PDA

View Full Version : CD Bridesmaid

Lynn Marie
07-08-2010, 07:26 PM
The other night I watched an old Frasier rerun around midnight. Here's Ros showing Frasier this hidious lime green bridesmaid dress she is going to have to wear at another friends wedding. The objective of horrible bridesmaids dresses is to make the bride look all that much better.

I think it was Ros who made a comment that if she got rid of the dress it would make some crossdresser very happy. So later in the show, sure enough, Ros is throwing all these horrible bridsmaid dresses in a box for Goodwill or the Salvation Army. The last scene of the show is a CD sashaying down the block in that hidious lime green dress. It looks no better on him than it did when Ros was complaining about it.

The point here is that the writers of that episode sort of hit the nail on the head about our perception of what is in good taste and appropriate for sashaying down the block. In our fearlessness and boldness to exert our right to dress, we way too often reinforce that nasty stereotype of the CD who dresses in a tasteless manner in public. I'd like to see that perception change. Even just a little bit would be nice. It would sure make it easier to come out to our SO's.

Tranny Tee
07-08-2010, 07:51 PM
I may have horrible taste but you will never see me in lime green.

Freddy12
07-08-2010, 08:17 PM
I think that perceptions change one person at a time, ans sitcoms rarely have an impact on how I view others. As we accept folks for who they really are, and model that behavior for others, perceptions will change. I wish cd'ers were portrayed more positively in sitcoms, but I don't think it has a big impact. Just my:2c:

Michaela42
07-08-2010, 09:26 PM
Perceptions are tricky and people who use them solely to base their reality on are even trickier. There will always be the over the top people (CD, GG, or even men), that does not mean that they have nothing of value to contribute.:2c:

AKAMichelle
07-08-2010, 10:34 PM
I remember that episode. It was very funny.

Kate Simmons
07-09-2010, 06:02 AM
This is pretty much why CD's are always the bridesmaid but never the bride.:battingeyelashes::)

victoriamwilliams1
07-09-2010, 06:22 AM
I think that perceptions are changing however at a slow rate. I have seen some positive cd/tg characters on television over the past few years. Time will tell.