PDA

View Full Version : Working with the NFL

Teri Jean
08-14-2010, 11:28 AM
Well one would ask how this has anything to do with crossdressing and transitioning but I found an unusual situation that I had not thought of prior to my transition. I have had the pleasure to work with the Minnesota Vikings for the past eighteen years during their training camp. No I have not one autograph. This summer I had been living my RLE for 10 months and here comes the training camp. I worried about acceptance and if they would treat me differently, would they ask for a replacement during their stay, would there be respect, etc. Your mind can be very powerful and overwelming if you let it.

One of our coaches who has worked with the Vikings paved the way behind my back last October shortly after I came out with my RLE. She was talking with a grad-student we had here that now works on the staff of the team and broke the news. Well by the time they had showed up and moved in I had found this out and also had some good advice from a sister I met at the Be-All conference. It was the best camp I can remember and the staff and team were so wonderful.

It may be the last year I will have with the staff as I prepare for retirement but I have to say to any of those who may be in the same type of situation is the same advice I got. Be yourself and go to work as you always do, they are big guys-they can deal. That advice came fron Christina Kahrl, who transition on the job in the baseball sports climate. We all look at the negative and do not realize there will be those who struggle with our decissions but there are far more who are receptive and kind.

So ladies and gentlemen, step out and realize you have not been the first and hopefully you can influence and help others.

:hugs: :love: Teri Jean

kimdl93
08-14-2010, 11:34 AM
One more reason I'll be pulling for the Vikings to win it all in 2011!

Sara Jessica
08-14-2010, 04:05 PM
Nicely said Teri, I'm glad it went well for you.

Teri Jean
08-14-2010, 04:13 PM
Thank you both and although I am not necessarily a fan of football these people have touched my life in such a positive way. Not only this year but also the past eighteen. This year the camp the cap of a career at the university that many individuals do not get a chance to experiance.

As I prepare for my retirement and GRS I can say I have had a good career and life. The rest is like a wonderful icing on the cake.