PDA

View Full Version : Are you really?

Kate Simmons
06-26-2010, 09:28 AM
Are some of us really as accepting of diversity as we claim to be? I've noticed both here and chatting with some folks privately that they may have a problem accepting some certain life styles. Many just want to be accepted for their CD or TG status and let it go at that but are unwilling to be tolerant of such things as B & D, S & M, "Little Girls", Furries or what not. It's like: "Okay, whatever but not in my back yard". It may not be our personal "cup of tea" but as long as no laws are broken or no one is hurt, I don't see a problem with acceptance or tolerance.

My point is in any of these varied and sundry lifestyles, I look at others for who they are as people and not that they are "this, that or the other thing", otherwise it amounts to the "pot" calling the "kettle" black. We may well interact with all of these types on a daily basis whether we realize it or not, they could be anyone really just as we are. It takes all kinds to make a world and as soon as we get that, we will make some progress. As CDers we should be the last ones to point the finger at anyone else. What do you all think?:)

ColleenW
06-26-2010, 09:39 AM
I couldn't agree more with you Denise. As long as we're talking about consenting adults what difference does it really make?

PS: See you in Never Never Land:)

Michaela42
06-26-2010, 09:58 AM
Well, I try to be. Am I always successful; oh hells no, but I try.

Things of a sexual nature are fine with me (as I have some rather odd fetishes myself) and as long as no children or small animals are hurt. I do have a bit of a problem with public displays of affection, regardless of genders. A kiss or holding hands, no problem. Hands in each others pants pockets, mmm, kinda pushing it. All out grope sessions in public, yeach. Get a room!

docrobbysherry
06-26-2010, 10:01 AM
Is that u wrote this thread with the SOLE intention of getting me all worked up!?:Angry3:

Well, I'm NOT biting!

Today, I feel like fetish dressers r COMPLETELY ACCEPTED HERE!:D

Loni
06-26-2010, 10:06 AM
what goes on behind closed doors stays there.
and as long as no children or animals are involved and no body is hurt. all is ok. just maybe i do not want to hear about it. even your straight sex things, or toys.

i am not very interested in what you and yours does, it is your thing...not mine.
i guess i am boring in this area, i like one (GM) and one (GG).

kellgrl66
06-26-2010, 10:11 AM
Well said Denise and agree whole heartedly. I have noticed at events some girls that have had srs or hrt look down at those occasional cders like they are just amatuers in a game.

Billijo49504
06-26-2010, 10:16 AM
Well I agree about as long as there are no children involved. But I used to do security for a camp ground, and we had several gay couples there. They wanted to know what my feeling were. I told them I had no problem with their life style, but it's not for me. And I just had a great time at the West Michigan Pride celebration....BJ

donninacd
06-26-2010, 10:16 AM
Well said Denise and agree whole heartedly. I have noticed at events some girls that have had srs or hrt look down at those occasional cders like they are just amatuers in a game.

I've only been on here for a month. What do "srs" and "hrt" mean? I've figured out some of the other things on my own; for instance, GG seems to mean "genetic girl"?

As for the thread, yes it definitely seems like there is a divide even right here amongst this community. Go figure ;)

Thanks....D

Charleen
06-26-2010, 10:19 AM
To each his/her own. Live and let live. Do what you will with harm toward none.
Just don't shove it in my face!

Céleste_B
06-26-2010, 10:21 AM
I've only been on here for a month. What do "srs" and "hrt" mean? I've figured out some of the other things on my own; for instance, GG seems to mean "genetic girl"?

