PDA

View Full Version : You can try them on here?

TxKimberly
08-14-2010, 08:21 PM
So yesterday my wife, my presumed future daughter in law, and I, went shopping at Nordstroms Rack. No, I didn't get to go dressed, but still I had fun just the same. I found a killer pair of sandals with 5 inch stilettos (I still haven't decided if I'll wear them through an airport or not) and a couple of dresses. Sick to death of buying expensive things and getting them home to find that they didn't fit, I took my things to the dressing room. They have one desk at the entrance to both, the male and female dressing room and so I got in line with my dresses and two sizes of the shoes I liked.
"Excuse me sir, I can take care you for the mens dressing room." a pretty young lady called to me, waving me forward. I had the two dresses kind of folded up and sitting on top of the shoes.
"I'm sorry, but you cant take the shoes in to the dressing room." She told me.
"Well, thats a shame, because they were really my main reason for entering the dressing room." I told her.
"You can try them on right here if you like?" she said, pointing to a chair in the mens area of the dressing room hall.
"Uh, I'd really rather not. . . " I told her, starting to get embarrassed.
"Are you sure? It's against our policy to allow shoes to be taken into the dressing room. You could use that mirror right there to see how they look?" She sounded honestly unhappy, but still. . .
I glanced down at the pile of things in my arms and realized she probably had no idea what kind of shoes I wanted to try on, because they were covered by the dresses. I pulled the dresses aside and opened one of the boxes.
"I think I'd really rather not sit there with your male customers all walking past me while I try these on. I'm brave, but I'm not that brave!" I told her while pointing at the high heels.
"OOOOOHHHHH!!!!" she said with a grin. "Come on!" She took me to one of the mens dressing rooms and that was that!
Almost as funny, the dresses didn't fit (damn it!) and so I brought them out with me. It was a different girl behind the counter as I exited.
"Here, I'll take those!" she said with a huge smile, then she got a confused look on her face as she realized that they were dresses.
"But these aren't yours are they?" she actually asked me. I put my finger to my lips and looked both ways.
"Shhhhhh . . . don't tell anyone!" I told her, winked, and then walked back to my wife and future daughter in law where I told them the story. I wasn't sure how my wife was going to take it, so I was relieved when she started to laugh . . .

Angiemead12
08-14-2010, 08:26 PM
Hehehe your so brave I love reading your stories Kimberly! :hugs:

Dee Baker
08-14-2010, 08:38 PM
You go Kimberly. At least you didn’t buy dresses only to get home and find that they didn’t fit!

Danielle Austin
08-14-2010, 09:19 PM
I love your stories, Kimberley. I often find myself living a bit vicariously through your adventures. Every time I pass through the Austin airport, I wonder if I'll see you.

I know that Nordstrom’s Rack in Austin quite well :) I've been several times with my wife. As a closeted CDer, walking through their shoe section is always a little tormenting for me.

So do we get a picture of the shoes? Maybe at the airport? More importantly, can you seriously walk on those terrazzo floors in 5 inch heals?

-Danielle

TGMarla
08-14-2010, 09:23 PM
Ah, these are the memories that life is made of. I'm glad you shared it all with us. Whether or not you are into trying on high heeled strappies in front of male customers or not, you still have way more guts in your little finger than I do in my whole body!

Too bad the dresses didn't fit. I just got a new one today too, and it didn't fit well either. Oh well. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Teri Jean
08-14-2010, 09:36 PM
Kimberly it does catch them off guard when one does that but fortunately most SAs are really good with it. It would have been fun to be there though. Hugs

Stacye Rose
08-14-2010, 09:38 PM
Nordy's are NOT supposed to ask questions like thay. that's a violation of the company handbook. Or maybe she is new and hasn't learned to always use her best judgement. However if Dan, Eric, or John (the three Nordstoms who currently run the company) heard about your experience they not be very pleased.

CallMeMeg
08-14-2010, 09:40 PM
I've tried on women's slacks and jeans at "box stores" where the dressing rooms are together but until June, that was it.

Looking for something for my "flying pretty" episode, I was at Marshalls. I picked up a couple of skirts, a top, and folded them over and went to the dressing room. The clerk looked and I said "three items" and fluffed through them a bit so she could see. A dark skirt was on top, but the other items were clearly Not From Men's.

The rooms were full and I stood around acting bored with two other men waiting to try on more conventional clothing. I saw one look at what I was carrying, then he looked at me, but that was it.

TxKimberly
08-14-2010, 09:57 PM
Nordy's are NOT supposed to ask questions like thay. that's a violation of the company handbook. Or maybe she is new and hasn't learned to always use her best judgement. However if Dan, Eric, or John (the three Nordstoms who currently run the company) heard about your experience they not be very pleased.

