PDA

View Full Version : Learned a useful new phrase today

Madeleine StClair
06-06-2010, 09:43 PM
Gender-liminal:

I was looking up ... uhh ... trans-something-or-other on Wikipedia, and saw that phrase and thought, hmm, interesting, what does that mean? Well, there was no entry on gender-liminal per se, but liminal refers to a threshold or in-between state. And gender-liminal seems to be used in some of the more enlightened psychological and anthropological literature on transgender issues.

Gender-liminal. I like it. And seeing as I know I'm a crossdresser, but am not sure I'm just a crossdresser, maybe I'll call myself that: it keeps the options open and wouldn't immediately trigger people's ugly preconceptions.

And in an interesting coincidence, one of the cross-refs from the Wikipedia article on liminality (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liminality) is to
Bardo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bardo), which is a Tibetan (Buddhist) word meaning an intermediate (or liminal) state. And it happens that my new favorite coffee shop is called the Bardo Coffeehouse. I had been thinking it might be a good spot for us CD girls to meet up for excursions here in Denver. And I was in there today and asked the owner what the name meant ... he did indeed base it on the Tibetan word, and said he wanted to express the concept of an "in-between space." I didn't pursue the conversation further, but that seems like a good sign, huh?

AKAMichelle
06-06-2010, 10:32 PM
Not bad. Now I wish I drank coffee. :D

NathalieX66
06-06-2010, 10:40 PM
Gender-liminal. huh....have to ponder that one. :thinking:
I can't keep up with these terms.

Lately, the American Psychiatric Association released it's DSM-V, which now lsits transgenderism as gender incongruence meaning not being agreeable to one's birth gender vs. the old DSM-IV discription as gender dysporia. I think the DSM-V's description is a bit more open-ended.

I'm still a crossdresser, though. ...want the best of both worlds. I guess I am gender liminal.

Raine
06-06-2010, 11:55 PM
Gender-liminal is the transitional state between genders. I have to say it is closer to androgyny than to crossdressing. By definition, some androgynes are permanently gender-liminal, stuck in a state between two genders. When one is gender-liminal their gender has no determinacy between male and female.

Christinedreamer
06-07-2010, 02:06 AM
Non-gender binarially sequestered?

Madeleine StClair
06-10-2010, 08:58 PM
Not bad. Now I wish I drank coffee. :D

Well, it's not too late to change your heathen ways, sister :)

Meanwhile, how about tea?

Lately, the American Psychiatric Association released it's DSM-V, which now lsits transgenderism as gender incongruence meaning not being agreeable to one's birth gender vs. the old DSM-IV discription as gender dysporia. I think the DSM-V's description is a bit more open-ended.

Well, that's good to know. Even psychologists can grow!

Oops. I mean psychiatrists.

I'm still a crossdresser, though. ...want the best of both worlds. I guess I am gender liminal.

My feelings exactly ... at least for the time being.

Gender-liminal is the transitional state between genders. I have to say it is closer to androgyny than to crossdressing. By definition, some androgynes are permanently gender-liminal, stuck in a state between two genders. When one is gender-liminal their gender has no determinacy between male and female.

Hmm, okay. That certainly follows from a strict definition of the word. I did get the impression it was used in a broader sense, roughly equivalent to "gender-variant"--but all I did was skim a few articles on line, so I could easily have misunderstood. Have you studied in the field?

PS: Beautiful pic, with an air of mystery!

Non-gender binarially sequestered?

Hey! No making fun, now! I was serious!

Well, a little ... :D

Crysten
06-10-2010, 10:40 PM
Hmm.....How about "Trans-gender-liminal-cross-sexual" - but only on the weekends, of course. During the week it's "Bi-lateral-trans-mogrified-gender-specified-sorta-normal".

Sounds about right to me.

tammygirl79
06-10-2010, 10:46 PM
LMAO...that's toooo funny Crysten, I can't stop laughing!! :)

Crysten
06-10-2010, 11:03 PM
LMAO...that's toooo funny Crysten, I can't stop laughing!! :)

:) Thank you!! I've gotten "in trouble" here for poking fun once in a blue moon-- couldn't resist this one though. :tongueout