PDA

View Full Version : Facebook oops!!

Janetmichelle
07-15-2010, 06:08 PM
Okay, So a couple weeks ago one of my email accounts got closed for some reason that I am still unclear of but I had to provide a new email for facebook.

I entered one of my regular emails not even thinking about the fact that it is one of my emails that i use for day to day stuff. Well yesterday I gave my email to someone I am working with so that he could email me some photos.

Well I guess he has something setup in his email that automatically searches Facebook and my girl picture popped up on his screen. This morning he asked who is the girl on your profile pic.

I almost went into panic mode but i kept my cool and just said what girl. To which he replied there is this sexy looking girl that showed up on your profile. Which i have to tell you was very flattering. Not only that but he couldn't tell it was me so that was good.

I have since changed the email to one that I don't use much but that was a close one. I also gave him the email address for my male account so hopefully this is as far as that goes and it will just be put off as somebody had an old email that I ended up getting or something.

Anyways thanks for listening girls have a great day.

Janet

RachelHawke
07-15-2010, 06:25 PM
I got on facebook just for one socal group and was quite irritated by all the different people it very quickly pointed at-- which were people I didnt want around my profile. (I only have one email address)

I opted to just set everything as private as possible and not have anything on my profile itself-- only one person has thus found my facebook profile and its an online friend that I'm not concerned about-- although considering i don't talk to him much, I worry about people who do talk to me a lot finding the facebook page.

optyks
07-15-2010, 06:26 PM
If its a picture anything like your avatar here, then I can see how he'd think it's a cute girl! My god, you look stunning!

Janetmichelle
07-15-2010, 06:28 PM
Same picture actually and thank you sweetie

Lexine
07-15-2010, 07:22 PM
I have a profile for both my boy mode and my girl mode and they're listed as siblings. While I thought that it was a little dangerous as people can just skim my profile and look through the other associated profiles, at least I thought that I can pass it off that my girl mode is my boy mode's sister.

Sadly, it horribly backfired.

You can't imagine how many people I know now know because of that! But it remains as part of my FB profile, for better or for worse :)

kaleyg
07-15-2010, 09:38 PM
so i was putting (girl) photos on photobucket, and then i look down below the photo and there's my (guy) facebook profile automatically linked! i had logged into facebook at some point earlier and hadn't logged out. so photobucket was automatically trying to put my photos on my facebook page!!!!! i nearly had a heart attack. i quickly closed photobucket and got onto facebook to find out whether my life was basically over. whew!! nothing. so i logged out. it still freaks me out, but it won't show up on facebook unless you comment on your own photo in photobucket using the facebook ap just below the pic. can you imagine?

Mikaela
07-15-2010, 09:44 PM
Yeah, I'm not happy with the facebook integrations everywhere. I set it to auto log me out now so I don't get those sort of scares. I posted a link to a facebook privacy scanner in the other topic the erin posted.

Inna
07-15-2010, 10:18 PM
a lot of close calls! It seems that the only safe way to navigate life is to let the truth be known ( easy to say by the (guy)girl who kept the secret for 44 years :-)

Kathi Lake
07-15-2010, 10:21 PM
The same kind of thing happened a week or so ago. The movie Salt was coming out, and their Facebook page had kind of a contest where you post your best "disguise" before and after picture. I thought, "Cool! I can do that."

So, I posted it to their page and thought, "Hmmm, I wonder if, by chance, it made it to my main Facebook page?" I go there and sure enough, there is the picture for all my friends to see with a caption like "Doofus here (not my real name, by the way) thinks that he has the best disguise. What do all of his friends think?" The first thing I thought of was this (http://www.talkingwav.com/homer/homer_29.wav) quote.

So, I furiously deleted the picture and waited for my friends, wife (and probably my cat) to ask me, "So, you like disguises, eh?" :)

Nothing came of it. Here's the pic below.

Kathi

Cheryl James
07-15-2010, 10:21 PM
Was life easier when we just had two tin cans and a long string, or is it better this way?