And THAT would be a darn shame because I was entirely pleased with the experience. I don't blame a young person for being caught completely off guard by something entirely outside of her experience. Hell, I might say something silly if caught in the same situation just because of the surprise factor! lol

AKAMichelle
08-14-2010, 11:29 PM
Sounds like you had a good experience even though it did take several people by surprise. I wouldn't have been bothered by there reactions either. Although I wouldn't have tried on dresses in male mode. I would have been dressed for sure.

Brenda456
08-14-2010, 11:42 PM
Sounds to me like you had a great time!

DianeDeBris
08-14-2010, 11:52 PM
Kimberly - we all love your stories and adventures, do keep up the good work and do keep letting us hear about it! It sounds to me, BTW, like your future daughter-in-law is herself aware and accepting, which speaks so well of you and your whole family. Now here's my question: I'm actually getting quite comfortable shopping en drab, and I'm about ready to begin using the dressing rooms; but I don't see how one can really tell the fit of a dress, top or blouse unless one is wearing one's forms. What am I missing here? Thanks and hugs! Diane

TxKimberly
08-14-2010, 11:59 PM
. . . but I don't see how one can really tell the fit of a dress, top or blouse unless one is wearing one's forms. What am I missing here? Thanks and hugs! Diane

THAT is an excellent point! I don't carry all of that with me when I'm shopping in male mode, so I do still have to make a few educated guesses as to if the garment is going to look good or not. Still, that hasn't really been much of a problem. If I try the dress on, and it is far too tight across any area, or the arm holes are too small, I just saved myself the expense of buying something that isn't going to fit. If I try it on, and it fits reasonably well, and has a reasonable bit of slack in the breast area, I've never been disappointed with the results.
So, in the end, there is still a little risk and a little guess work, but not much.

randumbness
08-15-2010, 12:03 AM
I admire your courage and your story made me feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside. That was great. And don't worry, most of my really close GG friends tell me how disappointed they are too they often find a dress that doesn't fit.

Miranda09
08-15-2010, 12:13 AM
That is too funny Kimberly, but I must say, you handled yourself admirably with a nice touch of humor. You know, this was one of your shorter threads! :)

cosmolovesph
08-15-2010, 09:43 AM
Great report on an experience that was teetering on going either way! Sorry the dresses didn't work out. So did the shoes fit?

Christina Horton
08-15-2010, 09:52 AM
Well done Kim. If it were me and they wanted me to try on the shoes on outside of the dressing rooms well.....I would have . But thats me FEARLESS..... or stupid what ever it may be LOL.

Tina B.
08-15-2010, 09:54 AM
Kim, loved your shushing, the little girl and telling her "don't tell anyone" that is just too funny! Hope them shoes deon't get you hurt, I don't think I could handle 5'' heels.
Tina B.

Sara Jessica
08-15-2010, 09:58 AM
Cute story Kimberly!!! But wow, the scenario is one I wouldn't be likely to attempt. Sounds way too close to home & with family in the store as well, you're sure fearless!

TxKimberly
08-15-2010, 10:07 AM
. . . So did the shoes fit?

They did indeed! Now the only drawback is that they have 5 inch stiletto heels and so are a bit extreme for airports. Still, I think I'm gonna do it! After all, I ain't that old YET!

Rachel05
08-15-2010, 10:19 AM
Amazing and I so wish I had you confidence, maybe one day I hope, but great to hear stories of other sisters being out front

Stephanie-L
08-15-2010, 12:04 PM
Good for you Kim. Too bad that the dresses didn't fit, but then again, you are a skinny B**** who looks way too good in a dress anyway, you are outshining all of the rest of us, LOL........Stephanie

TNRobin
08-15-2010, 12:33 PM
THAT is an excellent point! I don't carry all of that with me when I'm shopping in male mode, so I do still have to make a few educated guesses as to if the garment is going to look good or not. Still, that hasn't really been much of a problem. If I try the dress on, and it is far too tight across any area, or the arm holes are too small, I just saved myself the expense of buying something that isn't going to fit. If I try it on, and it fits reasonably well, and has a reasonable bit of slack in the breast area, I've never been disappointed with the results.
So, in the end, there is still a little risk and a little guess work, but not much.

I do pretty much the same thing now, though in day's past I wouldn't have dreamed of it. And like Kimberly I can pretty much tell if something will work even without my breast forms, though I do try it on again when I get home with them just to make sure before I toss the receipt.

