PDA

View Full Version : Men's Earrings???

Rhonda Jean
07-22-2010, 02:19 PM
I vividly remember back in the dark ages when there was no such thing as men's earrings. Honestly, to me they're all women's earrings. That's why I love 'em! But the fact is that now men's earrings are common, or is it that men wearing women's earrings are common. I'm so confused!

I love hoops, and several years ago when huge hoops became all the rage I did my own little experiment. I had already established that 1" hoops were a non issue. Over a short period of time I bought hoops in just about every diameter I could find, beginning with a pair that brushed my shoulders. My (then) wife looked like she was going to throw up. I didn't really like them either, but I had to try them. The next ones were about 3" in diameter. I really liked these, and still wear them. My wife didn't react until I prodded her for an opinion. "You know I don't like them, but whatever" was all I got.

Later I bought myself and early Christmas present of the most expensive earrings I've ever bought myself. Wide, patterned 14k gold hoops that I love, and I didn't intend to save these for girl mode. These fell into the "dirty look" category, until we were heading out to a Christmas party and she said, "Not those earrings!" I was able to get out the door with my 1" thin gold hoops.

Without going through all the other scenarios, what I found was that while 1" was fine under any circumstances, at least as far as my wife was concerned, as long as my earrings were smaller and less elaborate than hers, she was at least marginally okay with them, at least to the point that she didn't make me take them off.

I applied this principle to many things. I tried to make sure my heels were shorter and my skirts longer than hers. Oh yea, and my boobs smaller.

I think that for the general public a 1/2" hoop is about the (ridiculous) maximum diameter hoops for men. Must be why I don't even own a pair of hoops that small.

As far as studs go, it appears that the bigger the diamond stud the more "manly" it is. Does this make any sense?

Now I even see guys wearing button earrings. To me, these have always screamed "old lady". I haven't had any of these since my mother gave me her old clip earrings back when I was about 12. I wouldn't wear those in fem mode, much less male mode.

I'd rather not even think about those awful ear-stretching things. What do those peoples ears look like when they take those out?

Pythos
07-22-2010, 03:49 PM
Earrings are neither one or the other gender.

Men used to wear earrings, in fact pirates wore a gold earring that in the event of their death would pay for their burial.

Why they became acceptable for women only?

Simple, because men became machines for industry. They became utilitarian. That is why Jeans became the staple men's wear for a long time, for the working man.

Men's fashions became practical, or power projection.

Earrings and jewelry can get caught in machinery, this is true for both men and women, but women did not work in industry, so they did not become utilitarian.

I really think part of history courses in schools should also be segments about how fashion devolved for men, and now even women's styles are dulling out for the "lower to middle classes".

I have seen those ear lobe stretching things on a couple of guys at the bank (and they give me guff for my leggings?), and find them horrible looking, but am I gonna put them down for it. No way. It is their style. I would love to have some black cross shaped earrings for my Goth look, LOL, but I am more than sure I would face all kinds of flack for that. Funny enough, the guys ear things seem to be the only ear wear worn there, the ladies are usually without anything on their ears.

I for one am happy to see men wearing earrings, I think it is silly that men were not able to.

bianca66
07-22-2010, 03:54 PM
I love hoops, and several years ago when huge hoops became all the rage I did my own little experiment. I had already established that 1" hoops were a non issue.

But then again when hoop earrings where in, I think pirate shirts were trying to make a comeback :doh: :heehee: :D

Pythos
07-22-2010, 04:22 PM
HEY!!. Done right, pirate shirts look good. LOL.

Done wrong they look awful.

Alicia_lynn419
07-22-2010, 04:40 PM
I've had one ear pierced for over 20 yrs. Pierced the other ear about 8 years ago. I keep both ear rings in 95% of the time... now my "guy ear rings" are smaller, thin gold hoops, but then again, I come from and arts/music background. NEVER had any grief about it (and I keep my legs shaved year round too)!

sandra-leigh
07-22-2010, 06:30 PM
In my experimenting, hoops down to my jaw-line are more or less ignored, but hoops down to my shoulders do get notice and looks and the occasional guffaw.

Likewise, dangles down to my jaw-line might get noticed but not "looks"; beyond that gets more notice. It would probably depend on how ornate or bright they are, though -- my below-the-jaw dangles happen to be a good 1/2" or more in diameter.

I recently went through a period in which I wore the same fair-size cultured black perl dangles for several weeks straight, decidedly not "mens" earrings. They stopped being paid attention to: when you wear something for long enough (e.g., a watch or ring) then it becomes what is "expected" for you including by strangers: your body language and mannerisms adjust to the point where you "project" that such things are nothing special.

