PDA

View Full Version : Tall dressers

Katie4ever
06-10-2010, 01:54 PM
Hi,

I was wondering if there are many tall CDers on here? I'm 6ft 5in before I even think about wearing heels.

Are there any tips to look less tall?! Or any pointers which help you to stand out from the crowd less (without slouching over!). I know it's probably a daft question but lI think heels do make for so much more a feminine look than flats (although guess that's not always the case) yet if I'm banging my head off every door frame with them on I think I might smudge my makeup a few times! :)

Sorry if a thread like this has been posted elsewhere. If it has perhaps someone could post the link.

Thanks.

SophiaGirl
06-10-2010, 02:05 PM
I would not wear anything over 1 inch.

Heisthebride
06-10-2010, 02:06 PM
I'm with you on this one, I'm 6' 4" in my stocking feet. I not too troubled about looking tall, I am tall. My problem is clothes that fit. Stockings come up just over the knee, waistlines on dressed at my sternum, and it's impossible to find cute shoes in my size.

Be tall and proud. Lots of girls envy long legs.

Kathi Lake
06-10-2010, 02:06 PM
6' 5"? Wow, short of sitting and getting used to flats, I'm not sure. :)

I'm 5' 10" - still taller than average, but it amazes me how many tall women I notice around me. There's a girl in my youth group who is 6' and she wears it well. Sure, she wears mostly flats, but, . . .

:)

Kathi

SummerJ
06-10-2010, 02:14 PM
yeah, I'm about 5'10" or 5'11" (not really sure, I haven't measured myself recently)

I've also noticed that there are plenty of tall women, so height really doesn't bug me.

I'm not really sure if I will ever wear heels... they aren't really my style

pernille d
06-10-2010, 02:19 PM
there are lots of tall women out ther but 6,5" is tall to start with , i think i am pushing the limits at 6,1 , but i bet the extra 4" are just too much , i have long legs too so i understand the coment about stockings comming up just over the knee ( not nice) , and shoes thats a joke as i have big feet . but i just walk tall thats all i can do

minalost
06-10-2010, 02:25 PM
Wow, and I thought I was too tall at 6 feet. I still like heals though, and yes I've banged my head a few times because of them. I do stick to nothing over 3" but those still add a lot of height. Like everyone else has said, though, there are more tall GGs around than you'd think. Just look around and you'll see. Like most of us I spend a lot of time watching GGs just for tips. Even more so the tall ones for this very reason. I think that, as with so much else, confidence is the key. If you look like you're trying to hide your height (by slouching or what not...) you just call attention to it instead.
Just my :2c:.
:hugs:

pernille d
06-10-2010, 02:28 PM
. If you look like you're trying to hide your height (by slouching or what not...) you just call attention to it instead.
J

that just about puts it in a nutshell, hideing it is not a good idea !!! ,

suchacutie
06-10-2010, 03:09 PM
I thought about height as an issue until the day I was sitting in an airport waiting for my plane when a local University girl's basketball team entered the same waiting area. Not only were they incredibly tall, but they all had on heels that were at least 4 inches. Now, this might have been a matter of intimidating the other team in some way, but they didn't worry about tall! It was quite impressive, I must say!

tina

Jamie Burton
06-10-2010, 03:17 PM
A feminine shoe is a feminine shoe, whether it be a ballet flat or a a stiletto heel. The most important thing is you - if you feel comfortable in your look with 4" heels, then wear them. If you feel more comfortable in a cute lower heel, then wear that. If you prefer flats and feel good, then wear those! If you feel good about yourself and how you look, then the shoes will take care of themselves.

Now, full disclosure - I'm only 5'6" tall, but I have lots of GG friends who are all in the 6' range. One has discovered a store called Long Tall Sally, which is based in the UK, and has been ordering from their website (www.longtallsally.com) and likes what she's bought so far. Check them out, perhaps you'll find some dresses cut for someone your height or maybe some stockings that fit.