As for the thread, yes it definitely seems like there is a divide even right here amongst this community. Go figure ;)

Thanks....D

SRS means Sex Reassignment Surgery
HRT is for Hormone Replacement Therapy

TxKimberly
06-26-2010, 10:24 AM
I am a firm believer in a few concepts like:
"Those who live in glass houses shouldn't be throwing stones"
"Treat others as I would want to be treated"
"Live and let live"

If I expect and want to be treated well despite what I am, then I need to take that attitude with others. As you said, as long as it hurts no one, what is the problem?
I've never messed with BDSM but wouldn't bother fibbing to you and saying that I had absolutely no interest in it. I find strong and confident women immensely fascinating and interesting. :D

Jenna Lynne
06-26-2010, 10:24 AM
SRS is sexual reassignment surgery. HRT is hormone replacement therapy. If you've had or are planning SRS, you'll almost certainly be doing HRT. But the opposite is not guaranteed, as there are women who prefer not to have surgery who nevertheless use prescribed hormones.

Feel free to ask any and all questions! There are no dumb questions, only people who are feeling so intimidated that they're afraid to ask.

*** Jenna ***

(Blogging about gender at jennawillow.wordpress.com)

Lorileah
06-26-2010, 10:28 AM

HRT= Hormone replacement therapy

SRS (or GRS) = are both reassignment surgeries, more specific and PC than "sex Change"

We all have our own perspectives on things. I think tolerance for the most part here is not an issue, acceptance less but still well above the average. I am in the same boat as Makialia with there is a time and place for a lot of things. And yes I have moments when I see something and go WTH? They really don't do that do they?

One thing I see most agree on is children and small animals. One question though when do animals quit being small and are considered fair game? (There will never be another ewe)

Jenna Lynne
06-26-2010, 10:29 AM
To each his/her own. Live and let live. Do what you will with harm toward none.
Just don't shove it in my face!
I pretty much agree ... but cautiously. As Lady Astor is supposed to have said, "I don't mind what people do, as long as they don't do it in the street and frighten the horses!" (In those days, runaway horses were a serious hazard on the streets.)

However: We need to recognize that for people of a certain cast of mind (often religiously inspired, I'm sad to say), simply going out in public cross-dressed is very much "shoving it in their face"! They want us to be invisible. And that's a horrible violation of our right to simply be ourselves.

So I think if we're uncomfortable with something that someone else is doing ... in a restaurant, maybe, or at a club ... the place to start is not by blaming them but by questioning ourselves. What is the root of our discomfort?

*** Jenna ***

Céleste_B
06-26-2010, 10:30 AM
Things of a sexual nature are fine with me (as I have some rather odd fetishes myself) and as long as no children or small animals are hurt. I do have a bit of a problem with public displays of affection, regardless of genders. A kiss or holding hands, no problem. Hands in each others pants pockets, mmm, kinda pushing it. All out grope sessions in public, yeach. Get a room!

Aside from adding that as long as no children or animals are involved & not simply hurt, I feel the same way as you Makaila.

Kind of weird that I can cringe when seeing all grope out sessions in public, but I have no problem watching romance movies with the same hot groping sessions in them. Maybe that's because I imagine myself as being part of the movie...(at least the female part of it:heehee:)

Kate Simmons
06-26-2010, 10:36 AM
Your comments are appreciated my friends. I will say though that none of the folks who responded are who I had in mind when posting this. Let's see how it goes.:)

Rianna Humble
06-26-2010, 10:44 AM
Are some of us really as accepting of diversity as we claim to be?

In my old life, I set the standard for diversity no the local council where I served. I was also indirectly responsible for he first lesbian councillor to serve in that town, and set up separate forums for L, G, B & T employees (since they did not want a single LGBT forum).

As far as lifestyle choices such as BDSM, provided that it is between two consenting individuals who have reached the age of consent, I have already proved in my old life that I have no problem with the practice but it is true that I would not want to witness it personally.

I was also proud to be responsible for HR on the Council when we introduced Civil Partnerships and the first couple were two men who reported to me.

I would hope that I have not let any of that tolerance slide since I accepted that I am TG.

Kate Simmons
06-26-2010, 10:49 AM
Is u wrote this thread with the SOLE intention of getting me all worked up!?:Angry3:

Well, I'm NOT biting!

Today, I feel like fetish dressers r COMPLETELY ACCEPTED HERE!:DNot really RS. You know we love you here.:hugs:

Karinsamatha
06-26-2010, 10:57 AM
How could I have issues with what other people do behind closed doors? I very much agree with what was stated in other posts children and animals should be off limits.
Judge not lest you be judged.

