PDA

View Full Version : If Only I Were A Swimmer...

Madilyn
08-12-2004, 03:13 PM
Hey Girls,

With the Olympics beginning tomorrow, I found this article rather interesting (especially considering my current domestic "issues"). Unfortunately, I can't suddenly claim to be a competing swimmer to mask my shaving.

Considering I barely passed the swimming requirement for the military and I seem to swim farther and faster dog-paddling than breast stroking (although I have been known to stroke a mean breast in other arenas), I doubt I'll adopt the swimming excuse. I think I'd have better luck using the clean-shaven body-builder excuse...but then I'd have to work out like a fiend :(

So, for those of you who are just beginning to enter our world, you can always purchase some speedos and hit the pool...you'll fit right in...

Here's the article:

Shaving down: Swimming’s painful ritual: Minuscule effect on aerodynamics offset by mental edge provided

The Associated Press
Updated: 5:14 p.m. ET Aug. 12, 2004 ATHENS, Greece

Erik Vendt holds up his left leg, pointing to a dime-sized scar on the shin.

“I did that when I was 11 years old,” he said, sounding like someone proudly showing off an old war wound. “That was the first summer I shaved. I bled for a half hour. The bathroom floor was covered in blood. I could hardly swim that night.”

He’s 23 now, preparing to compete in his second Olympics and still participating in a ritual that’s unique to swimming. While Vendt has been growing a scraggly beard for the past month, he’ll break out a razor Friday night and shave himself from head to toe — all in an effort to go a little faster once he dives into the water.

It’s called “shaving down.” Rest assured, all those hairy faces and shaggy legs that were seen around the pool in the days leading up the Athens Games will be as smooth as Grecian marble once the eight-day swimming competition begins Saturday.

Everyone seems to acknowledge that shaving doesn’t improve performance all that much, certainly no more than a fraction of a second. But the minuscule effect on aerodynamics is more than offset by the mental edge it provides.

“I like the feeling of the water hitting my face,” said Vendt, rubbing the beard that soon will be coming off. “At most, the difference is probably a tenth of a second. But if you feel like you’re going fast, you’ll go fast.”

Not that it’s a pleasant ordeal. The night before a race, swimmers gather in their bathrooms, lather up and put blade to skin on every part of their body that won’t be covered by the swimsuit or cap. It takes at least an hour and requires help to shave those hard-to-reach areas on the back.

The result: plenty of tiny nicks — or worse.

“I’ve done it enough times that I can minimize the pain,” said Bryce Hunt, another U.S. Olympian. “I usually manage to avoid some of the huge gashes that you see on some people. It’s not so much at the big meets. These people know what they’re doing. But when you go to state meets, things like that, you’ll see a person who’s really cut up his leg.”

To shave down, you must have something to shave off. Many male swimmers opt for beards during their training periods between meets; on the women’s side, they’ll let underarm and leg hair grow out.

It’s mind over matter. A swimmer who trains with a bushy body will feel downright sleek — and probably faster — after the hair washes down the drain. Of course, the training sessions before a meet resemble a Grateful Dead concert, with all sorts of unkempt people jostling for space.

“It’s part of the job description — hairy legs,” U.S. women’s co-captain Lindsay Benko said.

Shaving down has taken on a little less significance with the advent of cutting-edge bodysuits, which cover more skin than previous attire and provide even less resistance to water than skin. Most men now compete in suits that cover at least the upper legs, while Australian star Ian Thorpe wears a full suit, leaving only his face, arms and huge feet exposed to the water.

Still, as Benko put it, bodysuits don’t eliminate the need for shaving.

“If you’re hair grows long enough, it will stick through the suit,” she said. “It’s still a big deal, though I’m sure it’s more mental than anything else.”

Shaving down can be a major drawback to youngsters in those formative years when they’re just getting serious about the sport — especially boys. Vendt remembers being the butt of many jokes when he was growing up, sometimes escalating to the point of blows being exchanged.

“Everyone makes fun of you,” he recalled. “They’ll say, ’Oh, you shave your legs. What a girl.’ Sometimes, I’d get in a fight about it. I had to defend my honor.”

While the new suits have lessened the importance of shaving, coaches such as Jon Urbanchek, an assistant on the U.S. team, are reluctant to jump off the razor bandwagon. They’re convinced that it still has an affect on their swimmers, giving them a better feel in the water and a definite boost in confidence.

“I’m not about to tell my kids that they don’t need to shave down,” he said.

Lenny Krayzelburg strolled off the deck of the Olympic pool Thursday evening, having just completed a workout with a week-old beard beginning to fill in around the cheeks and chin. He’s a firm believer that shaving makes him go faster.

