PDA

View Full Version : comments, critiques, suggestions?

Alayna
08-13-2004, 03:13 AM
Okay, so some of you know I make my own clothes, here is the latest thing I've made. It's an overbust corset made out of brocade and satin. I definitely made it too short (without a top the nipples show:eek: ) and I got royally sick of trying to sew the trim, but overall I'm pretty happy. I'd love some feedback on how it looks, positive or negative. I'm talking to a lady at the moment about possibly selling these in her shop, so any critique will be helpful. thanks:)

jeanette
08-13-2004, 03:47 AM
go for it alayna, that looks fantasic i wish i had your talent let me know if you if you start taking orders definately be interested in buying one

cuddles

Jennifer_Ph
08-13-2004, 06:35 AM
I love it! Very beautiful! You have a lot of talent! WOW!

Tristen Cox
08-13-2004, 01:48 PM
You have a wonderful skill here. Impressive work.

I Love It

clarissa3d
08-13-2004, 03:06 PM
Alayna, I would critique your work but I can only say WOW very very nice. And yes trim in a pain. A good sewing machine will help.

again you do great work.

Clarissa
:)

Alayna
08-14-2004, 07:50 AM
Wow *blush*! Thanks everyone - really though, it's not talent, its patience and stubbornness. If anyone wants to give it a shot, drop me a line and I'll show how to do it...again, thanks!

Scaredsis
08-14-2004, 08:04 AM
Alayna

Outstanding !!! You have quite a talent, keep it up. Please let us know
if you decide to market them I would be very interested. I dont think I could do anything like that. I will look forward to seeing other of your creations.
Keep up the good work.

Hugs,
Betty

odelay
08-14-2004, 09:41 AM
Very nice work.

Wen4cd
08-14-2004, 11:15 AM
I love the colors and the print, the whole thing looks awesome.

Amelie
08-14-2004, 11:59 AM
Very nice Alayna, I like the quilted Brocade fabric, I just bought some brocade fabric , black with silver flowers. I'm gonna try and make a corset style dress.

From a fan of Iria and Avira-Amelie

Alayna
08-15-2004, 12:24 AM
Again, thank you all! Your responses have made me really about getting more serious about this! If anyone has heard of Phyllis' Fantasies in Denver (you might know it, Erica), this is the place I might be "featured". There is nothing solid, as I've yet to show her anything but a picture and we've really only talked a few times, spaced out over months. So before anything, I'd like to get her permission to do a demo for her store, using her measurements, and see how it works. It would be a good test as I've only drafted patterns for myself (although my body shape is difficult at best for drafting accurately). All that said, I would love the opportunity down the road to make something for you all. I'm not quittin' my day job though so It'll be a while;) . For anyone who wants one now, here's some things to consider:
1) First and foremost, over anything else.....GO CUSTOM! It's the only way if you want a "real" corset, anything else won't fit right and will be painful. A good corset shouldn't hurt, it really should only pull in the waist. However, for a man's shape expect a little pressure and compression of the ribs to make a more feminine figure. A little bruising (emphasis on LITTLE) is okay, difficulty breathing and lots of pain is bad, bad, news. If you ignore your body, you can actually cause bodily harm - I've never heard of any instances personally, but I do know that it could happen under the right (wrong) circumstances.
2) the male waist is lower than the female, so avoid anything with a sharp, defined, waistline - go for something a little smoother and blended for a more convincing look (does that make sense?).
3) Many corset shops recommend that men go for an underbust style due to improper fit on overbusts...I've drafted patterns and built both, and although the underbust might be better for heavy shaping or tightlacing, an overbust if custom-made should be fine with forms (just make sure to do measurements with forms on:p )
4) Don't go for anything with plastic boning! (this is more of #1) It won't hold its shape and is only good for fashion... My first corset was an off-the-rack overbust with plastic that didn't fit well and is totally out of shape now. Granted, it's the reason I fell in love with corsets, but the thing cost me $150 bucks! Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't pay over $50 for it!
I'm almost done drafting a new pattern for myself (higher bustline this time) for an idea I had last week: a pink taffeta corset with black satin trim and boning channels. I'll try and post pics often - it might be fun to watch the progression:p . If I can find the disk, I'll post pics of an underbust I finished a couple months ago...again thank you all for the wonderful comments!

Amanda Y
08-15-2004, 01:09 AM
your corset is gorgeous, I only wish I had your talent. I cant wait to see future creations Alayna. The pink taffeta and black trim sounds divine!

Elinor
08-25-2004, 02:15 PM
Well done your corset is gorgeous keep it up girl.

KewTnCurvy GG
08-25-2004, 02:21 PM
WOW!

(i'm jealous!)

nuffsaid
08-25-2004, 02:48 PM
It could use a better bust line, but otherwise its great.

Alayna
08-25-2004, 09:25 PM
yeah, I just kept trimming and trimming to make it even and whoops! Made it below the bustline:eek: . The one I'm working on now is over 3 inches higher with a more defined sweetheart bustline

Danielle1960
08-26-2004, 04:14 PM
Very nice!! Wish I could do that. :)

sweetvici
08-26-2004, 07:31 PM
Being awfully new to what's in "Fashion" and what's not, I might not be what you would call an expert, But it looks real good to me, I'd love to own and wear someting that pretty, Especialy if it was custom made to fit me! SO, SIGN ME UP!!! Quick before the price goes up!!! L.O.L!!! Vici