PDA

View Full Version : Wishing I had someone to shop with

Ashleythenewgirl
08-17-2010, 12:26 AM
So here is some more rambling from Ashley....you've been warned!
I am sitting here tonight knowing I have a good life, wonderful family and a fabulous wife.
But....now that I have finally accepted Ashley I'd like to do some things like go shopping or have "girl time". Don't get me wrong, I have made some friends already on this forum and there are some great people here.
And another thing, I am COLOR BLIND! I have no idea how to pick out make up! (it's ok to laugh at this point I am). So having a friend, GG, CD, just that one good friend would REALLY help.
For what that's worth. Anybody else feel that way?

CallMeMeg
08-17-2010, 07:21 AM
I've had women who do my makeup go out shopping with me afterwards. It's not the same, but.... I also have a gg friend who's a community supporter. We've spent the day together (just girl stuff ~ we're both married with children) and I help her with her clothing swaps whenever I can.

I don't know if you go out, but many department stores have "personal shoppers" who will spend some time and, um, personally shop with you. It's their job. Many times there's no charge, but please buy ~ they live on commissions.

Are you sure you're colourblind? I mean, it's pretty rare in women. ;)

Ashleythenewgirl
08-17-2010, 08:32 AM
LOL yes I am very colorblind.....I guess one of those exceptions in women maybe?
I was just feeling....like venting maybe? Not to put a negative spin on it but having a GG friend would be really nice. Thanks Meg this is encouraging! That is interesting about the personal shopper thing. Had no idea!
I still have a long ways to go before I can go out en femme but someday.
Thanks for listening!
Ashley

AKAMichelle
08-17-2010, 08:36 AM
It is a hard thing to be stuck in the house and not able to get out. I am glad that your family accepts you but you do crave some girl time. Maybe you and your wife can take a trip to another town one day and let you out of the cage. :devil:

At least you would have someone who knows colors and a friend to boot. You might choose to go somewhere far enough off not to be recognized. that is one thing wives have a real issue with. Can't blame them since you are in disguise and they aren't.

kimdl93
08-17-2010, 08:47 AM
I know what you mean, Ashley. Its much more fun to shop with someone. Here's my suggestion. When your wife wants to go shopping - make sure you go along, and be as involved as you can. But the first few times out, don't shop for yourself unless she suggests it. Then go have lunch. Make each shopping excursion a special day for both of you.

Ashleythenewgirl
08-17-2010, 10:47 AM
Maybe you and your wife can take a trip to another town one day and let you out of the cage. :devil:

Michelle I would love to- but not going to happen anytime soon. She is accepting of my journey and crossdressing, but made it clear she does not want to go shopping for me with her. It's fine, I don't feel bad about it really as I want her to be comfortable. Maybe someday! :battingeyelashes:
What Kim said is the likely course. What's funny is, I have gone clothes shopping with my wife for years and she never understood how I could go for hours! She thought I was totally bored LOL!

Krysta
08-17-2010, 05:26 PM
Ashley, yeah i'm some kind of color blind myself. not completely but every color has its other color that looks the same to me. i.e. blues and purples forget it. I can understand your frustration. are you completely color blind? the colors printed on the lables of makeup and clothes gets me by. I was using gray eyeshadow as a makeshift blush for a while because i thought it was red, I wouldnt have known until my wife said something. LOL

tricia_uktv
08-17-2010, 06:09 PM
You will never be forgotten and will make friends as you go. So go out and shop and see what happens.

It will amaze you,

Promise,

Hugs

Ashleythenewgirl
08-17-2010, 07:46 PM
Ashley, yeah i'm some kind of color blind myself. not completely but every color has its other color that looks the same to me. i.e. blues and purples forget it. I can understand your frustration. are you completely color blind? the colors printed on the lables of makeup and clothes gets me by. I was using gray eyeshadow as a makeshift blush for a while because i thought it was red, I wouldnt have known until my wife said something. LOL

Krysta- I cannot see purple it's blue, I cannot see brown it's green....sometimes tan looks green. So expect to see me in lots of black....LOL. I do see colors, but when it comes to combining outfits it doesn't always look good. I have memorized which shirts and pants in boy clothing go together.
Thanks Tricia for your support, I'm excited about being on this journey.

