PDA

View Full Version : Job interviews

Ze
06-21-2010, 11:56 AM
What is the etiquette or usual protocol for approaching a job interview when trans? I have yet to even legally change my name (hoping to have that done by fall), but I'll be starting to live full-time as much as possible regardless.

I realize that it'll be impossible for me to go stealth at a job and that I'll have to tell somebody interviewing me that I'm trans, but I'm not sure how or when to go about that. When asking for open positions? During an actual interview if I get called back? Some other point before or after? If the interviewer has little or no knowledge of the term, how far should I explain? Should I give no further explanation unless explicitly asked? Would it be "wrong" of me to correct them if they continuously call me "ma'am" or use the wrong pronouns? Would it be "rude" of me to make certain requests, such as the importance of me wearing a name tag that has my preferred name as opposed to my legal one? Can I ask about discrimination policies? I want to be full-time at a job that I feel safe working in, but I also don't want to come off like I think I'm so special and need extra catering.

I'll be applying for pharmacy technician jobs; don't know if that information helps anybody's answer. My on-campus jobs won't be much of a problem for me in this regard since the campus already knows I'm trans. But these off-campus jobs leave me anxious.

Edit: And no worries about what I'd wear. I actually have that covered. :)

Lorileah
06-21-2010, 12:20 PM
The honest answer on that is you should not have to justify that to anyone on an interview. Unless there is some reason gender would be important it should be a non-issue. Really a "Nunya" moment. It is Nunya bidness what I do or who I see as long as the job is performed correctly. In a pharmacy tech position, it should not matter as long as you don't dress like someone from "Cherry Poppin' Daddies" (Google it kid). You would wear a lab coat of some sort, slacks, comfortable shoes and you would physically be clean and neat in appearance. If, as time goes on, you need to take time to have some sort of SRS and it will pull you from the job, that might be when you talk to the boss, but even then it is your time and you would probably schedule that for personal time off.

All that is how it SHOULD be and legally how it SHOULD be. But as we know, interviews are not impartial and most jobs are given by how well the boss likes you. So be yourself, show them you have the chops and pray. Good luck kid

Teri Jean
06-21-2010, 12:21 PM
Ze, a gal friend of mine has been transitioning and was unemployed for some time. She was having the same concerns as you are and finally just went in for the interview as herself. Although she was over qualified for the position she was hired and that was that.

If the question comes up then be honest realizing you do not need to do the disertation of the whats and whys but that you are transitioning and prefer to be recognized as "Ze".

Ze
06-21-2010, 12:38 PM
Thank you, ladies. :) I guess my only real concern is how I'd put down information on the initial form. So it's okay to write "Milo" on the form even though my SSN, once they assuredly research it, will obviously say otherwise? I'm just unsure if it's better to be upfront about it before somebody would see that indiscretion. *shrugs* I guess I'm worried that I wouldn't even get the initial callback because they'd think I was being dishonest or sneaky on my application.

Oh, and unfortunately, Lori, the last pharmacy I worked at had uniforms differ based on sex. Or rather, "females" had to wear smocks colored based on their position, while "males" didn't have to wear any smocks at all. We won't even get into name tags. :straightface: Yeah...that job wasn't cool. Worked there for over four years.

pamela_a
06-21-2010, 12:48 PM
The only issue I could possibly think of would be the difference between your legal name (for paychecks, social security, insurance, and such) and the name you would like to be called. This information could be passed along at the interview, orientation, or when you're filling out the documents (ins application, W4, etc) with the statement something like "My legal name currently is .... but I will be soon changing it to ... and would like to be known as ..." I shouldn't think that would be an issue or something that would require further explanation.

The dress code may vary from place to place. Hospital pharmacies may be a bit more stringent with their dress code. I've been in far too many other pharmacies and I don't recall any of the pharmacy techs wearing anything other than nice street clothes under white smocks.

Best of luck to you Ze.. :hugs:

Ze
06-21-2010, 12:51 PM
Thanks, Pamela, that's a good idea! Is there actually an area in which I could write something like that on a form, or should I attach a small extra note to it? It's been a while since I've had to apply for a new job. :o

pamela_a
06-21-2010, 12:59 PM
Like you, it's been a while since I've applied for a job. I wouldn't think there would be anything on the application for a "preferred" name but there might be. If there isn't I'm not sure I would put anything extra with the application, I can imagine it would only get separated and lost anyway. IMHO I would tell them face to face during the interview. That way you might be able to better judge the reaction and perhaps stem any negative reactions.

Nicole Erin
06-21-2010, 01:01 PM
This is a very good thread.

I don't know what all is going on, but my biggest concern is and would be how employers would even react to a TS person. Milo, I have no doubt that you have it together, I imagine you have qualifications to work in that field since you are applying.

This is a tough one. With all the stupid judgement us TS folks face on a regular basis, I just wonder if employers would react certain ways. With a tight job market, they might be looking for any little thing that would distract from the work environmnet. They talk about non-discrimination, but let's face it, an employer is never going to admit they didn't hire due to prejudice.

