PDA

View Full Version : Some good news with a question

Philipa Jane
07-23-2010, 01:21 AM
Hi everybody.
I have had a good day today with news from a doctor about my health.
I have had depression for the past year in a big way and have been taking the anti depressants that my GP prescribed.

I had been advised to go to the National Well Men Clinic here in Perth who deal exclusively with depression.

I had a three hour chat with a psychologist who was very helpful and was then asked to go and have some blood tests. They were looking for abnormalities in my health which my GP had not done.

Yesterday I saw the practices Doctor for the results which were all good except for the testosterone being on the low end of the scale. 10 point 2 on the first test and 8 point 4 the next test the following day.

At first I felt that the Doctor had not read his notes and was playing catch up as he did not mention my being a CD only that there was some problem with me and my wife.
The psychologist had told him and he was just getting me to fill in the blanks.
He reaffirmed what we all know that as long as it does not hurt you or others then go for it. When others have a problem with the CDing then it’s their problem and let them deal with it. Now that is very simplistic as there are always other issues but for me it was a good to hear.

Now here is the question.
They will only prescribe HRT if I ask for it.
Do I need this?

I am feeling as though the road to recovery is in sight and this has mainly come about from me accepting who I am and being comfortable with this. So much so that I wore a plain cami with a little lace at the top and a pair of very lacy panties.I did not expect to have to take any clothes off so I was feeling quite brave.
I was then asked to remove my shirt so he could listen to my heart and lungs (believe me when I say they were working overtime) and then to be asked to drop my trousers for a prostate exam.
Oh what the hell I had already told him that I cross dress anyway.
I have another appointment with the psychologist next week and feel good about that.

All of you give yourselves a hug from me because in part you have helped me enormously this past year.
PJ

Vickie_CDTV
07-23-2010, 02:17 AM
Do you mean feminizing HRT, or TRT (testosterone replacement therapy.) I have read some men (male bodied persons if you will) find TRT helps with depression if their testo is low. It is worth discussing with your doctor.

Christina Horton
07-23-2010, 07:45 AM
I think she means Hormone Replacement Therapy . That so it covers both male and females. Now here's something you might want to think about . What if your Hormones have always been low and thats why you CD? If they give you Hormone Replacement Therapy you might not want to CD anymore. We may Cross dress because we all have a low testosterone count.

So MY question to you is this "Do you want to risk not being a or having less drive to want to dress anymore?" Unless you want Female Hormones and in witch case you'll be more female then ever before. Just food for thought...

kimdl93
07-23-2010, 09:57 AM
one comment - you mentioned being prescribed an anti-depressant by a GP. Have you also been involved in regular therapy? If not, I would urge you to do so. There is overwhelming evidence indicating that people with depression will recover more quickly and be far less likely to suffer future bouts of depression if they have cognitive therapy along with meds. In fact, meds alone seldom have lasting results.

DonnaT
07-23-2010, 11:12 AM
Now here is the question.
They will only prescribe HRT if I ask for it.
Do I need this?

Probably not for depression, or the doc would have indicated it would help, chemically speaking that is. I would think.

Self acceptance should help.

But the kink in the armor might be with your wife. How will she feel about you and HRT. HRT meaning female hormones, not testosterone. And how will that affect your depression.

My T level is less than yours, but I've never suffered depression. So couldn't say what the affect of andro-gel would be on depression. I was prescribed andro-gel but it didn't raise my T level very much.

Debra Russell
07-23-2010, 11:51 AM
My testosteorne level is very low and andro-gel has raised my T level significantly and helped with depression. I guess it depends on the person and the right doctor - good luck - Debbie

Maryesther M.
07-23-2010, 12:07 PM
Best to take no pills at all.
Anti-depressants have a limited and diminishing effect. Social therapy is the key there.
HRT & similar 'optional' drugs are for serious transgenders only.
If you're a just crossdresser, forget it.

Philipa Jane
07-24-2010, 01:48 AM
Thanks to all for the replies.
I may be confusing the story here but I was told from the outset that the tests would be to see if my testosterone levels were low and that these could be elevated with hormone replacement if necessary.
Even though I have told the psychologist and the doctor that I am a CD nothing was said about making me more or less of my current gender.
I also stated that I am happy with myself and that anyone who knows about me (close friends) better get on the wagon or just keep walking.
My ultimate goal is to be off the antidepressants and be my old happy self; on great terms with my wife plus enjoying my feminine side when needed.