Julogden
06-10-2010, 03:20 PM
I'm 6'5" also. I have never really gone out in public that much other than to go nightclubbing or support group stuff in Chicago, and I did a lot of that back in the late '80's and much of the '90's. I don't go out anymore, but when I did, I wore lower heels usually, not quite flats, but usually only a 1 or 2 inch heel, although I have worn 4" heels a few times too. I figure that there's no way that you can fool anyone into thinking that you're not way tall, so you might as well go for it and wear heels if you want to. Just look at someone like RuPaul who is very tall too.

Carol

Kathi Lake
06-10-2010, 03:21 PM
Check them out, perhaps you'll find some dresses cut for someone your height or maybe some stockings that fit.Thanks Jamie! I so love dresses, but they always seem to hit me wrong - the waistline hits me right under the bust. Sigh.

I'll check this place out as two-piece dressing can get a bit old.

Kathi

Carly D.
06-10-2010, 04:06 PM
I'm at the six foot mark and I wear any height heels that I want.. Mostly my thinking is I'm a guy, a cross dresser, and I could give a crap about the standard women live by.. I love tall women, and tall women who wear heels is a HUGE turn on.. Call me strange.. But I don't think anyone should be repressed or oppressed (whichever it is that belongs right there) and feel like they should be like the women standard of at this height you wear this heel and it goes down to flats at the giant height.. Whatever

kimdl93
06-10-2010, 04:22 PM
I'm 6'3" so I can empathize!

6'5" is pretty darn tall, but at that height, what difference does 2-3 inches make. You're already towering above the wee people anyway. From their perspective, nothing changes.

I know this from personal experience. Before meeting a new business associate, I learned from one of his unusually diminutive (5'0") staffers that he was really tall, like me. In fact, he was closer to 6'7" and I felt like a little boy standing next to him.

Jennifer in CO
06-10-2010, 04:23 PM
6'3"+ here. I don't like heels over 2-2.5 inches...nosebleeds from the altitude...I stick with darker colors during the summer, anything during the winter as it can hide under a winter coat. Dresses look like a bolt of material running length-wise so I dress 2 piece a lot or the mix-n-match style. Lots of slacks, tops/etc.

I have shared elsewhere, but WAAAAY back when I was on the other side of the fence
(1983 or 84 I believe), wife and I went to a restaurant. I was still in the 6'+ range and I happened to wear a pair of 4" stilettos that night being proud and confident as a young, tall 25ish year old woman. We're sitting in the waiting area, me hitting 6'5 with the shoes and my wife who is 6' in her own right wearing similar, when a couple of the Dallas Diamonds and their dates/SO/etc walk in and ask for a table. These two girls were 6'6"+ stocking foot plus wearing low heels so amazon would be polite... Needless to say the waiting room now drew the attention of anyone within eye-shot with 4 women over 6ft sitting out there. I for the first time ever, felt small! We chatted for a bit while waiting, they were VERY interested in me/my height till I mentioned the asthma and inability to do sports. They were bummed for me, but we continued to chat till we got a table about 10 minutes or so later. After watching them, my confidence went thru the proverbial roof from then on.

Jenn

Cristi
06-10-2010, 04:34 PM
I'm 6'-1" and feel I'm at about the limit of height before it becomes an issue that draws attention.

I know of three women in my day to day life that are my height, so I guess I don't stand out too much, though I do try to avoid wearing heels :(

I'd love to wear a pair of strappy sandals with 4" heels while out, but they would just make me tower above the crowd more than I do now.

The 6-1 itself may not draw attention, but combine it with bigger head, heavier brow, wider shoulders, vanishing hairline and bigger hands and feet and it is just one more factor that contributes to making it VERY hard to blend in.

MDSARA65
06-10-2010, 05:53 PM
Hi,

I was wondering if there are many tall CDers on here? I'm 6ft 5in before I even think about wearing heels.

Are there any tips to look less tall?! Or any pointers which help you to stand out from the crowd less (without slouching over!). I know it's probably a daft question but lI think heels do make for so much more a feminine look than flats (although guess that's not always the case) yet if I'm banging my head off every door frame with them on I think I might smudge my makeup a few times! :)

Sorry if a thread like this has been posted elsewhere. If it has perhaps someone could post the link.

