PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone here ever gone to the professionals?

sophieporter
06-05-2010, 05:35 PM
Hey girls,

Not so much a beauty issue here, more a going-out issue.

I'm pretty poor at makeup, so I was thinking of going to those makeover desks in town, in the big stores like debenhams, to see what having my makeup done up for this event would run me.

Has anyone here ever done it, and how did it go? I'm sure as hell not going into town as Sophie, so I'd be going as a boy.

What do you all think, I'm specifically going for eye makeup because i'm awful at it.

Love and huggles,

Shophie x x x

Bernadina
06-05-2010, 06:00 PM
I have had a professional makeup session but not at the department store.

Remember, they are there to sell product. You may end up buying a lot of expensive makeup.

Megan Thomas
06-05-2010, 06:24 PM
Last year I had reason to buy some perfume for a GF as a present. The perfume counter in Debenhams wanted £35 for a smaller bottle than I could get at the perfume shop for £19.

Guess where my business went?

Kara Connor
06-05-2010, 06:34 PM
See the thread

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132253

for an account of my makeover at a MAC store. I went in drab, and they were very friendly and helpful. If you go in drab I would advise you to take you wig because it will give you a better idea of the look you will have, and that suits your hair colour.

I'm originally from the UK but never had the guts to go for a makeover when I was there. I guess age makes you braver or more foolish :) . The web site

http://www.maccosmetics.co.uk/

will give your store locations. Just ring first and be straight up with them about who you are and what you want. I would advise the same for any shop or business. I've told a few sales associates that I was shopping for me, and never had a bad experience. In fact the reverse is usually true - they really want to help you.

Kara

alexis GG
06-05-2010, 06:45 PM
Maybe you could try going into the shop and to the make-up section and see if they have a price list for costs on make-overs, if you are happy with their costs then maybe phone them up and ask if they could fit you in for a make-over and ask if there are any quiet times you could go.
You certainly wouldn't be the first boy to go for a make-over and I'm sure they would make you feel totally at ease, at the end of the day all they want is to make sales

CDTiffany
06-05-2010, 06:47 PM
Yes I have, I saw a girl in north hollywood. Gina Ortiz. For about a year. Learned ALOT!!!!!!!!!

Go see a pro a few times and pay attention.

You'll be good to go!

XOXO Tiffany Amber Rhoads

suchacutie
06-05-2010, 07:09 PM
I walked into a MAC in Saks in New Orleans and explained I wanted a color matched foundation, concealer, and powder. They were incredibly helpful and supportive!

tina

Kelly DeWinter
06-05-2010, 07:16 PM
yes at least 3 times a year

docrobbysherry
06-05-2010, 08:39 PM
I got a complete face makeover at the SCC last year. It cost $60 and took nearly an hour. I think she did a fine job and it lasted until the next morning's shower!:)

Of course, in MY case, it was a bit like Herman Munster in Yvonne DeCarlo's makeup!!:brolleyes:

Annie D
06-05-2010, 09:35 PM
Yes, you could go to a professional and I have done so in the past and as others have said; their job is to sell you cosmetics and it can get quite expensive so I tried something different.

I had scheduled a photo session and simply, dressed as Annie, started making the rounds at every nail and/or nail salon and entered the shop and asked the receptionist if they did makeup? I found that between 20 and 25 percent of the technicians or hair dressers said that they did. My next questions were naturally what would be the cost and if I could schedule an appointment?

I have had it done on three different occasions, been completely satisfied with the results at a cost of between $25 - $30 including tip. On each occasion, I have furnished the make up. The girls who have provided the service are quite accepting and seem to really enjoy helping me reach my goal.

Good luck!

renee k
06-06-2010, 06:53 AM
I really can't say enough about MAC and their artist's. I've always been treated well and each trip has been a learning experience. On the other side of the coin the gal that's helped me with my wigs and makeup, in a hair salon environment. Has been a great experience as well. She has worked with CD's in the past. My only comment would be to find someone that has had experience working with CD's.

Renee

MrsDiane
06-06-2010, 06:59 AM
I have used TG North located in Montpelier Vermont on several occasions and have been very happy with the work Clare does

She is a real sweetheart

AKAMichelle
06-06-2010, 09:54 AM
I have had 2 makeovers in CD friendly shops. I don't know exactly why, but they didn't turn out the way I expected. I have gone in a MAC store one time and had them work on my eye shadow.

Lexine
06-06-2010, 02:34 PM
I will be seeing a professional this coming Saturday for a makeover for a party, but it's for a very specific look so I'm hoping it turns out well. Although I do want an actual makeover from a professional, especially since a lot of girls here talk about how their lives were changed when they went to get a makeover at MAC. I do have a few questions about that, and chances are I want me and my girlfriend to have makeovers there at some point.

My Lady Marsea
06-06-2010, 03:04 PM
I like went to a Merle Normans once and got treated super nice, needed makeup anyway and so bought some. It was empty and I was, as usual, dressed but wouldn't have been embarrassed anyway. So I like convinced another TG to try it a couple days later but she was pretty much in the closet at the time, so I talked to the Merle Norman gal for her and made arraignments for just after closing. My friend came in boi mode but did bring her wig and all went well. Only downer to me was that my friend, being like so totally in the closet, cleaned it all off before we left the store. A bummer to me.

Shelly67
06-06-2010, 03:31 PM
Never set foot outside as Shelly ....... hopefully one day perhaps

tamarav
06-06-2010, 03:46 PM
Any of the reputable cosmetic places have artists available to teach you to use their products, that is the idea behind all sales. I originally learned from a Merle Norman, but now in later years as a MAC artist I understand some people's hesitancy to avoid high pressure sales tactics that "make" you buy lots of stuff.

No MAC training that I have ever been through has ever insturcted us to push product. If our enthusiasm for the products we use comes through as pushy, just remind the artist of your budget. That is something all of us can understand.

You may not get the same results with drug store products, but the practice is always helpful.