PDA

View Full Version : Excuse me! Excuse me!

sandra-leigh
07-01-2010, 10:04 AM
Yesterday I slipped away from my hosts and went around town in a blue women's top, size 4 forms (about a medium C on me), jean-leggings and a 21" denim skirt (half way down to the knee). I had my usual long hair, big pearl earrings, and no make-up at all (not even lipstick.)

No problems at all on the city bus or at the bus stops at any point -- though I might have had a couple of young girls stare at me, the first in 5+ years (could have been coincidence, as there were other things in the same direction.)

No problems at all in the clothing store I spent a few hours in -- e.g., they asked "What size do you take" rather than assuming I was shopping for someone else, ran around the store looking for things for me, "Would you like me to start a change room for those"; one of the women asked me politely whether I wore skirts to work. The other customers in the change room at the time had no problem with me either; we casually talked about what looked good and about financial prioritization; I came out of the change room wearing a definitely feminine summer dress and asked what they thought, and both of them said it looked cute.

After I was done with the clothing store, and had dodged the crowds waiting to see the Queen, I went to a club, and since it had been a while since my last pit stop, the first thing I did was go in to the mens room since it was on the way in. As I was only half-presenting as female and did not know the local laws, I figured it was a lot safer to use the mens.

There was a fellow standing around in the hallway not too far from the entrance to the mens washroom; I couldn't tell if he worked there or not. When I went in, he quickly followed me in, saying "Excuse me!!" as he moved, and as I swivled around casually to face him, he repeated, "Excuse me!!" and followed with "This is the men's washroom!"; I lazily replied, "Yes?"; he said, less firmly, "This is the men's washroom, and you have..." and looked directly at my (clear) bust-line and my skirt; I again lazily replied, "Yes?" He made an indisctinct sound, sort of a cross between an "Urrr" and an growl and slunk off without a further word. :devil:

Did my ego good, though, that even looking directly at me in the brighter lights of the washroom, he thought I was female (or at least more likely female than male.) And maybe this means that I did "pass" to some portion of the public.

Once I was inside the club proper, the other customers and staff either paid no attention to me or directly told me they approved of my appearance. :)

Jenna Lynne
07-01-2010, 10:37 AM
A lovely story -- thanks for sharing! I would make only one brief comment:

If the salesgirls tell you an outfit is cute, that doesn't mean they actually think it is. Their job is selling, not giving reliable fashion advice. (If you become a steady customer, the picture changes, I'm sure.)

I've noticed, over the years, that whenever I shop for (men's) shoes, the sales guy will almost always say, "I have a pair just like those at home." I was thinking of this last week: I was wandering around in the women's shoe department (in drab) and overheard a sales clerk say to a woman customer, "I have two pairs at home just like them."

I thought to myself, "Suuuuure you do."

*** Jenna ***

sandra-leigh
07-01-2010, 11:11 AM
If the salesgirls tell you an outfit is cute, that doesn't mean they actually think it is. Their job is selling, not giving reliable fashion advice.

Good point -- but it was two customers that said the dress was cute, not sales clerks.

I've noticed a fair number of times sales clerks saying "Oh those are my favorites" or the like; I take it more sincerely when they say it after the purchase has been completed!

Maryesther M.
07-01-2010, 12:42 PM
Lovely story. Congratulations. Perhaps you should have tried the ladies' in the club, too.

t-girlxsophie
07-01-2010, 06:20 PM
sorry to be negative but I think you can understand the guys confusion.I must confess ive never understood going out mixed mode,I really dont see the point And never have seen it in all my years of going out.but If your comfortable with presenting this way then good luck to you

Leslie Langford
07-01-2010, 10:44 PM
sandra-leigh,

Your aside about waiting to see the Queen probably flew under the radar screens of most of the readers of your post, and maybe they thought you were referring to some Freddie Mercury tribute band.