Thanks.

my love

Mandy
06-10-2010, 06:08 PM
I'm about 6'3" & have very broad shoulders, I dont wear heels anymore (I did many years ago) due to having a serious leg injury last year as I have to be very carefull what I have on my feet.:o

So I wear the boring "Not" so Flat style Boots & Sandals:D

Jenny Green
06-10-2010, 06:21 PM
Well, it's good to be in such good company! :-)

I'm 6'2", BTW, and like most of you, I, too, love high heels.

Eddie Bauer (.com) used to carry Tall dresses in misses and women's sizes, and there were some very very pretty ones. I bought one and I love it! But last year, they went bankrupt and the new owners discontinued pretty much all the dresses. :-( Haven't tried Long Tall Sally's, but perhaps I will. It's so nice having a dress that fits where it's supposed to!

I haven't been out in public (yet), but when I think about it, the height issue does come to mind. Some of the advice given here helps, so thanks!

Alice B
06-10-2010, 06:33 PM
Jennifer Lyndon is 6"4" and is beautiful. I've been out with her and being tall is not an issue. In fact many of the cross dressers I see at SRO are tall, so it is not really an issue.

unclejoann
06-11-2010, 12:40 AM
I sew my own clothes because at 6'1" I rarely find anything that fits right.

I continue to learn as I make more clothes and find that good looking classic dresses that fit cannot be beat. I look back two years when i first ventured out in public and see such a difference. Just strive to look better than the last time and don't worry about your height, you will eventually get to where you would like to be.

Tasha McIntyre
06-11-2010, 12:53 AM
Hi Leanne.....wow 6 ft 5.

I'm 6'-1" and feel I'm at about the limit of height before it becomes an issue that draws attention.

I'd love to wear a pair of strappy sandals with 4" heels while out, but they would just make me tower above the crowd more than I do now.

The 6-1 itself may not draw attention, but combine it with bigger head, heavier brow, wider shoulders, vanishing hairline and bigger hands and feet and it is just one more factor that contributes to making it VERY hard to blend in.

Thank you Cristi. That's pretty much how I feel at 6 ft 2. I think I'm a dead giveaway because of my height, but I've conquered that fear now I am a regular at the busy mall. I do try to avoid heels though.

Tash :)

Faye56
06-11-2010, 01:14 AM
I am 6'1" and was very aware of my height when dressed, that was until the evening that I was shopping in a large department store and noticed several women of my own height wearing heels doing their shopping. I know look at myself in a more positive manner.

AshCross
06-11-2010, 04:17 AM
Im 6 foot 5 and finding clothes is a struggle. But I've learned a few things through out my cross dressing years.

1.Buy queensize or superlarge hosiery. (FALKE is a very good brand!)

2. Ballet pumps are also very femine!

3. Don't worry about wearing heels, others will go crazy over your stunning long legs!!!

But the one thing I still can't help is finding shoes that fit in my size!!!! Very difficult!!!

Nicole Erin
06-11-2010, 05:21 AM
looking good and femme has more to do with shape than size.
I am 5'9", which is somewhat within range, but I go to school with a few girls taller than I am. Their height does not make them look any less feminine than my best friend at school who is probably only 5 feet tall.

Have you ever heard anyone say, "She is to tall to really be sexy, if only she were shorter she would look so much better"

I think honestly, being too short would be more of a problem than too tall.

Freddy12
06-11-2010, 06:22 AM
I'm also 6'4", and have trouble finding shoes. There are plenty of tall GG's. I just don't let my height bother me.

Having said that, I have not tried to wear 4" heels, either. I prefer flats or small heels.

Mail order is easiest.

victoriamwilliams1
06-11-2010, 07:43 AM
I am 6ft 8in and wear heels no higher than 3 inches and I go out and interact in the public. The only hint is for you to be yourself and if you want to wear heels do it! I was out a few months ago and met a tall GG who looked me in the face and she had on 4 inch heeled boots! With her boots she had to be about 6ft 6in to 6ft 7in with a body shape that would stop traffic and make men chase her! This girl had to be in her 20's and for me I was just glad to see tall women at events and she is the 2nd one who is near my height I had seen this year and in both cases they had on heels. I will save flats for when I get 140 years old.

So don't worry about your height just dress in a manner that would be impressive and start looking at sites to see how tall women dress.

pamela_a
06-11-2010, 07:50 AM
What is the problem?

I've transitioned so I'm out there everyday. I'm 6'5" in stocking feet and I usually wear heels which are 3" or less. I rarely even give my height a second thought. There are a lot of other tall women out there so stand tall and proud.

I usually wear skirts and a blouse since I can use them to break up my height some but I also regularly wear dresses too.

If you're looking for shoes try Cloudwalkers at Avenue, that's my #1 shoe source. A girlfriend of mine just told me about www.barefoottess.com (http://www.barefoottess.com) which has some really cute shoes in larger sizes too.

Janet Bern
06-11-2010, 03:01 PM
I am 6'3 and usually always wear flats when wearing a casual skirt. When I wear pants I usually will wear a 3/4 inch heel so the pants fit at the shoes.
I used to buy my clothes at tall girls shop but they are all closed in the US.
I am still looking to find a tall womans clothing store in the northeast US where I can try on the clothes before buying.

joandher
06-11-2010, 03:57 PM
LONG TALL SALLY in the U.K. sell shoes for the taller girl up to U.K.size 11 which i belive is a 13 U.S.A with varios size of heels

Sorry about this im only 5ft 6in and take a 6 shoe and dress size 8 uk which is a 4 U.S. I feel for you taller girls

J-JAY

Fab Karen
06-11-2010, 06:53 PM
Stand in a ditch. Seriously, all you can do is wear flats - btw there are "flats" with a 1.5-2" heel ( for shopping etc. - for a nightclub heels are good ). And walk tall & proud- if they're staring, they must be in love:)

AriannaVillota
06-11-2010, 07:07 PM
I concur! Walk tall and proud. I'm 5'11" and 6'3" in my heels, and I enjoy being tall.

That being said, it could be worse. You could be this tall.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/11/25/amazon-eve-tall-model-tow_n_371418.html

Leslie Langford
06-11-2010, 09:08 PM
...which is on the tall side for GG's, but as others here have pointed out, also far from being rare either.

Actually, I'm finding it a rather good height to be, as that is the height range most runway models fall into, and the clothes that they showcase are generally cut to drape well over that type of build.

As I go out more and more en femme shopping for (and trying on) women's clothes, I have noticed that because of this, the sleeve and pants lengths of the regular sizes generally fit me perfectly, with no further alterations required.

And more and more frequently, I am finding that SA's compliment me for the way the clothes that I am trying on look on me, while at the same time expressing the wish that they were tall like me so that clothes would fit them equally well.

Of course, this get us into the whole issue of how some people feel that the fashion industry really doesn't design clothes with the average woman in mind, and against which we are seeing a backlash these days. But as things stand - rightly or wrongly - being tall and slender is still considered to be the gold standard for GG's by the powers that be, and I am enjoying my above-average height as a GG wannabe while it lasts.

jenniferj
06-11-2010, 09:41 PM
Hi Leanne,

Wear what you like - there are tall girls out there, and they (like you) worry about heels. The ones who don't worry about it look sensational. Just be confident that you look good.

The simple truth is that unless you are one in a million, people will read you pretty quickly. Don't worry about it. Dress in a style that you like and that fits in with where you are. Also remember that flats will make your "tall girl" feet look huge.:eek:

-jj

Kara Connor
06-12-2010, 01:14 AM
Depends what you want to do. Maybe it is hard to "pass" if you are tall, but it is easier to look fabulous, especially in heels. I am happy to look as good as I can at 6'2", which means I'll wear flats with a casual outfit, but for a more glam look it has to be heels! Confidence is the key.

Jamz1b
06-12-2010, 01:33 AM
I have seen a hand full of GG's out there who are over 6'3" + (Im abou there). And they are so awsome in there 4 inch heals and confidance! I think they look amazing and they do. Good style and great attitude will over come any other atributes. Just think of your self as a runway model and have fun.

Jamie Burton
06-12-2010, 01:20 PM
Thanks Jamie! I so love dresses, but they always seem to hit me wrong - the waistline hits me right under the bust. Sigh.

I'll check this place out as two-piece dressing can get a bit old.

