PDA

View Full Version : That's YOU?!

TxKimberly
07-26-2010, 08:34 PM
So today was one of the few where I spent it working in the office. I got a good look at myself in the mirror and decided that I had been neglecting my male side and was in bad need of a haircut, so off I went to "Fantastic Sams" to get one. As I walked in the door, I noticed it said "Facial Waxing" and purely on the spur of the moment, I asked the woman working there if you had to make an appointment for getting your eyebrows waxed or if she could do it now. She looked at me for half a second and assured me that she would be happy to do it now if I liked, and of course the next thing that she wants to know is what shape I want. I figured 'what the hell, lets tell the truth' and took out my all time favorite self pic and showed it to her:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/196/495385879_c4bd34c338.jpg

"Well, this is how I look half of the time. Can you do something that would be kind of a happy medium and look good for this look and still be acceptable for this look?" I asked, pointing at the photo and then at myself.
I swear her jaw literally dropped as she looked at me and then the pic.
"That's YOU?!" she asked with a shocked tone of voice and an odd smile on her face.
"I know, hard to believe huh?!" I said with a laugh. "So what do ya' think, can you do a happy medium?"
"Of course I can!" she said, now with a huge smile. She grabbed my hand and took me over to her station and started to look at my eyebrows.
"You know, they're really not that bad!" she said, but then continued. "But you did make it kind of straight and flat. We've gotta put some arch in there!"
"Well see, there ya have it! That's why I came to a professional!" I told her with a wink.

The thing I enjoyed the most was that she honestly seemed delighted with the entire concept! I gave her a $10 tip and got her name so that I don't have to explain it all again to another stylist. I'm already thinking that the next time, we'll go a little more dramatic. :D

Sara Jessica
07-26-2010, 08:40 PM
Priceless Kimberly, finding a stylist like that. You'll have to report back how the arch is playing out in guy mode.

(memo to file...yet another task for the list to keep that elephant in the room singing loudly)

BTW, cute photo, I can see why it's a fav of yours!!! :)

Kathi Lake
07-26-2010, 08:53 PM
Yes, Kim. Dramatic! Dramatic good! Let's hear it for the arch! Arches good! Flat bad.

:)

Kathi

CallMeMeg
07-26-2010, 08:54 PM
I really should do that. I have my brows (and neck) waxed when I have my hair cut at the local haircuttery (we can't all see Fantastic Sam) and last time the girl must've thought "guybrows" instead of "eyebrows" and left me with a brow below my brow bone. I don't think it looked good for a guy, and it definitely didn't make me happier about my upcoming "flying pretty" episode. It didn't stop it though. :)

By the way Kimberly ~ thank you for showing me that it Can Be Done. I had a great experience flying to Kansas! It's all in http://youCanCallMeMeg.blogspot.com.

TxKimberly
07-26-2010, 09:00 PM
. . . By the way Kimberly ~ thank you for showing me that it Can Be Done. I had a great experience flying to Kansas! It's all in http://youCanCallMeMeg.blogspot.com.

Good for you Meg! The flying girls club is growing and growing!

StacyCD
07-26-2010, 09:06 PM
I would love to have my brows waxed. Unfortunately, that's something that I will likely on ever dream of having done!

Bobbie Bee
07-26-2010, 09:11 PM
Kim, I like that picture of you to no end. You look gorgeous in it.

Amy Lynn3
07-26-2010, 09:17 PM
Good on you Kim ! I did have my brows done on a regular basis, but have not been to a salon in awhile.

Teri Jean
07-26-2010, 09:22 PM
Kim that is great news and she is right, you are very attractive. We all need a little help once in awhile and they love working with us. We know what we want and we are generous. LOL

AKAMichelle
07-26-2010, 09:23 PM
I just had my eyebrows done last week. I didn't put much arch in them but after my flight to Chicago then a little arch. Plus a little swagger if I don't wimp out of flying to Chicago en femme.