Nicole Erin
07-15-2010, 10:49 PM
You could have told the guy "Oh, just some lady I like to have sex with a lot" and you would be telling the truth. I mean he doesn't need to know the intimate details.

AmiFL
07-15-2010, 10:54 PM
as was mentioned earlier.... great picture... how could you not be mistaken for a cute girl.....

Christina Horton
07-15-2010, 11:24 PM
That's why I am out to all save my boss. But I intend to change that soon. I have two face book pages. One as the name here and one as Mike. I don't care if anyone knows cuz Like I said I am out there. I have had some people not know the pic I show them in my phone is me . When I tell them they say"wow I would never know thats you wow". So you lucked out/Or you missed and opportunity. Either way it worked out. Just remember when you post pics (like here) it's out there and can never be taking back. Just FYI!!!

The same kind of thing happened a week or so ago. The movie Salt was coming out, and their Facebook page had kind of a contest where you post your best "disguise" before and after picture. I thought, "Cool! I can do that."

So, I posted it to their page and thought, "Hmmm, I wonder if, by chance, it made it to my main Facebook page?" I go there and sure enough, there is the picture for all my friends to see with a caption like "Doofus here (not my real name, by the way) thinks that he has the best disguise. What do all of his friends think?" The first thing I thought of was this (http://www.talkingwav.com/homer/homer_29.wav) quote.

So, I furiously deleted the picture and waited for my friends, wife (and probably my cat) to ask me, "So, you like disguises, eh?" :)

Kathi

Kathi all I can say is WOW. You look so different. Like we all do I suppose. I think I like your Fem-self much better. You drab pics looks fine , I just like Kathi soooo much better , she is much prettier then your drab side LOL.

RachelHawke
07-16-2010, 01:25 AM
As if to jinx myself-- sure enough my mother tried to friend request my facebook today. Again I have no photos on there and didn't list any hobbys or anything-- and this just reinforced my decision not to do so--

I'm pretty much ready to just delete the facebook thing-- its not worth it...

Mea GG
07-16-2010, 01:37 AM
I am friends on Facebook with 2 stepkids, 2 nieces and a nephew. One stepkid did not accept my request. I like being part of their lives, but comment sparingly, mainly to praise or make a joke. My nephew did not accept his Dad but he accepted me...lol, go figure.

But Facebook has got way out of control with wanting to link everything.
And I had the same freakout on Photobucket as Kathi when the link popped up as I was uploading a pic involving spanking. I will say that here but not on my Facebook page...that all my friends and relatives are on...
Well, not quite the same impact as a crossdresser being completely outed, but I don't like it.

Mea, not my real name but better than Doofus

Mikaela
07-16-2010, 02:10 AM
Mea, if you check out sites like lamebook and myparentsjoinedfacebook.com you'd understand a little bit more. It's not uncommon to not allow family on it, although it's fairly easy to put them in a group and restrict their access.

RachelHawke
07-16-2010, 02:32 AM
Ha. I saw that on Graham Norton the other night.

Ironically we're (brother & kin) are just getting out of a deal where my mother posted a totally humiliating thing on a photo he had on his facebook that started a whole children v mother argument about what is and is not appropriate to say on the internet...

Ms. Emily
07-16-2010, 03:05 AM
I thought they had to to actually go to Facebook and type your email address into the friend finder for that to come up. I wonder what hes using to do that.

I actually had a CD friend post a pic from her facebook onto an anonymous messageboard and people were able to track down the profile from just the file name of the pic.

Gerrijerry
07-16-2010, 03:39 AM
facebook is wide open if your picture is on it anyone can see it. So many programs from phones auto attach to facebook. Mine does so if you don't want others to see your feminine side even if you are totally passable and look like a different person on it. Don't put it up.

LisaKarenAZ
07-16-2010, 04:52 AM
I have a completely different email I use for Lisa's Facebook profile. I also make sure that I have auto-login turned off for FB and email.
I also clear my browsing history as I close my browser.

