PDA

View Full Version : Sihfting the focus away from what MUST or SHOULD happen

GaleWarning
07-03-2010, 08:16 AM
Well, after a break of quite a number of years I am once again being encouraged to read academic papers in my field. Much has changed ...

A paper I am currently reading distiquishes between proscription and prescription.

The proscriptive attitude might be stated as "This is what is forbidden; everything else is allowed", which the author argues is a much more open stance than the prescriptive, "This is what is allowed; everything else is forbidden."

Proscriptions set the bounds of acceptable behaviour and offer the conditions to expand the sphere of what might become possible.

The focus moves away from what MUST or SHOULD happen towards what MIGHT or COULD happen.

The notion I found intriquing!

Could it be used to enable the great number of people on this site who are having problems with their SOs to better manage their relationships?

For example, it seems to me that those who negotiate acceptable boundaries to their crossdressing with their SOs (thou shalt not wear panties during the day; though shalt not wear a bra to bed at night; ...) appear to have a higher chance of saving their relationships than those who have the law laid down for them (you can only wear panties when I am not around; you can only wear male PJs to bed; ...).

What do you think?

Can you come up with five proscriptive statements about crossdressing together with their alternative prescriptive statements?

The exercise should enable all of us to feel more comfortable about our own level of crossdressing.