Cassandra Lynn
08-17-2010, 09:30 PM
Hey Ash, just need to get my life in order and finally have the money to spend putting the full Cassie together then you and me will lay waste to the entire Treasure Valley shopping scene.

We really should at least get together for a cuppa-joe or lunch sometime. So glad to have someone from just down the road, here on the forums with me. I'll have to start spending more time here now.

See ya soon, Cassie

Ashleythenewgirl
08-17-2010, 09:59 PM
YAY Cassie! Yes let's get together for coffee, lunch, whatever! And watch out cause there is some good shopping in this valley

randumbness
08-17-2010, 11:18 PM
OMG, I've been craving to go shopping this week. Work's made me a dull girl. I wish I could go, but I'm short on flight cash. I do want to go shopping though. So-cal girls?

Haley
08-18-2010, 08:28 AM
It feels awkward going alone and browsing the women's department, I'd love to have a girl to shop with. Sigh.

Ashleythenewgirl
08-18-2010, 09:27 AM
It feels awkward going alone and browsing the women's department, I'd love to have a girl to shop with. Sigh.

Maybe that will go away eventually? I did go shopping yesterday for groceries and threw in some Veet, St Ives and that bikini lotion stuff plus some razors and my wife was not present. There's my daring deed for the day lol!
I know the feeling Randumbness.....

Krysta
08-22-2010, 09:27 PM
Yeah Ashley I think we have the same kind of color blindness, yeah it sucks, my drab clothes are mostly black blue gray and white. some other colors i get confused with are:

pink and gray
red and brown
yellow and green
blue and purple
black and navy blue

green traffic light signals look white to me. I feel your pain girl. here is a thought, if you see something you like i.e. makeup or a cute top or something, try and find its picture online (or take a pic) and post it on the forum, the girls on here will help, im sure, there is alot of good people on here. good luck, i'm sure you could find some gals on here to go shopping with too, just don't ask me what color that cute new skirt is. lol!:D

Ashleythenewgirl
08-22-2010, 11:03 PM
Krysta,
Actually we're about the same! Good idea on the photos of colors and such.
I went to that TAAZ.com the other night and played around. I have no idea if it looked ok or not but it was fun.
Sounds like we need those personal shoppers Meg mentioned.
If things keep going for me the way they are, I might get to shop with the wife someday.

Tina B.
08-24-2010, 11:28 AM
Ashley, for make up have you thought of going to a MAC, or cosmetic counter in a department store that does makeovers, I bet they would help you find the colors that work best for you, and you could right down what goes with what, for reference when making up, The clothes can prove a little harder, but dresses, and black or white shoes for the basic look would be easier, since it's one piece and you don't have to do a lot of matching? I went to school with a guy that was just about totally color blind, and I know what a hassle it was for him. Kids can be mean, and some found it funny to tell him is mother had picked weird colors,and things, just to mess with him. But you need to find away to put them together, you can't just wear black, that would be, being in drab, while crossdressed!
Tina B.

Ashley_Marie
08-24-2010, 11:50 AM
Personally I wouldn't mind going out shopping with someone else period, Man or Woman. I would just like to have someone elses opinion sometimes.

Ashleythenewgirl
08-24-2010, 03:20 PM
Here's an update with good news. I've been emailing with a girl (CD) here in town and she is wonderful. Got me onto a local support group that meets twice a month AND she is willing to go with me to a cosmetics counter at one of the stores to do the analysis etc. This is going to make a big difference. Her big thing is make up so problem solved.
As far as choosing colors for clothes if I can get someone (like her) to help match stuff I can remember which top goes with which skirt etc. But I do so want to get a little black dress someday!
Thanks everyone!
Ashley

Cassandra Lynn
08-24-2010, 04:54 PM
Yay Ash, sounds great, hope you have a great time, please let me know how it goes and where you went so i can have some options when i get to that point.
Atta girl!!!!
mj (Cassie)

Ashleythenewgirl
08-24-2010, 05:50 PM
Will do Cass. It's looking like Dillard's or Macy's- I've been told their cosmetics SAs are quite used to gurls like us stopping in. Should be good and I will be taking pen and paper to copy down what colors I need. Maybe we'll get to go sooner than later Cass....
Ashley