PDA

View Full Version : Crazy!

halfman_halfamazing
08-09-2010, 06:07 AM
I almost went to the bathroom with my brother! Almost cuz I chickened out, I didn't have my stick and I could hold my pee. But still! It was a rare family trip to the movies cuz we have a cousin in and we were waling to the toilets and I said can I go pee with you? Lol he gave like the awkward you're retarded knowing friendly smile if you can picture it lol.

Also I always got annoyed about people who complained and had trouble with masculine and feminine in the spanish language. I was like it aint that hard! but now.. I hate it myself.
It is so hard. Every day. If you think pronouns are bad well I cant even be "asleep" or "together with another girl" or "own something" or even be "happy" without being reminded of what I dont want to be or rather what I'm not. Its even harder cuz I cant use to masculine forms cuz it just seems crazy to talk like that to my mom and more so my grandma! And cuz it feels like its a sting to my mom when I use it ot correct her. Just hard. Cant explain it much.

Ze
08-09-2010, 07:31 AM
I can somewhat understand the language thing; it reminds me all the time when re-learning French. Thankfully it's not my native tongue, so I can't imagine how having to forcibly talk in such a stance in everyday life feels like. :hugs:

7sisters
08-09-2010, 08:22 AM
I dont know which person genderised objects. Uski aanke ... Uska aanke. I can never tell in my own language! So I simply say the line with one gender and repeat it with the other gender. Conversations with me in Hindi are always extra long with everyting repeated twice. Luckily I'm so bad at talking that everyone forgets to be insulted I changed their gender and they just stare! Oh And I forgot... Ronaldo I even wanted to learn spanish. I fell in love with a handsome South american man and for the last twenty two years, I'm on the first page of Berlitz. I can say 'yo quiero!'.

Lex
08-09-2010, 08:55 PM
Yeah, I always thought that such gendered language would be difficult. With english, if I don't want people to know I'm a girl, that's easily done. I'm so grateful that I never had to deal with that sort of language issue, I'm not sure what I would have done about it.

Leo Lane
08-10-2010, 06:06 PM
It is so hard. Every day. If you think pronouns are bad well I cant even be "asleep" or "together with another girl" or "own something" or even be "happy" without being reminded of what I dont want to be or rather what I'm not. Its even harder cuz I cant use to masculine forms cuz it just seems crazy to talk like that to my mom and more so my grandma! And cuz it feels like its a sting to my mom when I use it ot correct her. Just hard. Cant explain it much.

I know just what you mean. I spend a whole lot of time speaking French and a fair amount of time speaking Spanish, and masculine and feminine forms are a true bummer. :hugs:

Fab Karen
08-10-2010, 06:21 PM
yeah for example in Spanish you have to say either "I'm a male painter" or "I'm a female painter" - the gender is demanded.

sandra-leigh
08-10-2010, 06:22 PM
With english, if I don't want people to know I'm a girl, that's easily done.

At least until someone starts using a third person singular or third person possessive pronoun for you, he / she, his / her.

Back in high school I used to refuse to use "he" or "his" for an unknown or abstract person. I never made a big deal of it to my teachers: I just used to go ahead and use "one" or "they" or "one's" or "their", and if the teacher took marks off because grammatically the masculine was considered appropriate, I would just shrug and keep doing it. They must have realized eventually that I wasn't going to change, as they stopped docking me marks for it. (These days, Oxford English Dictionary, OED, says that using "they" for the third person singular was considered appropriate in the time frame that Modern English was being formed.)

Lex
08-16-2010, 04:17 AM
At least until someone starts using a third person singular or third person possessive pronoun for you, he / she, his / her.

Yes, but at least if I look like a guy they'll probably call me 'he'. And I don't need to give myself away with the words that I say.

Andy66
08-16-2010, 11:05 AM
Oh wow, Ron. I hadn't really thought about it. That does suck, doesn't it? :sad: