PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever bought something, wore it once, and decided you didn't like it?

FemmeElastique
06-12-2010, 04:45 PM
Have you ever bought something, wore it once, and decided you didn't like it and didn't wanna wear it again? Happened to me. I bought this long dress and I don't really like it that much. I wish I could return it but I don't have the receipt anymore. I like to show a lot of skin and be sexy when I dress up and this dress kinda doesn't allow for that.

Deborah Jane
06-12-2010, 04:53 PM
Yes, more times than I care to remember :doh:
Things that looked good in the shop, things I really liked the style of, but once home.......Yeuchh, I hated it :puke:

sissystephanie
06-12-2010, 04:54 PM
Try to return it without the receipt! Lots of stores, and online shops, will allow that.

I can't tell you how many things I have returned over the years. Some things look good on the hangar, but not on my body!! Good luck sending your dress back!!

FemmeElastique
06-12-2010, 04:56 PM
Try to return it without the receipt! Lots of stores, and online shops, will allow that.

I can't tell you how many things I have returned over the years. Some things look good on the hangar, but not on my body!! Good luck sending your dress back!!

I may try that. I did buy the dress from Wal-Mart, and u know they accept practically anything back. I'd exchange it for this cute, short pink dress with sparkles on it that I want!

paulinescotlandcd
06-12-2010, 05:07 PM
Wll, if you don't try you will never know....good luck....(or perhaps sell it on Ebay if they do not take it back?)

FemmeElastique
06-12-2010, 05:07 PM
omg update! I found the receipt!!! :-)

@Pauline- I was thinking about selling it on ebay. But since I found the receipt I think I'll just go exchange it for something cuter and sexier ;-)

thechic
06-12-2010, 05:28 PM
Hi there

I do that all the time, go out shopping find something thinking it looks great, try it on ,buy it then go home next time i go out i put it on and find ,it just not right for me and never wear it again.:doh:

charlie
06-12-2010, 07:05 PM
I hate it when I do that! What a waste of money. It usually happens when I order something online. The idea of the outfit that I thought I was putting together just wasn't right when I received the package and opened it. What a disappointment. Now I go to stores and am actually saving money that way.....especially at Marshall's and Ross.

MWCMDarlene
06-12-2010, 07:22 PM
There are only two things that I can remember buying, wearing them once or twice and not liking them. On a couple of occassions, i have brought bras that didn't fit. You follow the 70 million different sizing charts and come up with a size, go buy it, and it doesn't even come close to fitting. Boy, what an ordeal to take a bra back to exchange.

The other item was a wig. Wore it a couple of times, hated the way it fit, restyled it and still didn't like it, so I threw it away. Have done this twice.

LisaTaylor
06-12-2010, 07:27 PM
Sadly, more than once. It isn't easy guest-imating sizes, especially when manufacturer's Small is another's Medium. Sigh. I have the most trouble with dresses, mostly in the shoulder area. I usually have to go bare-shoulder, otherwise if it fits in the top, it's usually baggy in the lower end - and winds up looking lousy.

Michelle Charles
06-12-2010, 08:17 PM
Yeah, the first jockstrap I ever had, back in about 7th grade!! Yikes I hated those things:)

Sarah Doepner
06-12-2010, 08:27 PM
I've even done it at thrift stores a few times. It's always store credit with them and has to be done within a short time frame, but some allow for clothing exchanges.

Fab Karen
06-12-2010, 08:34 PM
In years past, when I'd find things at thrift shops, the beginning days I used to buy stuff just cause it fit, and "maybe I'll wear it eventually." These days I think about how much I want it- including if I'd enjoy wearing it. I stopped buying "eh" clothes. Saves money & space.

lilmissjenny
06-12-2010, 08:37 PM
i have recently bought some stuff that looked good in the store but didnt look good on me. i may take it to goodwill or something.

Jason+
06-12-2010, 08:58 PM
It was a walmart purple easter dress that just looked adorable on the rack. Unfortunately when I brought it home I learned about what an empire waste is and that what they did for me is make me look very pregnant. A beautiful dress simply had to go back.

TGMarla
06-12-2010, 11:10 PM
Have you ever bought something, wore it once, and decided you didn't like it?

What, are you kidding here? Of course! Too many times.

You put it on, all excited, and you're like....what were you thinking?

It's like a rite of passage for a crossdresser.

(And some of those things that just didn't fit......*sob!* :cry:)

AKAMichelle
06-12-2010, 11:21 PM
Yes - A few times. UMM! Maybe more than that but who's counting. :D

Diane Smith
06-13-2010, 12:00 AM
Yes, of course, all the time! After an appropriate period of mourning for a purchase that died young, I periodically clean out my closet and donate the unworn or unwearable to Goodwill.

You'd probably get fewer responses by asking who this hasn't happened to!

- Diane

Carissa
06-13-2010, 01:11 AM
Same here, I would be terrified to know how much money I've thrown away on ebay only to find that something either doesn't fit right or doesn't fit at all. The whole experience actually makes it that much more of a shocker when you buy something, try it on, and love it!

