PDA

View Full Version : I can see now

Lorileah
08-02-2010, 11:32 AM
Yes, I can see now just how extremely lucky I was. I will credit mostly luck just like in any gamble. I usually hate to make far flung analogies (yeah right...I am as bad as Dr Phil with homespun corn) but my life has been very similar to a poker tournament. There is luck involved. And sometimes blind luck, which I had in my case. I had a woman who didn't follow the drums of the rest of the world.

I don't ever remember just stating "I am a crossdresser" in my life. I remember subtle hints and innuendos. I remember looking longingly at shoes and dresses and skirts and yes, forgive me, underwear. My wife was not bothered by this. I guess she knew before I did because she would say things about "would I like to have that?" or "what do you think of that girl's outfit?" It was natural to us. Over 33 years it wasn't Shrek and Fiona. It was Alfalfa and Darla (google it all you under 40). We didn't place our restrictions on one another.

Over the years I had in my "very visible stash" skirts she had given me, blouses, a pair of shoes, various pieces of makeup. It was my decision to hide thinking that is what guys do. I mean how could I be a good husband if I was prancing around? She never said anything to that effect. The worst thing I ever heard her say about my liking female attire was "I can't believe you would want to wear that, it is so uncomfortable. But if that is what you want, go for it". So from basically early in our relationship she "knew". We talked about guys in drag and guys who were more "effeminate". I knew her feeling s on all this before we got married. And, in the back of my mind, even though I was scared about what I felt, I knew I was safe with her. There were times when I was stressed where she said "go throw on your skirt and come and relax." I would laugh and go off and stress about why did I need to do that...what was wrong with me. But she didn't see anything wrong with it. One rule, just one rule the whole time "Don't embarrass me". That was it. No Sundays only, no only when I am gone.

So as you can see my perspective is skewed to the come out early side. 33 years and cancer took her. Not my dressing, not my myriad of stupid pet tricks. But the main thing is we knew before we made a commitment what would be and what wouldn't be. We discussed things that were important to us and me being transgendered (although we didn't have that word back then...I was "different") was one of those and we never argued over that. We rarely argued at all really. Because best friends may disagree but they always forgive.

After recent threads I felt the need to explain why I say what I do. I came out early, before we had huge investments in that fairytale castle. If she had not accepted me, then I would have felt bad and we both would have moved on. We would have probably remained friends until our lives diverged more. I may have never found another but I doubt that is true because you see, since then I seem to attract the same type of person. Maybe that is luck also. Maybe I just hang out with people who don't seem to mind the outter look as much as they like the inner being. And I tell them about Lori early. No one has ever said they hated me or walked away even if becoming intimate was not in the cards. I won't say that Lori isn't intimate, "she" is always a part of that. But that is MY mental state, who I am inside. In my mind so to speak...it is not foist upon the partner but can be part of the game. (once again debunking that crossdressing is always a sexual fetish). I know it is beyond that time for most people here, The boat sailed, the train departed and now you have to play the cards you have. But play them slow. Go for the little wins not the grand pot right away. You will lose some and you may feel you are going down to nothing , but time and patience especially when you have been working at it for a long time is better than the rush to glory.

Getting back to the poker analogy. You can fold and fold and keep folding when you are not positive you have a good hand. You have to read the odds and sometimes bet on them. You make small pots over time and rise in the tournament. But if you decide you are going all in after playing for hours and building a huge chip stack, realize that every hand can be beat. When you go all in you have to know that your pocket aces can be busted by three 2's. So be careful when you think you should push all in...maybe it would be better to just call and raise the next hand. But you should not throw in aces, just play them smart. Long way around saying that you know your partner, you know if you go all in and she hates men in dresses, expect to lose that hand. The bigger the chip stack the bigger the fall.

RebeccaLynne
08-02-2010, 12:01 PM
...I've gotta register for the 90K PokerStars Freeroll...

Lorileah, I closely followed your posts in Georgi's thread...and have read many of your earlier postings as they occurred, as well.

And I've always appreciated your viewpoint. You've provided a realistic take on the ramifications of CD'ing, both positive and negative...

Please accept my thanks for keepin' it real:hugs:

Woulda expounded on my thoughts, but gotta go register...hope springs eternal!:daydreaming:

charlie
08-02-2010, 01:09 PM
Hello Lori!
Thanks for the heartfelt and open post. Good advice for all of us as well. Sadly, I have a most unaccepting wife and small pots are the rule.

Victoria Anne
08-02-2010, 01:26 PM
Lorileah your posts are quite thought provoking , I must add my voice here to yours . My wife knew about Viccy before I did , she has always been my strength and as you said patience in all things in our world as the saying goes "fools rush in" I am fortunate enough to have a wife who encourages me in my transition but my transition plan is still yet another 15 years to the end but it will be so worth it. It is I believe more rewarding to see the small steps pass with success rather than defeat . I am a master diver trainer and I always tell my students , actually drill it into their heads "plan your dive and dive your plan " safety is assured and the same philosophy will serve us well here.

carrie-ann
08-02-2010, 01:35 PM
Thanks for your post it was a great read. I'm lucky I have a wife that supports me 100%.

sissystephanie
08-02-2010, 01:47 PM
Loprileah,

I have no idea how long ago you lost your wife, but I am very sorry that she is gone. I had a wife like yours for almost 50 years before cancer took her several yers ago! I told I was a CD when I proposed to her and she accepted me "as is!"