Joanne f
06-26-2010, 11:06 AM
I am all for diversity , i love to see what other people get up to and some of it looks like fun as i always say "don`t knock it until you have tried it (providing it is legal of course) ,i have no problem with people that might be a bit different than me or should i say that are willing to try something different than me .:daydreaming: maybe i will try something :D

kellycan27
06-26-2010, 11:25 AM
I am too wrapped up in my own little world to care about what others do. Live and let live.

mklinden2010
06-26-2010, 11:52 AM
I think "diversity" is just poppycock thrown about to smear the good and decorate the bad. If everything is equal, then nothing is better or worse. BS. Dangerous BS.

CDers don't have the be the last ones to point fingers. From what I can tell some CDers are pretty smart and some CDers are pretty dumb. At any rate, why the hell should I get in line last - to express an opinion? Freedom to speak is freedom to speak for everyone.

I do care that people conduct their private lives, personal lives, with some intelligence and decorum. I don't want my face rubbed in your wealth, or, your poverty. Deal with your business in life and leave me to deal with mine.

"It ain't what you do, it's the way what you do it."

Kate Simmons
06-26-2010, 01:00 PM
Sometimes I just wonder why some people bother joining a social site to begin with, if they don't want to discuss things.

Joanne f
06-26-2010, 01:12 PM
Sometimes I just wonder why some people bother joining a social site to begin with, if they don't want to discuss things.

Diversity, Denise, it makes some people happy to complain about it and that is what i like about it :heehee:

AKAMichelle
06-26-2010, 01:15 PM
I think we all claim to be accepting but then when faced with a particular situation find it difficult to accept at first. Notice the word at first, because eventually we do come to accept it. However there are some things and situations which I can't accept and never will. So if that makes me a hypocrit then so be it.

geri-tg.
06-26-2010, 01:28 PM
You always seem to make us think when you post. I agree we should be more open to all people no matter who or what they are. That said I must start with my self.

Billijo49504
06-26-2010, 01:36 PM
I know I wouldn't be welcome at any of the cahtolic churchs here. But a WM Pride, last weekend, I couldn't believe how many churchs were actually inviting me to come and check them out. So I guess there really re some religious people that live their religion...BJ:drink:

mykhelee
06-26-2010, 02:16 PM
How accepting you are concerning an issue has a lot to do with your experiences up to the point of question. I have always kept dressing closeted but to all but a very few, but many know that I am bi.
I lost more friends that I have come out to over dressing than my sexual proclivities. Kind of weird...
As long as no harm is done...
Peace

julie w
06-26-2010, 03:29 PM
It seems when I go to CD events ,when we are out in the public eye most
try to look nice and femme and respectable whether they pass or not and then we always
seem to have someone in fetish wear tagging along that makes the whole group get stared and
laughed at ,I don't have a problem with fetish or anything else just don't
walk with me when I am trying to present as regular women it is crossdressers
group not fetish group

docrobbysherry
06-26-2010, 04:40 PM
Now, you've got Julie working for u!? ANYTHING to push my buttons, is THAT IT?:brolleyes:

Well, FORGET ABOUT IT! I DON'T feel like playing!:eek:
I LIKE EVERYONE TODAY!:love:

( Even those that wish I would "disappear"!):)

It seems when I go to CD events ,when we are out in the public eye most
try to look nice and femme and respectable whether they pass or not and then we always
seem to have someone in fetish wear tagging along that makes the whole group get stared and
laughed at ,I don't have a problem with fetish or anything else just don't
walk with me when I am trying to present as regular women it is crossdressers
group not fetish group

kellycan27
06-26-2010, 04:52 PM
Now, you've got Julie working for u!? ANYTHING to push my buttons, is THAT IT?:brolleyes:

Well, FORGET ABOUT IT! I DON'T feel like playing!:eek:
I LIKE EVERYONE TODAY!:love:

( Even those that wish I would "disappear"!):)