As always I enjoy your stories, though I tend to miss them now since I'm not on the forum as much as I used to be. You could always include them in an e-mail to me.:D

SherriePall
08-15-2010, 01:29 PM
Kim -- Loved your story, but I do have to ask, are you really going to try to wear those shoes at the airport?
I don't want to scare you, but what if you fell and broke something? I can just see the report now: While breaking in a new pair of 5-inch stilletos, Miss Kim fell on the newly polished floors and broke her .......
BTW, I want to see pics of the shoes first.

Michelle Charles
08-15-2010, 04:09 PM
You are a total riot!!

christiek
08-15-2010, 04:17 PM
Great story! Kinda funny in a way too. I also liked the finger over the lips and looking around. Sounds like something I would do. Great way to handle it! Hope you enjoy the heels! I wanna see pics!

Claire Cook
08-16-2010, 05:12 AM
Another great story, Kim! I can't wait for the book to come out.

I had a similar experience, but maybe a bit different. Last year I was in Macy's (en drab) and wanted to buy some low heels. So ... when the salesman asked if he could help, I thought what the heck and said I needed a pair of low heels. He looked at me and asked what size, then came out with several pairs. Yes, I tried them on, walked a bit with them and decided on the Easy Spirits. I said "These are really comfortable.". Then he said -- "I know -- I have several pairs!". :battingeyelashes: Sale made!

erickka
08-16-2010, 06:07 AM
You certainly handle direct confrontations well. Maybe one day you can teach me how to do the same!

StephanieC
08-16-2010, 06:47 AM
You are SO blessed.

Angie G
08-16-2010, 08:05 AM
Kimberly love the story hun.:hugs:
Angie

Chari
08-16-2010, 08:32 AM
It is always best to try on everything in the store, but if that is not possible, always ask for a "gift receipt" to get an exchange or refund. Kim, do you have much practice walking in high 5 inchers? Most shoes in your pics look like lower heel styles. My first pair of 5 inch strappy stillettos took awhile to get used to the greater height angle, but it does give a new outlook of things from that height! LOL Thanx for sharing another great adventure. Be safe.

TxKimberly
08-16-2010, 09:48 AM
It is always best to try on everything in the store, but if that is not possible, always ask for a "gift receipt" to get an exchange or refund. Kim, do you have much practice walking in high 5 inchers? Most shoes in your pics look like lower heel styles. My first pair of 5 inch strappy stillettos took awhile to get used to the greater height angle, but it does give a new outlook of things from that height! LOL Thanx for sharing another great adventure. Be safe.

Oh yeah, 5 inch heels are no great problem for me. LOL

Tommie Rae
08-16-2010, 10:47 AM
I have tried on heels in the regular Nordstom shoe department many times. Sometimes I shop en femme and a lot of time in drab. I ask for my size (11 or 12), sit down and try them on, walk around to see how they feel, and either buy them or don't. There are always other women shopping around me and no one cares - or if they do, they are too polite to say anything. The first time was nerve-wracking but now it just seems normal.

Presh GG
08-16-2010, 02:38 PM
The first time Tea and I went shopping for dresses together, I was just fine untill at the last possible moment in line waiting for a room, Tea turned to me and said " now, don't get mad if they give me a bad time... WHAT? This had not even occured to me. So I demanded that I NEEDED my husband with me as I am disabled and I need his help. The SA was only too happy to put us both in the mens disabled dressing room. No problem.
I later asked him why he scared me like that, He said he wanted me prepared to just leave. I don't get that at all. They SELL clothes, We BUY clothes. Sounds like a fair exchange to me.
That was the first of many shopping trips and we've never been ridiculed or turned away. And while I like Tea's opinion, I can dress myself.![ just thought I'd let ya know] We no longer "need" the same room.

All stores must know, money is a good thing.

P.S
I don't get at all, the trying on of clothes just for kicks, never intending to buy anything.

Sincerely,
Presh GG

Jenny Gurl
08-16-2010, 06:08 PM
Remember the old Candid Camera. If they start looking around they are looking for Allen Funt to pop out and say "smile, you're on Candid Camera". I think your sense of humor really carries off your image, kudo's to you. I figure you are breaking them in for me when I finally get the courage to go out shopping en fem. Reminds me of a few weeks ago my S.O. got tired of carrying her purse so I carried it for her over my shoulder like it was mine. A S.A. walking by said something about "Ahhh, that is so considerate carrying her purse". I looked at her with a smile and replied "what makes you think it is hers"? I kept smiling and we kept on walking. My S.O. was giggling as we walked away. I love reading your stories, they brighten my day.

NathalieX66
08-16-2010, 09:04 PM
Best story evar!:clap: