PDA

View Full Version : A beautiful day at work

Teri Jean
07-14-2010, 08:39 PM
Normally when we bring the adventures of flying to distant locations or off on an extended vacation we like to share with others. This is great because for those who cannot make that journey as yet it does give one an experiance through others to dream about. So this adventure is not off to an unknown location or to another city across the country as this is across town.

A little back ground for those who do not know me as well as others. I have worked for 27 yrs at the university here in southern Minnesota.Here at Minnesota State University, Mankato i have worked for 19yrs in building repair of our physical plant department. In short if they break it we fix it and if something needs to be assembled or remodeled we are called. For the past 26yrs of my employment I have been the guy they called but last year it changed with my transition.

The adventure was to first to come out to family, friends, and co-workers (1200 +). So we fast forward through nine months and it was going well. Then with the season changes this spring I was getting the outdoor sports support structures ready for the spring practices I realized I have a bigger team to get ready for, the Minnesota Vikings training camp. I started to get worried as to how they would take the news. In a sense it was like starting over. Well during the Be-All conference this spring a speaker told us her story of transitioning on the job as a sports writer, so this lady was someone I needed to talk with. Christena gave me some of the best advice one could get. Go to work as yourself as they are big boys, they can deal. So that is what I did.

Today was day one of the next four weeks and the equipment manager, Denny, was so wonderful and polite. He and I have had a working friendship for 19 yrs now and it isn't going to change. So the day turned out to be a non-event event.:) I think we all have experiances of the first time out to the clubs or a drive/flight and yet we forget the day-to-day events. Today was my everyday out and about. I wish you all the best as you get out whether you are CDing or transitioning. Have fun and hugs. Teri

bethw
07-15-2010, 06:44 AM
Hi Teri;
I'm so happy that things are going well for you. You deserve a hug for bravery. It must have been a daunting task to face all of those people that you've known for so long. It sounds like you handled it with poise and grace and so did they.
Hugs again
Beth

joann07
07-15-2010, 07:40 AM
Hi Teri. Congrats. I'm so very happy for you.
I can't imagine what it's like to come out to so many, but I'm very glad things worked out.
Best wishes with your transition and all.
I look forward to seeing you again soon.

Hugs!

Teresa Ann
07-15-2010, 08:38 AM
Hi Teri When I grow up I want to be like you. You are a inspiration to us all, hearing you story made my day. I thank you Teri.

Miranda09
07-15-2010, 09:50 AM
That's awesome Teri. It's exciting to see how accepting everyone is and supportive. You've become an excellent role model for us all. :)

Nicole Brown
07-15-2010, 11:31 AM
Ah Teri, that is so wonderful to hear. You are an inspiration to me and I am sure so many other girls. I am on the same road as you are, just light years behind you. I always enjoy reading a story such as yours as it gives me renewed hope and faith for my future.

Continued success and happiness as you transverse the road ahead, and please be sure to stop by and give all of us here behind you more of your hope and success.

Starling
07-15-2010, 02:30 PM
What a lovely post, Teri.

:) Lallie

"Mary"
07-15-2010, 02:35 PM
It's great that your true friends remain friends.

Marcia Blue
07-15-2010, 10:13 PM
Teri, I am so glad that things are going well for you. You are very fortunate to have such great work colleges. Keep us up to date when you can.
Are going to make the CICD picnic? We have not seen you in ages.
Hugs,

Teri Jean
07-15-2010, 10:14 PM
Awwwww, thank you girls. I didn't really look for these responses but to let others know that the reasons to get out and be themselves is being healthy. Just thought my experiance may help others.

Teri