You were very right to take life as you did, and your advice to others is very good. I hope you have a very happy life from now on!

Nicole Erin
08-02-2010, 02:16 PM
Ok sorry I get it now.
How long ago did you lose your wife?

Of course I am divorced, I guess I will get to see what the future holds, we still have a kid of course so in that way a part of ech other's lives.

I don't know how I would have handled it if she had passed. I could say that even though she is only 40 that would not happen but how famous a words are those?

DonniDarkness
08-02-2010, 02:22 PM
Great post Lori,

I can see from your thoughts here, that your help/advice is heartfelt and honest. Sometimes the truth is ugly and people choose to deny the truth for fact. People sometimes make bad choices with the best intentions in the attempt to "fix" what they have "broken".

I would say that any of us that have someone special in our lives that love us unconditionally, are truly fortunate.

Your relationship with your wife was just that....unconditional.
Many married couples do not have unconditional love for one another, for some love is a selfish emotion. It is part of the "your supposed to be/act like this....because your MY husband/wife" mentality. And for some marriage is about creating a "ticky tacky" lifestyle because they were taught to pursue a "white picket fence and 2.5 children"......People get caught up in themselves and forget how/why/for what reasons, they made vows.....or that it was for LOVE

My marriage has always been a vow to my best friend that i will always be there for her, no matter what.

But like you, the "being different" was always there from very early on. She had questions/fears about it but always accepted me for me. And never said anything till i brought it up that CDing was bothering me......and then she accepted me even more....because after all this time she is still IN LOVE with ME......she is not in love with her idea of who i should be......To her im just the weird, strange, Different, quirky, guy she fell in love with.......in a cute outfit.

We love ya lori,
-Don-

LisaM
08-02-2010, 03:46 PM
Lori,

Thanks for your post.

Danni Bear
08-02-2010, 07:48 PM
Lori ,
I am so sorry for your loss no matter when it happened. To lose your love is heartbreaking.
Your advice to all is what makes you so special and loved on here. You never just tell one of us what we want to hear but what is truley in your heart. You are one of most beautiful souls I have ever seen .

Danni Beard

az_azeel
08-02-2010, 07:53 PM
Lori what can i say.. what a post and a good analogy ...do you know how much shoe leather i used to come all the way over here and post... seriously though been a pleasure to get to know you through the years... :hugs:

MsJanessa
08-02-2010, 08:23 PM
Your wife sounds like one in a million--it's sad she went so soon

Philipa Jane
08-03-2010, 01:02 AM
Lori.
As with the others I have found this post of yours quite moving.
You do seem to have a great balanced insight on most subjects and I enjoy following your comments.
I don't play poker but do get the concept.
PJ

Ozark
08-03-2010, 01:18 AM
My wife has said the same thing: "Don't embarass me." One time she said, "That shirt's too feminine" and I changed shirts. but that's all in 37 years of marriage.

She picks stuff out for me--Name Brand Clothing and thrift stores--
She is one of those special ones who accept us as we are.

It was reaffirming to me to read your post.

Did I spell "embarass" right? The computer says I didn't. I mean, how many vowels can it be? Em Bare Ass --- it's either an "A" or an "E". So why do I keep getting the red line under it telling I can't spell worth a darn?

Satrana
08-03-2010, 03:29 AM
Although luck is involved in everything, we can manage luck to a certain extent by being the right person in the right place at the right time. You have to be forward and expose yourself to the world and then the luck magically begins to flow. My luck with my feminine side only took off when I came out of the closet and began telling people who I really was. Within weeks I had met my wife and rest followed from there.

When CDs go into the closet, they are entering self-imprisonment. It is up to you to end your own self-imposed banishment and reach out to others and then your outlook on life will change.

The only real luck that was outside my control is that I am young enough that the internet was born and gave me the knowledge to understand myself before committing to marriage. The next CD generation are even luckier. They can google their thoughts and feelings the moment they arrive and understand they are not alone and do not need to grow up locked inside their closets.

kimdl93
08-03-2010, 03:39 PM
I suck at poker - I can't bluff worth a darn. So, I had to "come out" early to my SO - before I put myself in the position of having to lie about who I am. I can understand and empathize with those who couldn't come out...and I have no solution for those whose SO's can't accept or support. So, young ones - be honest if you find yourself growing into a relationship... even a tragically short, open and supportive love affair is better than a life spent hiding oneself.

Lorileah
08-03-2010, 03:52 PM
a tragically short, open and supportive love affair is better than a life spent hiding oneself.

I like that :)

Miranda09
08-03-2010, 04:17 PM
I love the poker analogy Sis, and for me, even tho I'm not in any kind of relationship (bummer), after being on this site and reading about all the experiences many have had with spouses, SO's etc who were both accepting and unaccepting, I have learned that putting all your cards on the table is likely a good play. True, you may wind up losing, BUT, you may just wind up being the Vegas winner, like you were. Good advice! :)

AKAMichelle
08-03-2010, 08:21 PM
I see a lot of love for your wife in your post. She apparently meant a lot to you. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend and wife. But they say that if you ever truly loved, then you are very likely to find another. Sounds like your GF might be that person for you.

Each of us have our experiences of telling others, some good - some bad. Mine wasn't a good one, but I too still advocate telling early. I guess it is age, but I just don't want a lie anymore. I would rather be alone than living a lie.