PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever have to be a dressmakers dummy ;-)

MarinaTwelve200
08-26-2005, 07:19 PM
N E one of you ever have to be a "dressmakers dummy" for your mother or other female friend or relative, especially when you were younger?---Had to put on a dress under construction (and perhaps even have to wear a bit of under proping) while the maker made adjustments, sewed a hem, etc.?

Yes, both my mother and sister asked me a couple of ocasions, in my early teen years, but I said no and they didnt press the matter any further. Its not a good idea to do such things when U are already a well hidden closet CD. :D I might have done it though, had they been a bit more insistant.

Rachael Warren
08-27-2005, 04:36 AM
I did as a child, my mother used to make ballroom dresses for my dance partners. I used to pretend I didn't like it! ;)

Rachael. :)

MelindaC
08-27-2005, 07:25 AM
I did this fairly often, from childhood well into my college and graduate school years. My mom used to make most of her dresses herself. I was often pressed into service to put a dress "in construction" on so she could hem it or do whatever tweaking was needed. I did so nonchalantly and I was quite happy to be of help --- I didn't mind at all, obviously. Just had to be careful not to let it show that I enjoyed this little task. And I still prefer to wear dresses to this very moment. Dresses are just so more comfortable to wear than pants!!!

Slightly off topic --- she once asked me during my teenage years (during dinner, no less!!) if I'd wear one of her girdles to stretch it a little. I said "...sure...", matter of factly. But alas, I never heard any more about it (darn it!!). Girdles were how I started CD'ing, so naturally I woukd have been ecstatic to honor this request. I think she suspected I was "borrowing" her girdles and was maybe fishing for an answer. However, I was never directly asked if I was wearing them. This was back about 1960, which was the heyday for those fantastic, wonderful Playtex rubber girdles that I always loved so much. Just wish that request had turned into reality --- could have led to being able to wear them more openly and to even have my very own girdles back then.

jo_ann
08-27-2005, 08:48 AM
I might remember ONE incident my mother did this (since she did sew), wished she had done it more.

Jenny Beth
08-27-2005, 09:45 AM
Dressmakers' dummy........don't I wish! My wife does alterations for half the women in town, she gets gorgeous things to work on nearly every day. As much as I'd love to try some of them on it wouldn't be ethical business wise. Most of it wouldn't fit anyway but the tempation is sometimes too much to bear......especially if it's a gown. Here's one I would have loved to try on, but it was a size 4.

MichelleH
08-27-2005, 01:52 PM
My mother did some sewing and alterations for friends. Once when I was about 10 years old, she had me try on a dress for a girl I knew so that she could hem it (we were about the same size). I had a hard time pretending that I didn't like it. It was a pink crinoline party dress. I really looked forward to that!

Michelle