Ellen James
07-22-2010, 06:33 PM
I keep trying to figure out how to justify wearing small rings - after all they were considered an essential fashion statement by Napoleon's hussars!! and they were considered a very very macho crowd. After all, one of the most famous hussars reportedly said that any hussar over the age of 30 wasn't trying! :heehee:

AKAMichelle
07-22-2010, 06:46 PM
As far as studs go, it appears that the bigger the diamond stud the more "manly" it is. Does this make any sense?

I'd rather not even think about those awful ear-stretching things. What do those peoples ears look like when they take those out?

The big diamond studs seem to be a racist thing. At least to my wife. She hates my diamond studs most of all. Small hoops are ok, but everything else is out of the question.

As for the ear stretching, I never understood that. I know a guy who took them out and it appears he will always have a stupid looking hole in his ear. I don't think that it will ever completely close up.

Personally I don't see the big deal about guys with earrings. But some people really make a big deal of everything.

jenifer m.
07-22-2010, 10:29 PM
i need to get my right ear peirced so i can fully experience what you are talking about.im still a clip on girl.

Marissa
07-23-2010, 12:37 AM
Being 46, I had my ears finally pierced about 5 weeks ago.. had silver hoops put in as I was told they would move more freely and help in the healing process. Sounded good and felt good but unfortunately, my sleeping manner would aggrevated the opening and blood spotting would occur. So i put plastic studs which helped get by visiting family with only my sis in law mentioning them (think others noticed but said nothing) and I slept better.

Okay, I know this does not address the topic, but I was so worried about wearing such large hoops (at least they were to me :D) but i noticed more guys with them on and at various ages.

No, i can not understand putting a saucer (okay, that is what they look like to me.. :eek:) in your ear to make a big gap if you ever remove them.. even my daughter is stretching her ears a bit.

Just a few days ago, I noticed that I may be all healed. So maybe this weekend i can actually put lovely dangling earrings in.. :daydreaming:

Yes hoops are the in thing for guys but there is a limit in size..

Hugs,

Marissa
07-23-2010, 12:42 AM
i need to get my right ear peirced so i can fully experience what you are talking about.im still a clip on girl.

Jenifer, I was a clip-on girl for past year and half but some of them did hurt my ears..even to the point of leaving a scar..which made one coworker think I had pierced my ears.. hmmm well next time she sees me, I can show her I did. :D

anyway, the scar still remains so it sort of leaves one pierced ear seem so noticable with no rings in. Just dealing with that.

I missed that whole part of getting one ear pierced..just wasn't me..

Hugs,

Kathryn Martin
07-23-2010, 04:28 AM
I have worn an earring in my left ear since 1983. I am a lawyer and it has had 0 impact socially or professionally. I am now getting my other ear pierced and will switch ears while working but I want the ability to wear both ears when dressed.

wanagione
07-23-2010, 05:59 AM
I have one ear pierced I'm still waiting to get the other one done. My 16 year old son has both pierced. He is artsy. I got my year pierced 2 years ago on vacation, it took people at work about 1/2 a day to notice it. Maybe i'll get the other one done this year.

kimdl93
07-23-2010, 10:04 AM
Isn't it all a matter of personal perception? I know some people who would judge any earring - even a simple post - as effeminate. Other people wouldn't care one way or the other.

Kathryn Martin
07-23-2010, 10:13 AM
Isn't it all a matter of personal perception? I know some people who would judge any earring - even a simple post - as effeminate. Other people wouldn't care one way or the other.

That is so true, I have been fortunate not to have a negative reaction.

Martin

Jamie001
07-24-2010, 11:00 PM
Why not wear earrings in both ears while working as a lawyer? Why limit yourself to one earring? I don't understand.

I have worn an earring in my left ear since 1983. I am a lawyer and it has had 0 impact socially or professionally. I am now getting my other ear pierced and will switch ears while working but I want the ability to wear both ears when dressed.

Rianna Humble
07-25-2010, 02:42 AM
It seems to me that the kind of earrings that most men seem to wear are pretty boring compared to the choice that we have available to us. Where I work it seems a lot of men never progress much beyond the hoops or studs that go in when you first get pierced.

Maryesther M.
07-25-2010, 08:32 AM
For me in guy mode earrings are a total no-no. If I ventured to have my ears pierced my wife would leave me and I might as well chuck in my profession. I just don't move in those circles.
Maryesther wears lovely dangly earrings which she adores, but they're all very convincing clip-ons.

Karen__Starr
07-25-2010, 08:57 AM
I have long hair so my upper cartilage earrings and mid cartilage earrings cannot be seen unless I have a ponytail. Even my lower earring is unseen when wearing post-backed stud earrings. My main issues with earrings is when teaching self-defense as jewelry can easily get in the way, otherwise I have three earrings in each ear all the time and all are female earrings. Right now my navel ring matches my lower earrings.

I have to say that my upper cartilage piercings hurt for at least a week while the others were just fine in several hours.