PDA

View Full Version : Gender issues therapist

alpha12
07-04-2010, 04:28 AM
Because I have recurrent bouts of severe depression, I should see a therapist regularly. Haven't been able to afford to for a long time, but my spouse recently got a new job that comes with excellent health coverage, and tonight I started looking for a therapist.

I have never seen a therapist who knows anything about gender issues. And because of insurance issues, I have seen quite a few different therapists down the years. I just found someone whose specialties include not only every other relevant specialty area, but also gender issues.

I am so excited and apprehensive! Because of the holiday weekend, I can't call for an appointment for several days to even find out if she is taking new clients.

So many reasons to be apprehensive! My spouse is a man, and that leads to some difficulties for me and us. I've gotten comfortable with kind of shoving my gender identity aside, finding satisfaction in the little things, and mentally telling myself to man up and be a woman, if that makes any sense. Exploring this deeply could really shake things up.

Gender issues isn't the primary reason for therapy, but I'm excited and apprehensive that it could be something to work on. I'd appreciate any experiences anyone can share. Mostly I'm just excited and worried and wanted to share that with you guys.

7sisters
07-04-2010, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the update Alpha12. There are many therapists. But finding the right one whose form of therapy you vibe with, takes time. Hopefully the aforementioned therapist will be the one for you. Also do your own reading online. Yes, there will be apprehensions. But nothing will happen that you cannot handle. You've come so far already. I think this is good news for you. All the best to you.

mistunderstood
07-04-2010, 01:13 PM
Dear Alpha,
I see a therapist right now and have seen her for a long time. She is not a gender therapist but bless her heart she try's. She is so willing to learn she is going to all kind of classes to learn more about GID and how to help me sort all of the hurdles i face in dealing with GID.
Good luck. I hope it works out for you.