Take the U.S. Olympic trials. Krayzelburg was coming back from two shoulder surgeries and felt the need for a little something extra in the 100-meter backstroke. So, he shaved down before the preliminaries and semifinals — then did it again before the next night’s final. He managed to finish second, earning a spot on the American team.

“Some people who don’t have hair still shave,” said Krayzelburg, winner of three gold medals in Sydney. “It’s not so much the hair, it’s what it does to the surface of the skin. It’s hard to explain. Before you shave, you have that everyday feel in the water. You’re looking for a new feel.”

Well, the Olympics are almost here. Let the shaving begin.

If they only knew... ;)

Kisses,

Maddy :cool:

Bernadina
08-12-2004, 03:24 PM
I was wondering why you can't shave your body hair?

Unless you have a partner who likes hair, no one else will probably ever notice. If they do, its unlikely they will ever mention it.

I have my legs, arms, chest etc shaved and as far as I can tell it has never been noticed not even by my kids. It all started when I picked up some kind of skin rash in Mexico and the only way I could properly apply the cream was to shave the hair.

The rash is long gone and hair keeps on going.

Alex
08-12-2004, 03:30 PM

Unless you have a partner who likes hair, no one else will probably ever notice. If they do, its unlikely they will ever mention it.

I have my legs, arms, chest etc shaved and as far as I can tell it has never been noticed not even by my kids. It all started when I picked up some kind of skin rash in Mexico and the only way I could properly apply the cream was to shave the hair.

Speaking about my own situation, I cannot shave. My girlfriend isn't crazy about my hair, but she views it as a part of who I am. She also doesn't agree with my crossdressing (I can do it, as long as she is out of the house). She wouldn't take kindly to me feminizing my appearance in any way.

Also, I play rugby and hockey. I'm sure some of the guys would notice in the change room...they might not react in the kindest way.

Bernadina
08-12-2004, 03:36 PM

Also, I play rugby and hockey. I'm sure some of the guys would notice in the change room...they might not react in the kindest way.

Ah yes, I can see your point. Especially if you've been playing with the same guys for some time. Its too bad you don't play soccer. Like Beckham, who wears pink nail polish and large diamond studded earings. Probably shaves too.

Julie
08-12-2004, 06:38 PM
Maddy,

I am a swimmer and I can safely say shaving down cuts times. I initially cut almost a minute the first time I swam after shaving. Since then I am down over three minutes from my pre-shaved best time in the 2000 meter freestyle. I feel like greased lightning every time I jump in the pool. This makes me puch myself harder which results in better times. And my times are still dropping.

My wife anxiously awaits my first competition so she can say her husband is shaved because he's a swimmer. She's not too hip on bragging about me being a crossdresser :rolleyes:

On Sept 11 there's a swim in Chicago in Lake Michigan called Big Shoulders. There's 2500 meters and 5000 meters. I am still debating doing that. I would get killed from the times I saw from last year but everyone medals and my wife would have something to show why her husband's skin is smoother than hers. :p

Madilyn
08-12-2004, 08:53 PM

I've always mentioned my wife in my threads and her disdain for all things hairless. She insists I maintain my beard 24/7/365 and pitches a major fit when I shave it off. I somewhat resent her inflexibility, but then again...I don't have to look at myself either.

I'll have about a week's growth back when she comes home Saturday, but I'll still catch hell...if she notices the rest of my body, it'll probably turn ugly. The strange thing is, it is extremely cool here now and I've been wearing long sleeves and jeans. If I can keep that up for a few weeks, I'll have enough hair grown back that it'll be a non-issue, but I'm afraid this is August in the Mid-West and it'll snap back to blistering here very soon I'm afraid.

Believe me, I'd love to have a rash as an excuse, but unless I stroll through poison ivy, I'm totally rashless and hairless right now... :eek:

Miss Sherry
08-12-2004, 10:13 PM
I guess I'm lucky, in that I'm single and don't have a spouse or GF to worry about. I've been shaving everything for over 3 years now, and the times I get lazy and let it grow back I really feel gross! I can't imagine having hairy legs, arms, etc; ever again! :eek:

I do wear long-sleeve shirts at work, so there's no problem there, although I agree with Samantha, unless someone points it out, nobody notices anyway.

2 years ago I overdid the Nair and became sensitized to it. My legs swelled up like a really bad sunburn, and ever since then, very little hair grows there anyway ... so if you need an excuse, say you reacted to the Nair ... Oh, that won't work, either, will it :p

Sherry :)