PDA

View Full Version : Girls part in a school play?

MarinaTwelve200
07-31-2005, 10:28 PM
Did anyone ever have a girls part in a school play?

In third grade, my best friend and another boy got picked for a short play on "hats"---It was suposed to be all girls, but they didnt have enough. Each girl wore a hat, and in turn, and said a couple of lines of poetry, about the hat that they were wearing.

"Gerald", my friend, ended up decked out in a full skirted, floor length, "prom dress" a hat, of course, and lipstick. The other boy wore a t-shirt and jeans, and HIS hat, but Still had to wear the lipstick. You could see where he wiped it of on his shirt, at least once, but still his lips were bright red for the performance.

----Posting error continued at #5

Jennifer in CO
08-01-2005, 08:05 AM
6th grade. I have a short story I wrote from my diary I'll post somewhere sometime about it. I was in a play and although didn't have a girls part, I played a nobleman (Shakespear I think it was - dont remember what play) and my mom let me wear my sisters lacy dress as a top and black satin pants with her black Mark Janes to create my "noblemans" costume...

Jenn

KittyKat GG
08-01-2005, 11:58 AM
I hope I don't step on any toes (painted or not) by throwing myself into these posts. :) I'm not a CDer or anything, but as a high school senior girl, I got to play the role of the Artful Dodger in the musical "Oliver!". That was fun.. Except I had to ace bandgage my "babies" down, wear a sports bra, ANOTHER layer of ace bandage, and a tank top.
:eek:

KittyKat

Laurie Ann
08-02-2005, 06:36 PM
When I was in the 4th grade we put on Peter Pan and I played Peter I got to wear green tights all the time even before the play my dad was upset that I wore them all the time. In high school we put on a senior skit a spoof on several fairy tales and I played one of the ugly sisters in Cinderella I got to wear baby doll pajamas and a long dress on stage. I had a blast.

MarinaTwelve200
08-28-2005, 04:13 PM
Growing up, have any of you, or a classmate ever have to take a girls role in a school play? Could you imagine, as a boy, having to wear a dresses and makeup and preforming on stage for hundreds of people?

thankfully(?) I dodged THAT bullet, but a friend and classmate of mine, in the 4th grade, got transfered to another classroom where there were only 3 boys in the entire class.---They put on a short play for all girls about "Hats"--each girl wore a different style hat, and walked onto the stage and delivered a poetic line about the hat she was wearing.----Poor "Gerald" was right amoung them, wearing a full, floor length prom gown and red lipstick, with his own ladies hat. He seemed to take it ok. Another boy had on a white blowse, smeared with lipstick, where he had been wiping his off---but they made him go up anyway and deliver his line too. (with fresh lipstick I might add) :D

In the late 50's, when this happened, in the upper grades, 8-12 (it was a consolidated school) It happened more often--one day, as I got on the school bus, a friend of mine told me with a grin, we got some new girls riding today. I looked and saw two eighth graders dressed as older girls --sweaters, boobs, poodle skirts, red lipstick and makeup seemingly expertly applied.--They looked "scarry" real, save for one's wig was made out of yarn.
We saw them acouple of time later in the day as they walked to classes---Word was the highschool was putting on a play---but WE,in our grade didnt get to see it (Drat!) the "girls", still in costume and makeup, rode home with us on the bus that afternoon.(apparently there were no changing facilities at the school--even I remember having to wear my "Leiderhosen" costume for our school feild day class performence once)----

I also saw on TV (the kind with a screen), some years back a news excerpt about the new popularity of Gilbert and Sullivan---Ant it showed a class of english Schoolboys being dressed and made up for the female roles in Pirates of Penzanse--Quite elaborate wigs makeup and costumes--the Brits dont hold back. The interviewer asked one of the boys "how do you like being a girl?" He just shook his haed full of bouncy blonde curls and shruged his shoulders, saying, in efect, "Ehhh, no big deal"----This happens often in the UK, so I suppose it dosent bother the kids much. :rolleyes:

Personally, I dont think I would have liked having to to be a girl for a play---although it still is a great fantasy for me.--- I would have fought it. In private is one thing, but on stage and being seen is another. :(

Kimberly
08-28-2005, 04:21 PM
There are some plays where it's part of it that men play the female parts. (Ok Kimberly, get on your theatre hat...)

Pantomimes for example - the Dame.

I was also in a production of Bouncers at school, (for a drama exam,) in which we didn't have the costume, but we had to act out the girls part. We had a cast of 2 guys and 2 gals, and each one of us played a (male) Bouncer, a lad on a night out, and a girl on a night out. It was more satirical than actual female representation, but there was a lot of joking in the cast about making the guys wear girls clothes for a bit of "method acting". I said no... but a huge booming, but female voice in my head said "YES!!!!"

hehe...

Rachael Warren
08-28-2005, 04:38 PM
Prety much all of Shakespears plays were acted purely by men, the stage wasn't a place for the ladies!

Rachael.

Phoebe Reece
08-28-2005, 04:50 PM
I never was on stage when in school, but since then it's another story. While working overseas we had a little drama club in our community. Over the course of years that I was involved with them, I played female roles in six separate plays. The name I go by, Phoebe Reece, is actually a character in three of those plays.

Lisa Maren
09-22-2005, 03:02 AM
I never had a girl's part in a play. Half of me totally wished I did, but the other half of me was worried that if I ever did, I'd never live it down (I was always the small kid who makes such an easy target for that). Now, I feel as though I missed out on a lot.

Anyway, my junior high school was all boys and when boys had to fill a girl's part, they totally dressed them up. Girl's outfit, pantyhose, probably some makeup, definitely a wig. Needless to say, I was always enraptured to watch that. lol

Hugs,
Lisa