010, 09:53 PM
I'm about as ordinary a person as you'll find and if I'm not a plain person I don't know who is. Hmm..., perhaps I'm a hybrid. :)

I think I'll stick with people's names.

Zenith
06-03-2010, 12:33 AM
Oh heck EVERYBODY is special in some way...:D

Empress Lainie
06-04-2010, 09:47 PM
Oh well, it prob'ly won't catch on anyway.

My last new word was "rebirthday" for the day that someone dies (really dies) and is brought back. Mine was Dec. 12,2004.
So now I am FIVE AND A HALF YEARS OLD. And I can even spell, too, (sometimes!)