I am ultra paranoid about having anything pop up with my wife around.

Samantha B L
07-16-2010, 09:14 AM
I've been on facebook for over a year. I probably wouldn't be on there but this person who has been a dear freind since 1983 invited me to sign up. And I have about 20 cousins and best freinds who I save a lot on stamps and long distance phone calls by talking to them on facebook. I dont like the way a post or a photo goes on facebook and then shows up anywhere from a couple to 5 or 6 places you didn't even know about or ask for. I don't post any CD stuff on there but I do belong to some fashion-ish sort of pages. I am thinking about setting up a "second" facebook account for my crossdresser self. Yet all in all I don't like the lack of privacy and I wouldn't do facebook but for that close freind's invitation. Facebook is the coming thing more and more along with Twitter.

PretzelGirl
07-16-2010, 11:03 AM
I am only on Facebook in guy mode. I have tweaked the security settings and actually don't friend co-workers because I don't want to mix work and fun. But I treat it like it is completely unsecure because they always seem to manage to make it that way.

Chickhe
07-16-2010, 11:48 PM
I understsnd facebook, it is like having your own web page...but I don't get why people put so much information on there... It seems to me, I would rather tell my friends information and have the chance to explain it rather than have them read something and misunderstand.

Mikaela
07-17-2010, 12:46 AM
I actually had a CD friend post a pic from her facebook onto an anonymous messageboard and people were able to track down the profile from just the file name of the pic.

Image files are renamed on upload and I believe they are hashed with your with your account number in the filename.

carolinewalker_2000
07-17-2010, 02:31 AM
All of the above posts serve to convince me that my decision not to sign up for Facebook, or any of the other social networking sites, was the correct one. They are just too complex to use with any certainty that things you want to keep secure won't inadvertantly be widely distributed - and all without any active input from you!!

As far as I am concered, sites like this, where one interacts only with likeminded people, is as far as I want to go. (Anyway, you lot are such a great group of friends; who needs more?!!)

Midnight Skye
07-17-2010, 02:44 AM
Simply put... be careful where you post photos as they can travel... FAST. Facebook has sent my single male photo to all kinds of linked places. Actually it's rather disturbing how many different profile tools hook into Facebook and tug up my pictures and info. I'm not too thrilled about it myself. But eh... everyone will know my feminine side soon enough.

eluuzion
07-17-2010, 04:03 AM
Social networking sites are fun, but a privacy nightmare. Facebook is like playing with matches in a fireworks factory.

The internet is becoming more frightening everyday when it comes to protecting your personal data. It is a stalker's paradise too. When the sites began linking personal data from several sources in one place, even amateurs can find out everything about you.

I can not believe the personal stuff people post on those sites. If you mention personal names, schools, clubs, etc. all you have to do is read and you could be a somebody's front door the next day. Too scary for me...

FYI... the FBI monitors those sites closely. It is like a dream for them. They can sit at a coffee shop eating donuts now and catch losers they are looking for on those sites.

I know, I know..."if you aren't doing anything wrong..."
To that I guess I always wonder "why then, do you have curtains on your windows at home? lol:love:

fluffy
07-17-2010, 04:27 AM
LOL
I should have realized that I wasn't the only one with this problem.

First, I'd have had a heart attack if a blunder like that had happened to me. While insist that in my own home anyone should know about it and accept it, outside of that, I am extremely cautious and always have been.

I've never been caught either because of my rather rigorous way of concealing things. But modern facebook like things scare me a lot with regard to that. It is SOOOOOOO easy to make a mistake that could expose everything. I suspect that more and more of this is happening.

One good thing comes out if it though:
One of the biggest problems for us CDs is that it isn't widely accepted but that is surely also due to the fact that most of us keep it secret. Things like facebook will gradually reveal that there are more of us than anyone suspected and kind of 'force the issue'. Just a little thought.

The only solution:
Perhaps the best thing is to get a separate computer for all your 2nd person stuff. That way you can more easily separate things in your mind and won't likely log in with the wrong name. Because there is a physical separation of the two lives.

