PDA

View Full Version : Problem Solving, the TG way (or life versus the slippery slope)

Sara Jessica
07-17-2010, 12:08 AM
So I'm thinking lately, about my place in this wonderful world with "issues" that most peeps out there can't even fathom. I think of my own evolution during what I call a personal renaissance period. Not that my so called TG life in my 20's was the dark ages. That's more like that period between 30 and 37 or so where I faded into the background...I guess that was my dark ages even though I didn't really realize it at the time.

So let's see, what problems have been addressed of late?

1. Shaved the legs. Yeah, that old matte Danskin with nylons du jour over them just gets really old after so many years. Started a winter season or two and then said screw it, smooth 24/7/365. To coin an apt phrase from a dear friend of mine, the world has failed to explode thus far. Problem solved.

2. Face fur. I remember the first time I plucked my entire face. I met up with my friend Christine and asked her "so what is the crazyest thing you've done in the name of your being TG." For the life of me I cannot remember what her reply was, probably because I was so self-absorbed in the ecstacy of having a face smoother than it has ever felt before. This has led to a decision to permanently eradicate every last fur, or at least a vast majority of them. Even it it takes years at the pace I'm going (which it shouldn't), the end result will be as priceless as I feel once I complete that tedious plucking process.

3. Arm fur. When my wise friend Kim told me "what are you worried about?" when I bared my arms for her the first time, I was freed of a lifetime of long sleeves. But taking some cues from these parts, I did the old 1/4" clipper thing (or was it 1/2"?) which was really mostly psychological. All I'd leave in the sink is a dusting of tiny pieces of fur. So imagine my surprise when I grabbed my clippers several months ago and was pondering trimming around my ears to make the wig thing easier to manage and decided to do the arms first WITHOUT PUTTING ON A GUIDE!!! Left arm done, OOPS! the clipper blade has about 1/8" of play without a guide. Hmmm, doesn't look sooooo bad, or noticable. Trimmed the other arm the same way to match, haven't looked back since.

4. Eyebrows. I've created a shape which makes me think "just arch the hell out of 'em, you've gone this far". Perhaps someday.

5. Here's the kicker, the natural hair. Last summer my friend Kim presented during an outing with her natural hair. I scoffed. Not at how she looked. I told her she was prettier with long hair (wig) but more passable with her own hair. No, I scoffed because I thought I could NEVER go there myself. Fast forward to the present, at least six months since my last haircut, maybe more and I'm loving my hair, even in guy mode. To feel the long whisps at my temples, the fullness in the back as it grows out. I shake my head and feel volume moving about. So even my own pathetic experiments in styling (think 12 year old with a curling iron...ouch!) turns out something servicable that leaves the wig in it's bag.

I can put my hand up and curl my hair around my fingers at pretty much any spot on my head. It feels feminine, it feels right. Such is my own slippery slope. I never fathomed being here and I don't want to step backwards. One one hand, I have my head around being on the middle path, yet I cannot help but feeling like I'm destined for transition and these steps I'm taking are for that purpose rather than making my TG existence as it is now more fulfilling.

I guess only time will tell.

post-script - I just noticed, it's all about managing the fur!!!

harmony
07-17-2010, 12:38 AM
very eloquently put and fun to read-thank you!

Kathi Lake
07-17-2010, 01:14 AM
Well, I have done many of the same things; Arm fur? Gone. Eyebrows? While not heavily arched, they are unquestioningly feminine. Legs? I'm at the "Winter only . . . Well, maybe Fall. Oh! Spring, too!" stage. My nails right now are at the stage where I can barely type. Since I'm in the Reserves, I can't exactly grow my hair out, so you got me there.

So, I seem to do many of the same things, and yet I don't necessarily feel that my transition is inevitable - that it is my destiny, somehow. Sure, that may have something to do with me petulantly stomping my foot and declaring it'll never happen, while slowly moving down a slip 'n slide watered from a certain river in Egypt and chanting, "Middle path! Middle path!"

:)

Kathi

NathalieX66
07-17-2010, 10:00 AM
Excellent post.:thumbsup:

Ditto for me on most of these situations. Ah, that dreaded middle path...maybe it's not so bad. Somehow I feel that there is compromise somewhere along the TG spectrum, and the satisfaction comes at a price.

As far as I know at this stage in my life, I have noi desire to transition BUT I would rather be a better & more believable looking crossdresser and be happy with that. So far, I'm satisfied with going out in public, and socializing as often as I can. I don't know what kind of event would change my mind where I says to myself "ok, it's time!"

Fab Karen
07-17-2010, 03:53 PM
I once thought I'd never shave the fore-arms, but now they're smooth, & when exposed ( in boy-mode ) no-one has said anything to me. Also same for shaped eyebrows- no-one has ever said anything.