PDA

View Full Version : Vacations? What are the most friendly?

JoannaCaroline
08-04-2010, 12:02 PM
I'm always getting asked where to go dressed on a vacation so I thought I would start a thread on the best TG vacation spots. I travel a lot but maybe I'll find a new fun place too.

Some ground rules though because some of us (TXKimberly) don't really count when it comes to traveling for TG'S. She is worse than me. She just goes anywhere. Id love to hear her comments on this but lets keep the suggestions for those who are not quite so bold

Rule 1. Somewhere to go for at least a few days and be comfortable dressed the whole time.

Rule 2. Should legitimately be somewhere you would send someone new to dressing and not quite comfortable.

Ok here are my suggestions in order of places I think everyone could feel comfortable

1. P town (Province Town) Go in summer though. Too chilly in the winter
3. San Francisco. Anytime, anyplace but Folsom festival is amazing
3. Amsterdam. Very cool anytime but watching the boats during Pride festival is fabulous
4. French Quarter of New Orleans. One of my favorite cities in the world but I'm being very specific about the area. Some parts of Nola are not quite so friendly and it is a violent city.

Of course you can go to almost any major western city and do fine but there are idiots everywhere. NOLA is the only one I would hesitate to send a newbie though. Lets hear others.

Nicki S
08-04-2010, 12:16 PM
Key West!

VickysBFF
08-04-2010, 12:17 PM
HiJoannaCaroline: I'm a NOLA native. I never went out en femme there because of the issue of running into someone I knew but in general it's a fairly CD/TG friendly place. Especially if you stick to the French Quarter and the tourist areas. I would not recommend going out into the suburbs or other areas of the state.
SF is a great place to vacation. I went there for a vacation last year and had no problems or issues anywhere in the Bay Area from SF to Oakoand to SJ.

Sarah Doepner
08-04-2010, 12:44 PM
Las Vegas has always worked for me. An excellent CD community of girls and resources, a resident population used to a wide variety of visitors, visitors who are looking for an unusual experience and lots of interesting places to go.

joann07
08-04-2010, 03:54 PM
I have a few suggestions.

Seattle Washington
Denver Colorado
Chicago Illinois
Key West Florida
St. Petersburg Florida
Atlanta Georgia
Provincetown Massachusetts
Las Vegas Nevada

Hugs!

Sandygal
08-04-2010, 04:01 PM
I agree with Nicki. Key West. We would just blend right in.

RachelPortugal
08-04-2010, 05:00 PM
Ok, so that's the States taken care of, what about in Europe.

JoannaCaroline
08-04-2010, 05:51 PM
I have a few suggestions.

Seattle Washington
Denver Colorado
Chicago Illinois
Key West Florida
St. Petersburg Florida
Atlanta Georgia
Provincetown Massachusetts
Las Vegas Nevada

Hugs!

Ive done vacations in Atlanta, P-town (province Town), Chicago, and Seattle. I agree with you on P-Town for the newbie but Chicago requires a little more confidence. I loved it and would go back any time but like NYC you have to be willing to ignore the idiots. Im sure Key west would be good though.

JoannaCaroline
08-04-2010, 05:56 PM
Ok, so that's the States taken care of, what about in Europe.

Ive done London and no one batted an eye. Lausanne, is a wonderful city, and skiing in most of the alps works too. Basically any city in central and northern Europe is very cool and I saw a few TG's in Mykonos, but Amsterdam is my favorite. I was trying to keep this post to the places we would recommend 1st vacations for newbies so Amsterdam wins in Europe.

denisecdfl
08-04-2010, 08:04 PM
Newbies should go to Vegas. Several places to get a makeover, such as from Stephanie Danderson (tgirlstore), Glamour Boutique, and Studio Lites.
All can direct you to safe places, and there is something going on every night. They can also hook you up with some local girls to accompany you. Nora and the local Tri-Ess group can also help, and there is an extensive review of the local hotels, clubs, and shopping on the Diva Las Vegas site.
You might want to hold off until cooler weather, as it got up to 113 last month when I was there. Dry heat? Hot enough to melt mascara !!

Charleen
08-04-2010, 08:52 PM
I'm going to Savannah in September during the Gay pride Day. I've heard Savannah's pretty accepting, is that true!

Sedona
08-04-2010, 09:23 PM
As far as The South goes, Savannah is about as good as it gets. A beautiful city, a youthful/artsy vibe downtown. Hope you have fun!

Loni
08-05-2010, 01:41 AM
i have spend some time in las vegas, check the weather before going...it will be way to hot (over 100F)in the summer(at 2:am). and way to cold(below (32F)/windy (up to 40 mph) in the winter. :eek:

as for san francisco, it has to be the only city with a law requiring ALL places to accept all trans gendered peoples.
so shopping should be a dream.
(i live only 140 miles from there and just not been :eek: )
and the summers can be colder than the winters.

reno is small so not much there but the weather is the same as vegas. get up to lake tahoe to beat the heat.

i would say watch out for the east coast toward the south and along the gulf. as the humidly will be a deal killer.

seattle is a great place, not been there too much and never dressed.

i have heard sweden can be a fun place? any words about there??

but as for violence all city will have there "bad" peoples to avoid at all costs.

Fab Karen
08-05-2010, 04:42 AM
Most newbies wouldn't think of going outside their home or hotel room.
NOt yet mentioned:
L.A. ( but you have to get info on best areas to be in, & those to not be, like most major cities )
San Diego
in general the best areas have a gay nightlife. When it comes to international places, check up on the latest news there before going- in Greece for example the strikes make it uncomfortable for visitors.

joan47
08-05-2010, 06:06 AM
My hometown, many years ago, New Hope,Pa.

Nicole Marie
08-05-2010, 08:57 AM
New York City is no problem for CD's, even newbies, as long as you stay mostly downtown (south of 23rd Street). You can venture into Times Square, the Upper East Side or West Side but if you stay in SoHo, Tribeca, the East or West Village, you will just blend in with the rest of the locals! Have fun, be safe and enjoy!

Kim_Bitzflick
08-05-2010, 11:05 AM
I would suggest the Dignity Cruise. I can't remember where or when it sails, but for a first timer on a ship with a bunch of other CD's.

AND remember, on the ship, unless they are friends or family, you will never see those people again.

I dressed last November on a regular cruise & had no problem at all.

JoannaCaroline
08-07-2010, 05:44 AM
Ive heard of the dignity cruises but never knew much about them. Im not sure I want to be on a boat for several days with any one group of people. :-) They would get really tired of me after about 2 days. They are probably a great suggestion for most though. Anyone tried it?

Nikki A.
08-07-2010, 03:31 PM
I spent a 3 day weekend dressed in Denver as a newbie and had a great time and even met a few of the girls there. Great shopping but it can get hot in August.

Melanie R
08-07-2010, 05:26 PM
Our next Dignity cruise is 5 days out of New Orleans Oct. 30-Nov 4. We will enjoy being enfemme in NOLA before the cruise and being enfemme on the cruise among 2000+ other people. Registration for the cruise may close the end of ugust.

Proteus
08-07-2010, 08:00 PM
I'd say just about any town in Western Europe.

i have heard sweden can be a fun place? any words about there??
Sweden is very LGBT friendly on the surface, so you'll have no problem visiting, but you'd be surprised to find out how conservative it really is. Most people don't know about the Swedish eugenics program, that they would sterilise the "mentally deficient" as late as 1975, but even fewer know that they still use it against transitioning transsexuals.