Crysten
07-17-2010, 04:42 AM
Simple facts to remember:

1. Any information you put on the internet is basically public domain.

2. Anything that's out there you can never, ever, get back.

Keeping those two facts in mind, I don't use ANY social networking sites (other than this one). But I'm old school I guess. If I didn't need it when I was 18, well, I don't need it now. Hell I don't even have a cell phone!! I know, shock and awe. lol.

Crysten
07-17-2010, 04:44 AM

Kathi

Hmmm....who's that fellow standing next to our beloved Kathi?? BEWARE Kathi -- he might be stalking you!! RUN!!!

CherryZips
07-17-2010, 05:53 AM
What you can do is run different browsers with different personas. Like having Firefox, Opera and Chrome all logged in as different profiles.

You can also run say a browser like Chrome with multiple different profiles. If you set up a desktop shortcut it will log you in as a different person. A different person with a different Facebook profile, email address etc.

I use Opera for all my cherryzips stuff. Just in case someone vanilla uses the machine and browses. I don't want to alarm them. All my browsers start off where I last was. It may take a bit of explaining if they do start Opera.

Fab Karen
07-17-2010, 06:07 AM
Simple facts to remember:

1. Any information you put on the internet is basically public domain.

Not exactly true- if you put it in a publicly open location, yes.

FB ( and other such sites ) allow you to make things private from the general public. The people who don't do so & put up such things as where they went to school, their current job, past jobs, etc. with their legal name, are opening the door to potential trouble.

AKAMichelle
07-17-2010, 08:50 AM
He was using Xobni. I use it too and I have considered closing my male profile and reopening a female one for a similar reason. I don't have much contact with people on facebook, but I would have a lot more contact as Michelle.

kimberly ann487
07-17-2010, 09:02 AM
Always remember, "what goes on the internet, stays on the internet" Facebook makes it quick and easy, lol.

Crysten
07-17-2010, 11:45 AM
Not exactly true- if you put it in a publicly open location, yes.

FB ( and other such sites ) allow you to make things private from the general public. The people who don't do so & put up such things as where they went to school, their current job, past jobs, etc. with their legal name, are opening the door to potential trouble.

It's a patent falsehood that ANYTHING outside secure classified government networks is private. Believe me, I've been in the position to know.

Mikaela
07-17-2010, 02:01 PM
What you can do is run different browsers with different personas. Like having Firefox, Opera and Chrome all logged in as different profiles.

I'd say this is more for your mental gymnastics benefit than anything. Ultimately, all your traffic flows through the same IP address. Although session data and cookies are separated, they could still do linking. However, this is a good way to keep stuff separate to keep yourself from a stupid mistake. Also consider privacy mode in the browsers or the portable version of a browser on a USB flash drive.

The issue with facebook is that there are plenty of people that set up their privacy and facebook has multiple times, changed their default settings exposing it. The more info shared, the more potential revenue they have.

It's a patent falsehood that ANYTHING outside secure classified government networks is private. Believe me, I've been in the position to know.

Crysten is right. I don't consider this site any more secure than facebook. Forums have vulnerabilities, too. There are ways to make it harder, but if it is connected to the web, it's potentially breachable.

But do you think your front door would stop a determined thief? There are ways to minimize risk and minimize targets and ultimately you just have to not give a crap about the rest. One of your biggest preventatives online is the sheer volume of things and most of it is noise. It's like seeing a zebra in a herd in a field. Sure the zebra stands out by itself against a flat background, but when they are all running and moving, the predators have a hard time telling one from another.

:2c:

fluffy
07-17-2010, 04:59 PM
There's another way if you're very paranoid:
Use a USB stick or a DVD/CD with a live operating system on it (like knoppix ). There are many of them freely downloadable.

The benefit: Nothing is changed or saved on your computer and when you shut down and pull out the USB stick, everything is back how it was before. That makes it perfect for use on someone else's computer too.

