PDA

View Full Version : Women don't wear men's clothes to crossdress!

sometimes_miss
08-09-2010, 10:30 AM
In another thread, Satrana wrote:

the hypocrisy of women's use of masculine clothing.
When are we going to realize that the everyday use of men's clothing by women is not for the same reason that we crossdress? They are not trying to emulate men. They are not trying to be masculine. They are not scratching their crotches, walking with a masculine swagger, changing their voice to be more man like, hiding their hair under a hat to look more like a man, or putting on fake five o'clock shadow. They are simply tired of having to be made up sexy every waking moment of the day. Face it, women's clothing is all designed to do one thing; make us want to have sex with them. Nearly all of it is 'form fitting' (that means TIGHT), accentuating every curve of her body. Same with hair styles, make up, jewelry, nail polish, shoes, etc.; it's all designed to attract men. AND, it's a lot of work just to start out a day like that, not to mention the constant maintenance to keep up that appearance. Women simply get tired of it. Sometimes they just want to do ordinary things without having to become someone's sexual fantasy. Every woman I ever dated wore my shirts occasionally, and most wore jeans, work shirts and work boots at some point when the chore required it (and none of them were wearing men's underwear underneath,as compared to us wearing ALL female undergarments under our female clothing). Never was it to try to be masculine or display themselves as male. This concept really needs a thread to be pinned at the top of the forum, because too many can't see the difference.
Disclaimer: Sure, maybe once in every 10 years you'll find a woman wearing men's clothes for the main reason to appear masculine and hide their femininity. But it's exceedingly rare. Where as, we do the reverse all the time.

Lorileah
08-09-2010, 11:00 AM
Disclaimer: Sure, maybe once in every 10 years you'll find a woman wearing men's clothes for the main reason to appear masculine and hide their femininity. But it's exceedingly rare. Where as, we do the reverse all the time.

I must hang out in a different world. I do know women who crossdress with the express purpose of appearing more masculine, right down to tighty whiteys and or boxers and walking with a swagger.

I agree that women who wear "male" (as in designed for men in the men's department) clothing are not necessarily doing it to look male. But there are quite a few males here who would be pleased to be able to wear "women's" clothing without the whole schmear of looking totally female also (and I believe there would be a lot more who would eventually do that if it wasn't a stigma). 60 years ago the women were getting the same arguments about what they were wearing as we are now. Women in slacks were considered lesbian or wanting to be a man or wanting to take a man's place. Women even bought into this and if they didn't wear slacks would chastise their counter parts for "dissing" the men in the world. The difference here is women soon didn't care what the men in the world thought and they really didn't care about how the neighbor "Donna Reed" felt about it. Men are far more worried about the perception of masculinity and to be honest, the guys are the major reason this isn't more main stream. Funny thing happened when women started wearing pants. They became empowered and started taking on more non traditional roles. Real quick here when I say the word "nurse" what comes to mind (you who see a muscular male are not being honest) If I say construction worker (very few saw Rosie there now) but many more that the nurse example could envision a woman. Ask a woman those questions and more women may envision a male nurse (not Chippendales ladies) especially if they have had recent contact in a medical setting. For men, say teacher and a woman comes to mind. Say that to a woman and she can envision either sex. The point is that women are more accepting of gender bending clothing (caveat evidently as long as it isn't your man...unless he is Mel Gibson in a kilt or one of the guys from the 300) but guys are far more reticent about guys in even kilts (many men who watched Braveheart had the thought in their minds about how the guys in kilts were probably cold "down there" or that they were rather at risk during fights in that area).

So I will say the hypocrisy that we see is more OUR own making. Many of the things listed were at one time masculine. Make up, hose, pumps (worn by males in the courts), frills, wigs, all that but the men let them go.

In a way I agree with the concept of the thread. It is crossdressing for us because WE make it crossdressing. The people on here who complain about how their wives/GF's get to wear what they want should realize that their wives/GF's wear what they want because they decided that gender specific clothing is ...well bunk. Now we have to get rid of the stereotypes that we seem to reinforce here. The "gay" clause and then the posts about how when one is dressed he suddenly becomes attracted to other males (because after all that is what the clothing infers) and how after wearing women's clothes for a few years they decide then that they are transsexual ("and my wife doesn't understand why I want to become a woman" ).

Philipa Jane
08-09-2010, 11:22 AM
Hi all.
I am sure there will be many more posts on this subject.
I must congratulate Lorileah on a very well constructed reply.
Often if the response is too long winded I tend to lose interest.
My problem with the short attention span.
I believe there are many amongst us that have used the argument that if women wear male style clothes why can't we do the same.
As Lorileah points out men wore what are now classed as female attire may years ago but have abandoned for a more comfortable life style.
Predominantly in the bird world the male is the brightly coloured of the two sexes ( ducks, peacocks etc ) and loosely speaking the males in other groups tend to be more grand in looks.
Perhaps we as males have lost this urge to be the more attractive of the species and those amongst our group are reaching out to redress this. Pun intended.
PJ

sissystephanie
08-09-2010, 11:41 AM
Lexi wrote a very good Thread starting post, and Lorileah answered it very well!

With the slight variation I am using in my title (sorry, Lexi!), I will give my opinion!

Most women wear men's clothing for comfort, not for any other reason. As Lexi wrote, much of female clothing is form fitted. Most of men's clothing is not, therefore it fits looser making it more comfortable if that is what you want. I wear feminine clothing because I like the fit!! Of course, there are a lot of women (GG's) who do crossdress just as Lorileah says. But I believe they constitute a very small minority of the GG population of the world!

Besides, who cares what they wear, as long as we have pretty clothes to wear ourselves?? I care about my clothing, not what someone else chooses to wear!

Persephone
08-09-2010, 11:58 AM
Lorileah's answer rocks!

But I'm concerned about your view of women's lives, Sometimes Miss.

Granted that many women, particularly young single women, may dress to attract men. Especially if they are going to events where desirable men will be found.

But I live in a world of Moms, typically married suburban soccer mom types and we largely dress for the social approval of each other. Looking good is a woman thing that gains social acceptance and self-esteem.

Men tend to think that they are the center of the universe and that women spend their lives obsessing about them. Sorry, that's not completely true.

Ze
08-09-2010, 11:58 AM
For the umpteenth time, critiquing the clothes and clothing habits of others is not allowed on this site. You need to look at the rules just as much as you need to stop putting others in a box from one-sided points of view.

I'm so freaking sick of this topic always coming up.