PDA

View Full Version : An update, aspergers, and therapy

Drake
07-27-2010, 01:11 PM
Hey guys! Haven't been here in a while, so yeah, you probably don't know me very well.

Anyway, I can't remember where I was the last time I posted here. I think I was extremely stressed or something? It would take forever to say everything that's happened from then.
Right now I'm out to my aunt, my brother and sister, my mom, and now my grandfather (crazy homophobe but a bit more tolerant to transgendered people..?) knows sort of but never brings it up and probably doesn't take it very seriously.
I have one more brother to come out to, who I know will be pretty cool with it, and then my plan is to change my name on Facebook. Then the rest of my family will know.

So far I've been getting the best reactions possible, except for my mom who thinks it's Aspergers causing me to feel this way, but really, I think she's just trying to think of any excuse for me not to transition because of the way it looks on her and because it's something she has no control over. She's a real control freak.

My dad doesn't know and he's the reason I haven't come out sooner. He has bipolar and was going crazy every time I wanted to come out. Obviously I didn't want to make a stressful situation even worse. He still doesn't know and I know he won't take the news well...

All that being said, everything's calmer than it's ever been and honestly this is the best chance I'm gonna have to come out, so I'm going for it.
My sister is also gonna help me with trying to pass, which is awesome. She knows a lot more about fashion than I ever will. I might start the RLT this week or the next.

Lastly, I have a Gender therapy appointment on August 12th. I've had it scheduled since May. ****ing awesome.
Now, I'm not worried about the questions they'll ask or anything. I've been to normal therapy before so I've gotten a lot of my nerves out that way and thought through a lot of stuff. I'm pretty prepared. However, there's still something that's been bothering me.

I have Aspergers (undiagnosed but confirmed by my therapist, another aunt who works with autism/aspergers people, my sister who is studying psychology (and she's fricken amazing at it), and I have a book on it which describes me pretty spot on.
On top of that, my father has bipolar, like I said.
AND lastly, I get hallucinations when I'm really stressed.
With these 3 things, I'm wondering if these will slim my chances of getting diagnosed with GID. There is absolutely no question in my mind of whether or not I'm a man. I know I am. I've felt this way since I was a toddler, just varying degrees of acknowledging it.
I just don't want them to think I'm mentally ill, and that this is the reason I feel the way I do.

So, does any one else here have Aspergers or something like that (mental illness in the family) and did it affect how the therapist judged you? Anyone can answer.

carolinoakland
07-27-2010, 01:36 PM
Well, first, welcome back. and know that you already know the answers. you just haven't asked the questions. And I know pleanty of transwomen with aspergers, and one has NOTHING to do with the other. I have come to the opinion that a lot of the emotional / physical disorders are the result of a life time of anxiety, fear, and well just plain stress. Be you. that's all that matters.

Stitch
07-27-2010, 01:37 PM
Aspergers syndrome is pretty common in my family. My brother has been diagnosed with it, I'm 100% sure one of my uncles has it and from what I can tell my Gran also had it.

Incidentally my boyfriend also has it, he was diagnosed at age 14, where as my brother was only diagnosed this year. My boyfriend is 33 and my brother is 32.

My brother's therapist has been very good about his Aspergers. He was forced to go to her because he said something supposedly "inappropriate" at work. Not that it sounded bad to me, just his regular sense of humour taken the wrong way by something who didn't know him well. Since then his work colleges have found they understand him a great deal more.

I definitely don't consider autism or aspergers to be a metal illness. It's just a different way of seeing the world and thinking. It's actually considered a developmental disability.

I'm really not sure how it would effect your diagnosis for GID. I'm sure a good therapist would listen to all you had to say and not judge you because of it though. I'm also sure that your gender therapist has most likely seen people from all walks of life and may have even encountered someone with a similar story to you before.

I hope it all goes well for you. :hugs:

Kieron Andrew
07-27-2010, 01:43 PM
She's a real control freak.

My dad doesn't know and he's the reason I haven't come out sooner. He has bipolar and was going crazy every time I wanted to come out. Obviously I didn't want to make a stressful situation even worse. He still doesn't know and I know he won't take the news well... sounds like you and Ze have similar parents

Drake
07-27-2010, 05:58 PM
I already know that Aspergers is a developmental "disability" and it actually doesn't bother me at all. I'm actually pretty gifted as a result. The mental illness part I was referring to was my father and the fact that I've had hallucinations before myself.
I was just wondering if anyone's had any issues getting diagnosed with mental illness in the family. Ex. Them thinking I'm delusional or something.

I brought aspergers up because it's not uncommon for people with it to experience gender anxiety, usually based on not fitting in socially. My mom is trying to use that excuse.

I'm not too worried about the therapy. Excited really. Just curious to know if these issues will hinder me at all.

Thanks for the responses. :)

Stitch
07-28-2010, 01:28 AM
I already know that Aspergers is a developmental "disability" and it actually doesn't bother me at all. I'm actually pretty gifted as a result. The mental illness part I was referring to was my father and the fact that I've had hallucinations before myself.
I was just wondering if anyone's had any issues getting diagnosed with mental illness in the family. Ex. Them thinking I'm delusional or something.

I brought aspergers up because it's not uncommon for people with it to experience gender anxiety, usually based on not fitting in socially. My mom is trying to use that excuse.

I'm not too worried about the therapy. Excited really. Just curious to know if these issues will hinder me at all.

Thanks for the responses. :)

I hope it didn't sound patronising at all. :sad: I'm really sorry if I came across that way. I actually have a few traits myself, I take after my Gran very much apparently.

mistunderstood
07-28-2010, 11:45 AM
I have bi-polar and GID. My counselor was able to see it was different than just having Bi-polar.

Felix
07-28-2010, 03:54 PM
Hi Drake Felix here and nice to see ya here again :) I don't have Aspurgers but my partner does. She is a trans woman who fully transitioned 7 years ago. She also is dyslexic and suffers from tinitus so a mixed bag. None of this had any baring on her diagnosis of GID. I can understand coming from a psychiatric nurse back ground myself why you may be worried but if everything is under comtrol it should not stop you being diagnosed with GID. I know others who have similar problems to you and it has not stopped them. What the professionals want is to know that one condition isn't influencing the other and as long as they are happy with that you should be ok. Hope this has helped. xx Felix :hugs:

AnonyMouse
08-06-2010, 04:12 PM
It's so cute how as soon as you come out, everyone you know is an amateur psychiatrist who can tell you why you're not "really" trans. Next time your mom tries to bring that up, you might oh-so-subtly remind her that she's not a doctor.

I don't have Asperger's, so I couldn't say anything on that subject. I think my sister might have it, but then she could just be a cranky semi-sociopathic recluse.