I am guessing that your female name is in no way masculine, much like my name name is no way feminine. We have all seen people get hired who are trans and don't pass and/or are not stealth, I always wonder how they do it.
Milo, you look to pass well enough, I am not saying you do not,
My main thing is wondering how some TS get around the fact that they ARE TS. I have seen and heard of TS successfully getting jobs in everything from the pizza joint all the way to high-end corporate jobs and even politics.

How do they do it?

Ze
06-21-2010, 01:12 PM
Exactly, Nicole. How do they do it? Inquiring minds want to know the details. :)

It's actually really sad that we can struggle so much with even line one of a form: name. :straightface:

Midnight Skye
06-21-2010, 01:31 PM
So I know how'd you do it if you applied for a job where I'm at. You would need to fill out the application as your documented name (not Milo). Sex is the fuzziest part... where I would put another [Box] and put transgendered. Or you could elect to check the sex you most closely align. Once you have the interview you then tell them your preferred name... and if gender comes up as a question you answer honestly that you're transgendered. Its likely that they'll be curious, but what's most important is that they understand how you plan to present yourself, as Milo dressed in typical male attire. So show up at the interview as you plan to dress at work.

Don't get too hung up on the name thing. Tons of people in my workplace go by different names than what their legal documentation states. This is because many folks where I work were not born in the US. And many have inherited names which us lazy-tongued folk can pronounce. So while your reasoning is quite different, don't fret about it at all!

CharleneT
06-21-2010, 02:42 PM
:yt:

Depending on the state laws where you live, they will not be able to ask you about your trans status. The application is most likely going to have to have your legal name, as that is where they will work from for making up the paperwork if you are hired.

Lorileah
06-21-2010, 03:06 PM
I don't know that "sex" or "age" is legally allowed on job apps. That doesn't mean they won't consider it when you interview.

Milo, when it comes to the interview, yes you will have to use your legal name on the application, but just smile, reach out your hand to the interviewer and say, "Hi, please call me Milo. Glad to meet you."

Oh, and this will be a moot point when ENDA passes (hopefully before pigs fly)

Ze
06-22-2010, 09:34 AM
So if I wait until I already have the job before I come out, am I now allowed to pack during the interview?

Jessinthesprings
06-22-2010, 10:08 AM
Ok... so this is a little bit of a biased outlook but I've been in the interviewer position with a trans applicant. It's been my observation that FTM's tend to pass much better than MTFs. I suppose there is a lot greater variation in size and masculanity in the male population. Just keep that in mind as you probably would be able to pass better than you think.

Now for the nitty gritty. First and foremost don't lie. For example don't put down John Smith when your leagal name is Jane Smith. That alone will give an employeer a reason not to hire and or terminate you later.

Now about the status. This one is a bit tricky. Assuming you would otherwise pass your legal documents will give you away. If I was in your situation I would approach it this way. Go by your legal name (the interviewer will most likely assume lesbian) and work the job under a neutral version of your legal name (if possible) such as Sam or even an initial such as "J". In other words go to work as you under your legal name and let people draw their own conclusions. You may have to endure the wrong pronouns but at least you have a paycheck.

It is sad but we are not even second class citizens in the job world... we are thrid class in the eyes of many. Employers will not even give interviews because "Oh that will just cause problems" as one of my supervisors once stated. Of course I got the last laugh when I hired Dru anyway thinking he was an entirely different applicant and never suspected that he was trans until he gave me his documents.

Now once your documents are finalized you have two options. Go someplace else (using new legal name) and again allow others to draw their own conclusions, and just be yourself. Or transition at the old job. Both have their ups and downs but I think the first with a clean start would be my plan of attack.

BTW there was payrole issues when Dru got his name legally changed, and several of his checks still came in as the old name... Which made it hard for him to cash since he did not look like a Sarah (Anymore) and neither did he have to documentation to accompany it. While I'm sure some places are better than others that is an issue that can arise.

Jessinthesprings
06-22-2010, 10:27 AM
Many states have an "at will" employment clause. Meaning an employer can terminate you for any reason and you can leave at any time for any reason. Soo... if it's illeagal to terminate based on LGBT an employer can come up with another reason or have none at all. It will be up to you to prove you were fired for being trans.

Best advise I can give you is be the best worker you can be and make yourself invaluable to the company. Even then you will have to tread carefully and respect the fears and biases of those who hold your fate in their hands. Sucks I know.

Ze
06-22-2010, 12:58 PM
I seriously appreciate your reply, Jess, but I also hate it because of how true it is. I feel quite stuck. :sad: I'm qualified and have the experience and certification for a decent-paying job, yet I feel like I'll never be able to get my hands on it. The only reason I got it last time is because I was presenting as female; and I just can't do that anymore.

But for some random good news, I was just called back today for an interview through the school. The school already knows I'm trans. If I can get this job, it would be quite helpful. But I'll still have to find at least one more because this is only part-time. And I have no clue what the work entails. They conveniently neglect to tell you that important bit.

But here's hoping, eh? It'd still be something, if I can get it.