PDA

View Full Version : Heel to Toe or Toe to Heel?

Kirra_Moon
06-09-2010, 12:24 PM
Maybe its me because I’m not used to heels, but I have a hard time walking in them (Holy Crap, I walked around a bit in my first pair of “true“ heels and now my legs feel like I just went to gym. Is that normal or do I just lack balance/not used to heels?). When I do walk that classic heel noise (you know the click, click, click, click) is not as rhythmic.

So, I was wondering how does everyone else walk in heels? Is it toe to heel or heel to toe? I’m thinking heel to toe, but since I can’t move me foot normally while I’m wearing heels either method should work (its like I have a club foot or something).

Not sure if this matters but the heel height was about 3-3.5 inches.

Eve_WA
06-09-2010, 01:03 PM
Once you get used to the new angles your feet/ankles are at, and gain the strength, the 'just been to the gym' feeling will subside. It just takes time and practice practice practice...

The click click is often a result of toe to heel walking. Once you get confident in your walk and your shoes, you'll start to walk heel to toe more. It took me about a year to not have to think about walking in heels, for it to become natural. Its easier to get the swish and fluidity of motion walking heel to toe as well. (at least for me). I watched a several 'how to walk in heels' videos, both on Youtube and some of the beauty sites tailored for women, and that is also how they said to walk.

I wear heels up to 5" (I am 5'10"), and with practice am able to walk fairly naturally in them on just about any surface. (watch out for grass. Can we say aireation?) And DONT wear heels on the ice... no matter how well they go with the outfit!!

AlisonRenee
06-09-2010, 01:10 PM
It's heel to toe, but I didn't realize I was doing it until I put on a pair of heels to see what I'm doing.

I watched a couple of the how-to videos, and they are helpful. I didn't realize that I really wasn't allowing my body's center of gravity to shift lower. It helps. So does good posture, head up, shoulders back.

GGs have different hip geometry which, I suspect, for us requires some compensation.

Miss Tanya
06-09-2010, 02:46 PM
Heel to toe, and practice, practice, practice

minalost
06-09-2010, 03:22 PM
Once you get used to the new angles your feet/ankles are at, and gain the strength, the 'just been to the gym' feeling will subside. It just takes time and practice practice practice...

The click click is often a result of toe to heel walking. Once you get confident in your walk and your shoes, you'll start to walk heel to toe more. It took me about a year to not have to think about walking in heels, for it to become natural. Its easier to get the swish and fluidity of motion walking heel to toe as well. (at least for me). I watched a several 'how to walk in heels' videos, both on Youtube and some of the beauty sites tailored for women, and that is also how they said to walk.

I really got a lot out of the "how to walk in high heels" videos as well. They give great tips, and then you can see how it looks. The best one I saw also showed how NOT to walk in heals; the contrast helped make their pointers stick.
:hugs:

JulieC
06-09-2010, 03:40 PM
Heel to toe! And I agree, lots of practice. You might try a lower heel, get accustomed to that first, then move up. Natural walking does NOT involve toe to heel steps. It's heel to toe, even in heels. If you watch women walk around in heels, you will see they walk heel to toe.

Lynn Marie
06-09-2010, 04:08 PM
Is it even possible to walk toe to heel in 4" and higher heels? Heel to toe on flat surfaces. Toes only going up and down stairs. It's supposed to be difficult to walk in heels, that's what makes them so delightful!

Randy
06-09-2010, 07:58 PM
By coincidence, I happened to watch several women at work today as they passed by my office. I was interested to see how they walked in their various sized heels. I have to say that, regardless of heel size, they all walked heel to toe.

Of course, they have had a lot of practice.

Kroma
06-09-2010, 09:45 PM
heel-to-toe means something completely different. Let's just say it'd be best to fall back on the don't ask policy.

As for heels; after years of martial arts and walking on my toes to increase flexibility while kicking, I never had any issues even in the highest of heels. You may want to lengthen your stride, that will help to compensate for the added height. Also, shift your weight in your hips. If you notice when GGs walk in heels those hips really get to swinging sometimes, where as us guys tend to shift our weight in our shoulders. Lowering the center of movement should increase stability.

Hope this helps ...

kymmieLorain
06-10-2010, 12:05 AM
Thanks for posting the info on youtube videos. I checked out a couple. now I cannot wait till I have some time to try.

Kymmie

RachelF
06-10-2010, 01:39 AM
For me, 4.5 and 5 inches work better than lower heels. I do not know the reason. "How to" guides recommend to start with lower heels and add inches as you learn.

I think it has to do with your body and how the center of gravity change for you. And of course practice.

Kate Simmons
06-10-2010, 05:04 AM
Beats me Hon. Just walking in them is an extraordinary feat for many of us.:)

Blaire
06-10-2010, 05:21 AM
Walking forwards or backwards??

DonnaT
06-10-2010, 12:20 PM
You just need to practice more, and to some leg/ankle strengthening exercises, while wearing heels. Try a shorter heel high first and work your way up.

One of our secretaries was complaining about her legs hurting, since she hadn't worn heels in a long while. So it can take some getting use to.

As for balance, if you normally have good balance and strong ankles, you should be fine. I had a stroke 3 yrs ago, so it has become more difficult. Losing weight has helped some, however.

You can get a balance board (http://edge.rit.edu/content/P08001/public/Balance%20Board.png) and work on your balance that way.

Jorja
06-10-2010, 12:42 PM
Yes walking in heels can be difficult for some of us in the beginning. There is a reason for this. A man's center of gravity is in his chest. A woman's center of gravity is in her hips. You need to first learn to shift your center of gravity to your hips. That is easier said than done for most of us. Using the balance board like DonnaT mentioned is an execellent way to do that. Then heel to toe as you go. The key is to practice, practice, practice. Then practice some more.

suzy1
06-10-2010, 01:56 PM
I guess I must be lucky or something. It has never been a problem for me. I must say I find it hard to believe that just because we are C.D. and not G.G. it makes any real difference. When a girl gets to the age when she starts using heels it must seem strange and difficult at first. So it’s the same for us.
I have been using 4” heels for years.
Aren’t heels the sexiest things to wear girls!

Have fun, SUZY

suchacutie
06-10-2010, 04:26 PM
My first heels were 6" heels with 2" platforms! At first thought this might not be intuitively the way to start with heels, but I think it is the PERFECT way to start. Why? Because they force you into small steps and that dance rhythm that's so natural to walking in heels. It took very little time to be able to walk in these heels, and the lower heels were so easy after that!

Also, I hear the litany of "heels hit first" but when I see a woman in heels I hear everything hitting at once, or very close to at once! I love heels and I can no longer detect any time delay between my heel and toe hitting the floor. Ok, so I wear heels for some bit of time every day (they actually help my back...amazing but true..5" clogs!) and I'm very used to heels because of it.

Walking in heels is a very active way to walk. Take short steps, one foot almost (but not quite) in front of the other, keep your legs rather straight, your stomach tight (no one mentions this, but it helps), and lead from your legs/hips. It's a dance, and when you feel that you're dancing, you'll know you have it. Oh, and don't start with long times the first day. It does take a different set of muscles and it takes time to build them up.

As far as stairs, all the books I've read state that one should use the full shoe on stairs, even though I find that just the toe can be ok on the way up! Also, you'll find that your knee will be a bit stressed in very high heels going up and down stairs until you get used to it.

Have fun!!

tina