No worries Sherry, You can walk beside me any day!:hugs:

Kel

pamela_a
06-26-2010, 05:51 PM
This is a very interesting question and one that can be taken in many directions. Everyone hears about "tolerance" but do we really understand what the word means and how it is used? Probably the more appropriate definition of tolerance for this discussion is: a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward those whose opinions, practices, race, religion, nationality, etc., differ from one's own; freedom from bigotry. That sounds good and seems simple enough, at least until you try to apply it to something you really care about or that directly affects you.
I personally try to be tolerant of other peoples views and actions, but there are times when, even though I am tolerant of what they are doing, I believe it to be inappropriate at that time or location. As the example of being out and not wanting to be associated with someone in fetish wear, am I being intolerant then? I support them in going out dressed as they wish but I don't want to be associated with them because of the perceived or actual reflection on me. Am I wrong for that? I support your "rights" but what everyone seems to forget that your "rights" end when they affect mine.
Tolerance, by definition, also involves accepting that people will have differing opinions and attitudes about things. I've read so many posts decrying one group or another for their "intolerance" of GLBT issues yet isn't that act, by definition, intolerance? Or is tolerance only extended to those with whom we agree?
This whole culture has seemed to have forgotten that it's perfectly acceptable to discuss a problem or issue with someone and, in the end, agree to disagree. Lately, IME these exchanges have resulted in some of the most vitriolic accusations and name calling I've ever heard, all in the name of "tolerance and diversity".
It doesn't make any sense to me.

juno
06-26-2010, 06:20 PM
I am not very accepting of BDSM, or any other form of self-harm. If you like hurting yourself, you might be able to use some counselling. But, some degree of self-harm is OK, and doesn't mean you have a problem. (Just look at contact sports.)

There is also the question of tolerance versus acceptance. A lot of people are tolerant of differences, but not really accepting; you can do your own thing, but just not in public. You can also be accepting of someone, but still think they are weird or abnormal.

My opinion is that almost everyone is weird in some way, but most people try to hide their differences to fit in. So, weird people are normal. Even if I think someone is really bizarre, I can respect them for the confidence to express themselves.

Anneliese
06-26-2010, 06:38 PM
I am accepting of anyone and any situation, quirk, etc. To each their own.

dennisGTS
06-26-2010, 09:44 PM
Fetishes? To each their own. Yea, there may be some fetishes that I find too extreme for my taste but in the end, I could care less what other people do behind closed doors, just don't involve kids, hurt animals, or rub it in my face.

As for acceptance? I am an extremely open minded person. I don't care how someone dresses, if they're gay, black, white, Hispanic, Jewish, etc. But when a persons/groups beliefs causes negativity and violence that's when I have a problem. For example extreme religious beliefs that end up killing thousands or extreme Neo-Nazi/KKK groups that promote extreme prejudice and violence towards others are people and/or groups that I will never accept.

Joanne f
06-27-2010, 11:46 AM
OK i just realised that my tolerance and acceptance of others has its limit as i hate my neighbors with a passion , they are loud and obnoctious among other things , but i assume Denise means this towards type`s of dressing so i am going to let myself off :devil:

AmandaM
06-28-2010, 12:46 AM
I think I am very tolerant of what you do in your bedroom. I believe gays or fetish people, etc. have a right to do what they do. I don't agree with certain political agendas, but don't hate gays for trying. I have been hated for not believing in gay marriage. Absolutely attacked and hated, even on this board. Because of this, I consider myself to be more more liberal than liberals as I can accept them without hate, while they cannot accept me without hate. Therefore, my tolerance and acceptance of diversity is superior to theirs.

erickka
06-28-2010, 06:02 AM
You hit the nail squarely on the head, Denise. I see people for what they are... just people. I have friends of all colors, nationalities AND sexual orientation, and we all see each other as an individuals. If everyone would, as you said, stop the finger pointing, and grasp the big picture, this world would run a whole lot smoother!

