PDA

View Full Version : Tips for shopping in person

Marlena Dahlstrom
08-22-2005, 12:44 AM
I ran across a posting reprinted at Yvonne's Place by a sales associate's take on how to shop appropriately (http://www.yvonnesplace.net/passing/lanebryant.htm) in person.

Common sense, but useful to hear from the horse's mouth.

Sigrid
08-22-2005, 02:54 AM
Excellent advice. I go out shopping very often now (always in drab) and I'd just like to add the following tips...

1. Call ahead, ask if they welcome CD/TG customers and if so, will you have access to the dressing rooms. Ask whom you're speaking with on the phone, then ask for her(him) by name when you go in.

2. Dress well when you go out shopping. Show them you really care about how you look and that your actually willing to spend a little money to get there. This loosely ties in with Colleens "don't act creepy" remark... that is to say, if you walk in wearing shabby jeans, t-shirt and tennis shoes and head over to the lingerie section, they'll likely eye you with some level of suspicion.

3. If you notice that you're presence is making any of the customers uncomfortable, don't hang around and assert your "right" to shop there. They are valuble customers too that many stores, especially most small boutiques, can not afford to loose. Head off to another store and try again a little later.

Along with Lane Bryant, I've had very good luck shopping at The Avenue, The Gap, Dillards, Macy's, Nordstrom's (large shoe sizes) and, just recently had an amazing experience at Chico's.

Wendy me
08-22-2005, 07:59 AM
for me i would say be freindly be kind and give outhers space if thay seam uncomfy...
sometimes i love to realy let lose while shopping i go to a smaller store that gives the sales girls commision ..pick a girl that looks like she would enjoy haveing some fun and tell her girlfreind lets shop ...now next time i walk in that place she is ready to shop with me ...yes there are like rules abought not being crazy but above all shopping should be fun and thats what it's all abought ....

NatalieBliss
08-22-2005, 08:37 AM
Great post! Thanks for sharing...

Along with all the great tips I would like to add one about my personal shopping practices...

The "I'm shopping for me girlfriend/sister/mother's birthday" is a great way to approach the situation if your not out or not comfortable with sharing this part of you with a stranger. I have gone so far as to have the sizes on a piece of paper and say "I have no idea what this means but I'm looking for this in a size ____" I have had a few suspicous looks as sales associates can usually easily "size you up" and on a few occasions heard "so is she about your size?" and once the associate didn't seem like she wanted to let it drop, I came back with, "yeah I guess never really thought of it" and smiled at her. I was thinking "do you really care that much about if I wear it? Your job is to sell this stuff" did she know or have suspicions? Probably. Was I lying? Hell yes. Was it for a good reason that I was lying? Hell yes. I am always scared when bying girly things for myself. (although I think a did job with the "act") Did it keep the situation "socialy acceptable" and make for an easy transaction? Hell yes. While I feel a little guilty everytime I do it, in the end it's really the only way I feel comfortable currently so I just go with it. I don't really care if they giggle or mock me after I leave as I have worked retail and done this about "norms" on many an occasion. Well I didn't giggle, but you get the idea.

Wendy me
08-22-2005, 09:47 AM
ok a good shopping trip you had fun , anyone you had to deal with had fun ...some small talk , some joking around and you came home with things you wanted and that fit .....that's what makes a good shopping trip....

tifftg
08-22-2005, 12:48 PM
I go out shopping very often now (always in drab) and I'd just like to add the following tips...

Along with Lane Bryant, I've had very good luck shopping at The Avenue, The Gap, Dillards, Macy's, Nordstrom's (large shoe sizes) and, just recently had an amazing experience at Chico's.

Thanks for the additional suggestions. I would love to hear more about your Chico's experience. I love their style and would like to shop there. I have gotten to being very open with my shopping when out of town, no one knows me, so who cares. Still live in a smaller city, so never sure when my mother-in-law might be walking by the store.

Tiff

Jodi
08-22-2005, 07:35 PM
I agree with the first post on the rules for shopping. Be courteous, be decisive, be confident and you will have no problem. As for the excuses used by people, I have stated that I have worked the floor in both the Limited and New York & Co (formerly Lerners). If it makes you feel better while shopping, by all means, make the excuses. But--trust me. You are not fooling anybody. Only the most naive sales associate would be fooled. To believe this, you would have to view the situation from the eyes of the sales associate, ie, seeing the the body language, the look in the eyes, the overall interest, the tone of voice, etc. It is best to politely and confidently tell the SA that it is for you. This way the SA can do her job in matching style, size and color hue. Also, be sure--if an SA works well with you, be sure to buy something. Even if it's only a T-shirt, but BUY SOMETHING.

I spent this past Saturday afternoon shopping in drab. I went into my favorite Adrienne Vittadini store and was greeted warmly. The SA began to immediately show me what had been recently marked down. She began to set up a fitting room. I spent over an hour in the fitting room trying on outfits. She kept bringing in things that she thought I'd like. When I wasn't sure of the fit, she would come into the fitting room and check the fit and style for me. She also recommended the correct accessories. I ended up buying an LBD and a black top. The whole time I was trying on, we were conversing and teasing one another. We both had fun. I make sure to shop at the same 10 or 12 stores. I've gotten to know the SA's. They are always helpful and great fun to work with.

Shop and enjoy it. Be open, be confident, use a sense of humor, be polite and courteous. The SA will enjoy waiting on you.

Also, a note for Tiff. I have shopped Chico's. Have had great experiences, and the clothing is fantastic. Want to note that their sizing is different. It goes from 0 to 3. It is extremely difficult to guess on the correct size--meaning, you must try on in the store.

Jodi

tifftg
08-22-2005, 07:53 PM
Also, a note for Tiff. I have shopped Chico's. Have had great experiences, and the clothing is fantastic. Want to note that their sizing is different. It goes from 0 to 3. It is extremely difficult to guess on the correct size--meaning, you must try on in the store.

Jodi

Well that explains a lot. The last time I was there I kept seeing those low numbers and said I will never fit into that. :lol: Glad to know there is hope. Thanks hon.

Tiff

Joanie
08-22-2005, 09:00 PM
Funny, I purchased a bra a few months back and the saleswoman asked me twice if I wanted one of those gift receipts so that the "recipient" wouldn't know what I paid for it if an exchage proved necessary. "No, that's OK, I don't need it, thanks though" was my reply. She had a very puzzled look on her face and I ALMOST told her but didn't. I wonder if she ever figured it!

gennee
08-22-2005, 09:26 PM
Darla:

thanks for the advice. Your points are well taken.

gennee :)