Over the past couple years, as has already been said, I've made the switch to "brick and mortar" stores so I at least have the option to return an item if I find that I hate it.

The only problem now is when I get something, try it on, cut the tags off, and after wearing it once or twice, realize I'm just not that crazy about it.

GG's go through the same thing though, so I guess it's just the nature of the beast.:bonk:

Gisele
06-13-2010, 06:22 AM
I use to do it all of the time. It looked good on the rack but not on me.

Now, I just take my picks and go try them on before I buy. 99% of the time I am still happy with what I bought when it comes to wearing it out.

Simply_Vanessa
06-13-2010, 06:53 AM
That just happened to me! I bought a 48.00 top (the one in my album) and even though its kind of cute, it only ends up making me look prego! So i'm returning it and getting a tunic, 2 pairs of earrings, and 3 panties all for the same price online :)

janet p
06-13-2010, 01:03 PM
I've done that many times but what I do rather then return them, I save them up then donate them to one of the local womens shalters.:love::love:

Audrey34
06-13-2010, 05:36 PM
yes, that's happened to me many times. I usually ended up giving the clothing to the Salvation Army.
-Audrey

Chloe Renee
06-13-2010, 09:23 PM
I have impulse bought many outfits over the years. I tend to return the
before I actually wear them.

eluuzion
06-14-2010, 03:54 AM
Yep, a wedding ring. I have tried two of them now. Both times I ended up looking like a fool when I was out with my friends. They were too nice to tell me how ridiculous it looked given the circumstances everyone knew about but me.

I finally figured out that I look much better wearing heels...:love:

victoriamwilliams1
06-15-2010, 06:55 AM
I have done that a few times and now if I can I will try it on at the store or I will make 100% sure that it is not an impulse purchase.

kimdl93
06-15-2010, 12:02 PM
a few times. I just bought a top that I didn't like a great deal. I'll return it as I have other items that just didn't fit me or look the way I wanted.

Nicole Erin
06-15-2010, 02:46 PM
What woman has not done this?

So when I can, I try on things at the store. Even looking on the rack, I can usually tell the ones that are like "Looks good hanging on the rack, but I know it would not be cute to wear".

Just learn from mistakes is all. You soon learn what looks good on the rack and what looks good to wear.

Sometimes, things don't look so appealing on the rack but you wear it and it is like, "Well, this DOES work".

Just don't make the mistake of buying things just to have a new piece to add to the wardrobe.

Loni
06-15-2010, 05:55 PM
my closet is full of things my mom has bought..and then not ever worn.(she then gives them to me) even her garage sales have new clothing...with the sales tag on them.
but i do call her the return queen. :heehee: only i can get away with that line.

i just know at the next clothing swap i will have a bunch of stuff. :eek:

docrobbysherry
06-15-2010, 07:30 PM
That's why I shop at thrift stores, and why I have SO MUCH STUFF!:doh:

If I don't like it, bad fit, or I missed a rip or stain, I give it back to them on my NEXT visit!:) Or, keep it for the material!:brolleyes:

busker
06-16-2010, 12:35 AM
yes, my first wife.
just kidding.
I almost always decide on something twice before I buy and and rarely make that mistake. measure twice, cut once is a good policy in most aspects of life.

josie_S
06-16-2010, 12:49 AM
All.
The.
Time.

goodwill and salvation army sure has gotten some lightly used clothes from me because I couldn't find a receipt.

Jocelyn Quivers
06-16-2010, 06:09 AM
All of the time. I will see an outfit in the store, purchase it, imagine how lovely it will look on me, try it on, become very happy because it fits properly. I then go into 100% Jocelyn mode take pictures in the outfit, discover I really look like a ogre in the outfit and realize it does not look good on me. If I haven't stretched it beyond regonition, I give it to the Mrs.

BRANDYJ
06-16-2010, 07:07 AM
I bet we all have. I know I have bought things that looked good in the store or on-line and hated the way it looked on me. Then the few times that I bought things that were the usual sizes that I know fit, only to find out that it is much smaller then what other makers consider that size.

Karen__Starr
06-16-2010, 08:00 AM
Yes many times, also in male clothes too.
Most items I return if I am not happy with them.

Companies want to keep your business and will usually return items without proof of purchase especially if they recognize you as a regular customer.

What surprised me recently is I purchased a pair of $40 panties (http://www.du-mi.com/store/product-info.php?pid7.html) off the Internet. I loved them but will never purchase another pair at that price even though my guess is they are worth around $20. Roughly one month pasted by and I got another pair in the mail. I checked to see if I was charged and was not. Next I contacted the company, after several emails back and forth they said keep them. My guess is that a) they are over priced b) they want me to come back and purchase more items.

Like the story I just told retailers not more than ever are willing to give you credit or money to keep you as a customer.

The basic restrictions (my guess) are under garments are the exception and items that had their tags removed.

suchacutie
06-16-2010, 02:57 PM
Until we learn what works with our body shapes we have to make mistakes. My biggest mistake is not asking my wife's opinion. I'm not always wrong, but she never is!!! I wonder how much longer it will be before I gain her insight into women's clothes???

tina