Perhaps you should have highlighted the fact that this was the real deal - as in THE Queen, Queen Elizabeth II, mother of Charles, Anne, Andrew, and Edward, and long-suffering wife of chronically foot-in-mouth plagued, politically incorrect, and "Sh*t My Dad Says" poster boy Prince Phillip of the Mountbattens (or is that the Mountbattys? :eek::doh::heehee:

She is currently on an extended visit to Canada (her 22nd since being crowned, actually), so either she really, really loves us Canucks, or else she feels compelled to keep a very close eye on us from time to time in case we step out of line.

And speaking of "cases", those cases of brewski 2-4's were just flying off the beer store and liquor board outlet shelves here yesterday in preparation for today's Canada Day celebrations and our other national pastime - chugging mass quantities of that golden elixir :doh:

BTW - did you actually get to see Her Majesty? Would she have approved of Sherlyn's special Canada Day dress, a picture of which she posted here the other day?

sandra-leigh
07-01-2010, 11:22 PM
I think you can understand the guys confusion.

Oh, certainly :) It just doesn't happen to me at all often: he was no more than 10 feet from me originally, and normally anyone within 75 feet glances at me and reads me as male in less than 3 seconds even when I am fully Dressed. Notice that I said that it did my ego good rather than my being upset with him: I get a fair number of people saying that I look good, but I seldom get people thinking that I am female.

I must confess ive never understood going out mixed mode,I really dont see the point And never have seen it in all my years of going out.but If your comfortable with presenting this way then good luck to you

If you are interested in the phenomena, you might wish to read some of my previous threads, or you might want to read some of the various postings in the Transsexual forum. A surprising number of the members (such as myself) find that they do not fit into the "either/or" gender binary, and instead find that they are some kind of mix.

For some of the members, especially the ones strongly inclined towards transition, this is a considerable source of angst: for example, a couple of the FTM find that they enjoy wearing dresses from time to time and are concerned because if they were to do so after transition then it might lead people to treat them as fundamentally "female".

It happens that for me, I am most comfortable (at least at this time) in living in-between. I do "what comes naturally", and "naturally" for me doesn't include studying fashion magazines or "how to walk like a woman" videos or "the needle arts" or the like -- but "naturally" for me does include wearing earrings and skirts and dresses and tights in public, and "naturally" for me includes breasts (or good facsimile thereof).

This sort of thing doesn't work for people who are concerned more about being perceived as literally being GG, but it is one variety of natural outcomes for people such as me who are concerned primarily with being themselves, who-ever and what-ever that turns out to be.

BTW - did you actually get to see Her Majesty?

A couple of the sales clerks at the store stepped out to try to see the Queen, but they didn't get any glimpse of her. I was a block away from the main Event of the day at the time, which was officially over by the time I left the store. I didn't feel that I'd missed anything.

Diane Elizabeth
07-02-2010, 12:05 AM
I had an incident at the VA a couple of months ago. Two gentlemen standing outside the bathroom talking as I came up to the door of one. He said "Ma'am, the other one is open and I could go right in" I was 70% in drab and he was referring to the other restroom that was unisex being available. Sure made my day as I said thank you in my best voice.

t-girlxsophie
07-02-2010, 02:10 AM
If you are interested in the phenomena, you might wish to read some of my previous threads, or you might want to read some of the various postings in the Transsexual forum. A surprising number of the members (such as myself) find that they do not fit into the "either/or" gender binary, and instead find that they are some kind of mix.

I am always open to be educated Sandra Leigh,perhaps i was guilty of seeing things in black and white,I will endeavour to find out more on the subject.Im Sorry If my post appeared Judgemental it was not my Intention to do so

:hugs:Sophie x

sandra-leigh
07-02-2010, 08:02 AM
Im Sorry If my post appeared Judgemental it was not my Intention to do so

Not to worry, you made it clear that it was a matter of what you thought on the issue based on your experience. Even some of the TS's haven't thought about the idea before, and some of them find that when they read more about it that it suits them better than a pure all-or-nothing gender transition.

To use a stereotype: you don't have to give up cars to be female. Indeed, yesterday a male and female couple stopped to help my mother and I with a car problem, and the woman obviously knew much more about cars than I ever will. (I am reminded of the movie "My Cousin Vinnie")