The downside: You can't store information or keep settings and bookmarks etc. But you can load them into memory and then email them to yourself (email accounts have loads of free space these days).

Mikaela
07-17-2010, 05:03 PM
If you use a service like foxmarks/xmarks, it will synch your bookmarks across browsers and devices, fluffy. You can even set up profiles so that your porn err.. knitting patterns ... don't synch to your work computer.

I think Mozilla and Google have their own implementations, too.

Kathi Lake
07-17-2010, 05:40 PM
Hmmm....who's that fellow standing next to Kathi?? BEWARE Kathi -- he might be stalking you!! RUN!!!Nah. I've met him. He's a wimp, and an insufferable dweeb. He's so clumsy, he has enough issues with walking - much less stalking.

:)

Kathi

fluffy
07-18-2010, 03:49 AM
Thanks Nutmeg,
That Xmark seems very good. Using that in combination with a live CD/USB stick is probably the safest solution for anyone who share's their computer with someone who doesn't know about that "other" wardrobe that we all have...

eluuzion
07-18-2010, 05:32 AM
“Oh, the gov. could never do that, it’s impossible anyway”

~Oh it is possible, it exists and they are using it now.~

And you thought Gates was on your side…:eek:
http://www.microsoft.com/industry/government/solutions/cofee/default.aspx

Bruce Schneier (privacy guru) essay on Facebook/Google
http://www.schneier.com/essay-311.html

Here is an extensive list of the digital forensic tools being used by the DOJ (Dept of Justice) to collect forensic evidence from computers (like yours and, well…not mine, lol) Each "tool" has a link to download the details and explanations of how it is used by Law Enforcement.

Pay particular attention to “EnCase 6.5” (their favorite tool). Logicube’s “Forensic Talon” & “OmniClone2xi”, and “BlackBag”.
http://nij.ncjrs.gov/publications/Pub_Search.asp?category=99&searchtype=basic&location=top&PSID=55

and you thought that NARUS sounded scary…

The “hackers” tools are even scarier than this.

Gee, I feel safer already...brolleyes:

Isn't the Internet "fun" ?
:love:

Fab Karen
07-18-2010, 05:32 AM
Private from the average person ( most people are concerned with their relatives, bosses, & so-called friends seeing things ), not computer hackers.

Crysten
07-18-2010, 06:08 AM
Nah. I've met him. He's a wimp, and an insufferable dweeb. He's so clumsy, he has enough issues with walking - much less stalking.

:)

Kathi

Lols Kathi you crack me up. :):):)

Crysten
07-18-2010, 06:44 AM
The only "real" security inherent in the internet is the fact that there's such a huge amount of information out there - most things get lost in the mix. This is a good thing. Did you know - GOOGLE has saved every single search query ever entered into it's web site? It takes very little work for even a semi-experienced software tech to trace that back to the computer it came from. And of course there's Facebook, who tried to obtain rights to ALL information entered onto it's site. I don't know if it's even possible to ever permanently delete anything you put out there - not a good situation.

I avoid most of the internet because it's full of viruses, totally not secure, and 95% of what's out there is trash anyway. Thank god Victoria's Secret has a good web site!! :)

V Carina
07-18-2010, 02:29 PM
You can always just close your facebook account:laughing:

Cassandra Lynn
07-18-2010, 06:37 PM
I lasted about 5 whole minutes on facebook before closing it all out. After a stay in rehab and beginning my life all over again, sober, i thought checking Facebook out to see what it's like would be fun.
The first 6 or 7 ppl who popped up on the screen were all former H.S. buddies and ppl i used to drink and do drugs with.
Just as well, i think, especially after reading this post. Although if i should ever decide to go full time or nearly so, i wouldn't mind an account with just Cassie's pic and profile and no reasonable way for anyone i know to figure it out. mj (Cassie)

kristinacd55
07-18-2010, 08:02 PM
Oops! Guess that's why I haven't connected my facebook "girl" account to anything as of yet :)