~Michelle~
06-29-2010, 01:07 AM
Are some of us really as accepting of diversity as we claim to be? I've noticed both here and chatting with some folks privately that they may have a problem accepting some certain life styles. Many just want to be accepted for their CD or TG status and let it go at that but are unwilling to be tolerant of such things as B & D, S & M, "Little Girls", Furries or what not. It's like: "Okay, whatever but not in my back yard".

I have yet to meet a person that accepts any diversity...and not just related to all the things you mention here. Those people don't exist if you ask me.

donninacd
06-29-2010, 02:03 AM
I don't have a problem with fetish or anything else
I'm amazed at how many message boards people so obliviously post things so blatantly ironic. You really have yourself completely fooled if you really think you don't have a problem with "fetish or anything else" considering how you just put it out there so blatantly. WTF is this junior high school, here I am in my "serious CD'er" clique, stay away from me you freaky fetish dresser. I've said this before: if you think we make you look particularly bad, you can always choose to stop dressing and going out.

Cithmore
06-29-2010, 02:41 AM
OK I admit it when I was a kid we put a pink scarf and sunglasses on the dog but I still think she enjoyed it. :heehee:

Nicole Erin
06-29-2010, 03:57 AM
I don't know, it gets pretty extreme. Think of all the tranny'ing that goes on on the closet. And all those CD's who listen to "Man, I feel like a woman". Did they PAY for that song or did they just DL it for free?

Consider this -
Some genetic males actually go so far as to LIVE as women. :eek:
They take hormones, develop a femme voice, dress as such, and sometimes even get surgeries! I am SO shocked!
Now where did I put that pack of estrogen?

But wait,! It gets crazier! Some people who used to scorn Micheal Jackson now seem to think he is this hero! I think it is sick that they melted down the plastic pieces to make a box to store the ashes of what little was left of his carbon-based body parts!

What next? Having a holiday to recognise rap artists who survived past the age of 25?

Or what about our favorite youtube CD here who actually ENJOYS "Howard the duck"? That is an extreme lifestyle there. I can't really say that though cause one of my fav movies is some French movie, and we all know just how bad French cinema is.

Well shoot, I need to hit the sack, there is no way I can look pretty if I am tired, even with my best makeup and bra.

sometimes_miss
06-29-2010, 01:39 PM
I think you're preaching to the choir here.

Rianna Humble
06-29-2010, 02:31 PM
I have yet to meet a person that accepts any diversity...and not just related to all the things you mention here. Those people don't exist if you ask me.

To the best of my knowledge, I do exist.

Under my now-defunct name, I have a track record to prove that I not only accepted but promoted diversity.

msginaadoll
06-29-2010, 04:59 PM
Im all for diversity! That is as long as you believe like I do. Just kidding. Just being a cd and out in the public has opened my eyes. Im grateful for the gay/lesbians who have made me welcome at clubs. Im grateful for meeting the variety of transgender folks out there-some who fly there freak flag a little higher than mine:)

Kaz
06-29-2010, 05:21 PM
Diversity is a big word and is used by many to convey small thinking... If we are going to accept diversity of thought and opinion, then we have to accept things we don't want to hear. I don't have a problem with that.. as Kelly said... I am too wrapped in my own world... now when they impact negatively on my world... then we need to talk!

kellycan27
06-29-2010, 05:49 PM
One question though when do animals quit being small and are considered fair game? (There will never be another ewe)

I would think nothing less than a rhinoceros. Even up the odds a bit:heehee:

bredalee25
06-29-2010, 05:53 PM
Well Denise,

I for one can't see a problem with anyone praticing there own little thing in there own way. My problem is when these people try to force there thing on me IE: religion if one is religous fine by me just don't expect me to change my ways just because a religous person is around. I respect there right to be religous they should respect my right to not be religous.

As for everything else to each thier own.

Tess
06-29-2010, 08:22 PM
I'm accepting of diversity as it relates to race, gender, nationality, sexuality, but less so when it comes to behavior. Bad behavior should not be given a pass under the banner of diversity. Blindly accepting any behavior under is to ignore your personal believe system and good sense.