Shelby
07-26-2010, 09:27 PM
I need to do something with my eyebrows as I feel that they are one big "tell" on me when dressed. Isn't fun when you can shock someone with your pics?

donnatracey
07-26-2010, 09:28 PM
But Kimberly, what about the "guy" trim??.....:D Was it "OBE'd" by the waxing?....:eek:

Aleria
07-26-2010, 09:28 PM
I would get mine waxed, but... sigh... have to be careful... and that might be too much of a giveaway.

Rogina B
07-26-2010, 10:13 PM
Show your girl pic [I use my state ID card]and tell her you want a "middle of the road" arch...Get em waxed..only takes a few minutes.AND PEOPLE ARE COOL WITH US!! No big thing...just vanity..It is a whole lot better than plucking and WE ALL LIKE THE ATTENTION! I pay 10 and tip 5..WIN WIN!:2c:

jenifer m.
07-26-2010, 10:39 PM
yeah thats how i started my manis and pedis.then eyebrow waxing.now every body in the spa asks me every time now(did you bring any new photos?)they all love jenifer.its great i even chat with the other ladies who are getting stuff done.

Christinedreamer
07-26-2010, 11:22 PM
I think we must be related. Your avatar looks just like me sister.

BTW I get my brows waxed as well as those pesky over-50 male ear hairs. I HATE catching a view of errant ear hairs in the mirror in or out of femme mode.

Miranda09
07-27-2010, 12:51 AM
What a great experience Kim, and you DO look awesome in that photo. No wonder her jaw dropped! ;)

Lexine
07-27-2010, 12:59 AM
Hi Kim! Funny you posted this... I JUST got my eyebrows threaded today! And yes, I told the lady to make sure that there's "more arch" on it :D Glad to read your eyebrow waxing went well! It's so awesome isn't it :)

Sammy777
07-27-2010, 01:15 AM
You'll have to report back how the arch is playing out in guy mode.

I now have unmistakably female eyebrows, lol, thin, arched, ect.

And I can tell you that even when I'm reluctantly out as him I get nothing negative at all. most people dont even notice.

I would advise to do it a lil at a time if you have big bushy man brows though, lol. :heehee:

Persephone
07-27-2010, 02:16 AM
Yes, Kim. Dramatic! Dramatic good! Let's hear it for the arch! Arches good! Flat bad.
:)
Kathi

I pay 10 and tip 5..WIN WIN!:2c:

Hold the phone!!! You pay like $10 and a $5 tip??? Holy Chihuahua! I pay like $20!!! Plus $10 for tinting, plus a tip!!!

What is average for eyebrow waxing?

BTW Kimberly, that is a great photo of you! You look gorgeous! Great uh ... great hair! Great uh ... eyes! Great uh ... great uh ... rack!

Sherry-Stephanie
07-27-2010, 07:58 AM
Kim...I did the same thing with my tech at Ulta when I went there to get my brows waxed although I had been there before for a makeover...and I got the same response...got to love it.

I've also done that in a few other situations as well...clothing stores etc and it's all been very positive responses...they seem to do the quizical look and then see the pictures and the mouth drops and once they see it's really the "one and the same" they get juiced up to work on you...not sure why but that seems the case...maybe we become their new adult version "barbi doll" and they get to dress us up...LOL

But it's a blast needless to say....

Kaitlyn Michele
07-27-2010, 08:04 AM
Wow Kimberly...vavavoom...that is a very pretty photo!!

I'm glad you had a great experience!

CallMeMeg
07-27-2010, 08:18 AM
Kimberly, I did want to say that I almost didn't fly because of you. I saw your flickr albums. No-one would ever question you!

For fun, I showed some of the pictures to people in the office and said it was my "friend from Texas". Comments ranged from "she's very pretty" to "does she ever visit you?"

Chari
07-27-2010, 09:06 AM
WOW - Kimberly, my jaw dropped too when I saw your favorite pic! All your other pics were great, but your fav one is super hot! I too found a wonderful understanding hair stylist that has given me more of a feminine image with a different flexible hairstyle and waxed-trimmed thinner brows. Did it all slowly, without negative comments about my new look!! Once you get your brows to a comfortable/acceptable shape, a little weekly clean up is all that is needed. Enjoy your new look!