Kathi

Kathi,

I've never been able to find a dress that really fits me just right. I'm a size 8 from the waist down and either a 10 or 12 (depending on style and manufacturer) on top. I refuse to wear hip padding so I have a lot of two piece outfits. Perhaps down the road I'll find a dress but until then I'm happy with mixing and matching my skirts and tops. I'd rather have clothes that fit everywhere than only some places.

Sweeterica
06-12-2010, 01:33 PM
Im 5 11and half + so wearing any heel over 3inch and i feel very aware of my height,as the other girls say there are a lot of tall GG about many over 6ft so really its down to how you feel about it.

Danni Kay
06-12-2010, 03:44 PM
I'm 6' 1". I don't mind being tall so much as I do having big feet. I take a women's size 14. I wish I took even a 11 or 12 rather than that! It makes it difficult to buy shoes. I'd love to go shoe shopping in regular stores but this isn't to be.

I buy my shoes online and usually wear flats.

Dresses are also a problem for me. The woman at Dress Barn suggested I wear sleeveless sheath dresses as they would fit me better.

Jennifer Silverstone
06-12-2010, 03:54 PM
I'm 6'3" barefoot, and normally don't wear more than a 3" heel. That way I look proportional in photos so long as I'm not standing next to anything or anyone that gives a sense of scale! Blank walls are my preferred backgrounds, and it helps to put the camera on a tripod that is taller than me, so that it looks like I was photograpphed by someone taller and I then look normal! Not managed to translate that trick to everyday life though...:sad::battingeyelashes:

Mackenzie
06-12-2010, 03:55 PM
I am 6'-1". At first my height was a problem. I am not out alot, maybe more in the future, who knows, but I do get out. I see more and more GG's who are over 6'.

I purchased a really nice spaghetti strap dress from a girl off of Craig's List. She happened to live in the St. Louis area so we met up. She was 6'. I was in drab, but we discussed height (not telling her the dress was for me, or discussing my cd-ing). She said her best friend, a GG, is 6-5". Then her parting comment, "Wear your height with joy!"

I find good tall items at www.jcpenney. Go to "women's" and then the "Tall" section under that. They do have some good, reasonably priced items.

For shoes, I do www.endless.com or www.zappos.com and shop by size. I wear a men's 12 so that is a women's 14. Believe it or not, the selection is not too bad.

Mackenzie

Christina Horton
06-13-2010, 02:12 AM
I'm 5 9 1/2. I used to be 5/10 but have started the shrinking thing ( I'm only just turned 40) and I love high heals. I may be 7 feet wide but at least I don't roll on my side. Then I'd be tall lol. When I'm in my heals I'm like 6/2 or 6/3. But that not out of the ordanairy. If you wear heals that are 3 in or better it does not make you look taller just gives your legs a scalpured look and very fem to boot. If you want to wear them then do it and to hell with what others think.

CD Susie
06-13-2010, 02:26 AM
I'm 6' and I my average heel size is 3"

I do own a pair that are black 6" peep toe heels and believe it or not I walk pretty dang good in them too. Feel awkward though towering over my 5' 8" girlfriend.

Katie4ever
06-13-2010, 02:14 PM
Thanks for everyone's advice (and for everyone's commiserations!). Definitely given me a few things to think about...and removed some of my self-doubt about being so tall!

AriannaH
06-13-2010, 05:18 PM
I'm 6'6" and like wearing 4 and 5" high heels. I say wear what ever makes you feel good.

monika
06-13-2010, 06:23 PM
6'3" here.
I love hiheels but don`t go out, so it`s not a problem.
Besides, tall girls are hot:heehee:

MsJanessa
06-13-2010, 08:17 PM
5'11'' here, without heels, and I don't own a pair of shoes or boots that have less than a 3'' heel and most have between 4'' and 6'' heels---If you are going for that domme look, then tall is good

prene
06-13-2010, 08:56 PM
I agree with ArianneVillota.

The problem I had is when I hugged one of the GG girls(I go out with) she kidded me that my breasts are at her face and then laughs and burys her head in them.

I concur! Walk tall and proud. I'm 5'11" and 6'3" in my heels, and I enjoy being tall.

That being said, it could be worse. You could be this tall.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/11/25/amazon-eve-tall-model-tow_n_371418.html