Charolette time
07-27-2010, 10:21 AM
I trim my brows when shaving, But the thing that got my attention was a few weeks ago I was in a locale Mall and a ladie was doing a guys eyebrows using a method called string trimming, she would put thread in her hands and mouth then shape the brows, I was mesmerized by this and wished it was me, maybe I'll get it done someday, Has anyone else seen this being done???? Charolette

Gerrijerry
07-27-2010, 10:31 AM
I also saw that being done at my local mall. I think it must be something new because I never saw it before.

ReneeT
07-27-2010, 11:24 AM
Kim, thanks for starting this thread. Waxing my browss is something i do on a regular basis. My brows are definatley 100% femme - thin, arched, but it has been a slow steaddy transition. I am sure people notice, but so what? I have a job that puts me in front of people all the time, and it is definately not an issue. Plus, i usually wear glasses in guy mode, which draws attention away from my brows. In femme mode, having refined brows is a real plus

TxKimberly
07-27-2010, 11:55 AM
Kimberly, I did want to say that I almost didn't fly because of you. I saw your flickr albums. No-one would ever question you!

For fun, I showed some of the pictures to people in the office and said it was my "friend from Texas". Comments ranged from "she's very pretty" to "does she ever visit you?"

Awe that's neat - thanks!

WOW - Kimberly, my jaw dropped too when I saw your favorite pic! All your other pics were great, but your fav one is super hot! . . .

Thank you! Of course I have to admit that this picture is now almost 15 years old, so i was quite a bit younger and had a LOT fewer wrinkles! LOL

cindym5_04
07-27-2010, 01:43 PM
Oh come on, now...we've been saying it for YEARS- Kim is gorgeous!!

yes, yes, I'm still way jealous! LOL

TxKimberly
07-27-2010, 04:10 PM
Oh come on, now...we've been saying it for YEARS- Kim is gorgeous!!

yes, yes, I'm still way jealous! LOL

Ummm. .. . you DO have a mirror right? The pics I've seen of you make it pretty clear that you have no need to be jealous of me! lol

TGMarla
07-27-2010, 05:35 PM
I remember that pic of you from way back. I always loved it, thinking that it was one of the very prettiest T-ladies I'd ever seen.

She still is! :battingeyelashes:

Great little story, too.

steftoday
07-27-2010, 07:10 PM
I remember that pic of you from way back. I always loved it, thinking that it was one of the very prettiest T-ladies I'd ever seen.

She still is! :battingeyelashes:

I so agree with you Marla!!

MsJanessa
07-27-2010, 07:49 PM
I used to have mine waxed once a month at a beauty shop where I got my hair cut up in Maine---the stylist knew exactly what I wanted and did them well. Sadly since I moved to VA a year ago I haven't had them done--maybe its time to start again

cindym5_04
07-28-2010, 07:27 AM
Ummm. .. . you DO have a mirror right? The pics I've seen of you make it pretty clear that you have no need to be jealous of me! lol

AWW you so sweet!!! :heehee:

TxKimberly
07-28-2010, 07:20 PM
Someone asked if I would post a pic of the results of the eyebrow waxing. Didn't have any of me purty so y'all got stuck with ugly old Matt. :D

JoanAz
07-28-2010, 10:07 PM
Someone asked if I would post a pic of the results of the eyebrow waxing. Didn't have any of me purty so y'all got stuck with ugly old Matt. :D

Nice wax job, You Know with a little makeup, and flowing Blonde hair, some Classy clothing, Stockings & Heels. That guy would make a Lovley Lady:love:

Thanks for the Picture,,,,:hugs:

Teri Jean
07-28-2010, 10:22 PM
Kim you are one amazing gal. Your brows are just fine and I have to agree with Joan. A little loving care and your magic we will all continue our love affair with this jet setting lady. I venture to say if most of us woke in the morning and looked into the mirror we would not see the wonderful ladies we really are. Hugs to you sis and thank you for being a wonderful person. Teri

Veronica Lacey
07-28-2010, 11:31 PM
Would love to have witnessed this one in person. Nice!

Alice B
07-29-2010, 12:24 AM
Great story, but then yours always are. I have been getting my eye brows waxed for the past 5 months, but have yet asked to have a more female look. I just might have to do it now as my whole family now knows. You look great as usual.