PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite girlie magazine?

Ashleythenewgirl
08-21-2010, 04:09 AM
No not those! I mean Vogue, Glamour and stuff like that. Being a trained researcher, I look for information like fashion, make up and things like that. So today I bought a copy of Glamour. Is it just me or are some of those styles a bit unrealistic? Like one of their "picks" is a handbag for $1,395! Yeah whateva.
So what magazines do you recommend? I want to learn about this in a realistic way and not some silly stuff like those handbags.
Thanks!!
Hugs
Ashley

emilygielen
08-21-2010, 04:23 AM
I subscribed a couple of month ago to American Cheerleader Magazine to receive it at home!

I also like reading Surfeuse which is a French surfing girl magazine.

I bought recently magazines about fashion : BQMagazine because it has gifts... the first ones had a mani/pedicure set and the 2nd one a little pink hair straightener in it!!

Barbara Dugan
08-21-2010, 04:42 AM
My favorite is Latina Magazine:)

RebeccaLynne
08-21-2010, 04:43 AM
Gotta admit, I'm addicted to Cosmo...'tho I just subscribed to Glamour on a can't pass it up deal...

Think I'll check with Ross for a purse, though...I'm a smart shopper! On a budget, y'know...

Ashleythenewgirl
08-21-2010, 04:46 AM
Thanks gurls! This helps. Latina sounds like fun.....
I almost bought Cosmo today what was I thinking?

Kathryn Martin
08-21-2010, 04:49 AM
I enjoy Glamour, Elle and Esquire

Yvonne York
08-21-2010, 05:12 AM
Now that's interesting. That's one side of the feminine me that I have never thought about - must check some mags out.

connie23
08-21-2010, 06:33 AM
I was reading Elle yesterday - fall fashion issue - lots of fun. I agree that some of the clothes are out there but it gives me lots of good ideas and you can find versions of Gucci in Marshalls. I just love the style!
Hugs,
Connie

MsJanessa
08-21-2010, 06:35 AM
Vogue

Rachael502
08-21-2010, 06:35 AM
I subscribe to Cosmopolitan.....Very enjoyable and informative!

Danielle Gee
08-21-2010, 07:40 AM
My favorite womens mag is "Oprah" I think it's full of interesting stories told from a womans viewpoint

My second favorite is a grocery store rag called "Womans World" I buy it for the recipes.

I subscribed to "Cosmo" for years, but decided the older I got the the more it "Creeped" me out

I also enjoy looking as the 20 or more womens clothing catalogs we get every day since making a purchase from "Woman Within" to whom I say "Congratulations!!!.....You not only help cross-dressers nationwide, you're responsible for the destruction of acres of trees":eek::eek::eek:

Danielle

Fab Karen
08-21-2010, 07:53 AM
So today I bought a copy of Glamour. Is it just me or are some of those styles a bit unrealistic? Like one of their "picks" is a handbag for $1,395! Yeah whateva.

The whole idea is it's the magazines' job to push the stuff as "what you need to be fashionable":rolleyes:

PrettyFlowingGown
08-21-2010, 08:02 AM
I love bridal gown magazines. I have hundreds of them, and i cut ut my fave wedding gown photos and put them into frames.

sometimes_miss
08-21-2010, 08:35 AM
I'm in my second 'teen'hood.
+1 on American Cheerleader.
I also subscribe to Seventeen, Cosmo and Glamour. That also gets me free issues of all the catalogs that they send to teenagers too. It's also nice to read the young adult books marketed to teen girls as well. Buy one on amazon and they will suggest all sorts more, and the used ones are often as cheap as 99 cents. Great reading to learn the way girls think. My current favorite is Jennifer Echols. The original? Judy Blume. She wrote half dozen books that many other authors of young adult books quote as having a lot of influence on them. I think one was called "Everything I needed to know about being a girl I learned from Judy Blume". http://www.amazon.com/Everything-Needed-About-Learned-ebook/dp/B000RQ4FSK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&s=digital-text&qid=1282397652&sr=8-1

linnea
08-21-2010, 09:05 AM
REAL SIMPLE and ALL YOU are my favorites; I have subscriptions. I browse in some of the others when I go to the store and stand at the magazine racks, but I think that REAL SIMPLE has wonderful suggestions for real living, including lots that's affordable.

Starr
08-21-2010, 10:55 AM
Glamour is the main magazine I get into... there are others that catch my eye in the rack sometimes but Glamour is perfered.

renee k
08-21-2010, 11:04 AM
cosmo

Maryesther M.
08-21-2010, 11:11 AM
Elle & Cosmopolitan. I also make scapbooks of those photos that turn me on. I enjoy leafing through these.
The pleasure of admiring really well photographed girls and grrls doesn't diminish.

VeronicaMoonlit
08-21-2010, 11:19 AM
Linux Format of course...what...reading good articles about interesting open source software and other Linux-y topics isn't girly? The Linuxchix (http://linuxchix.org/) might have something to say about that. :-p

Ohhhh, you mean fashiony and makeupy magazines, in that case... I subscribe to Allure (and just re-subscribed for another 2 years at 11.97 for the two), regulary read Marie Claire, sometimes pick up a Lucky, read a Glamour now and then and always pick up the September issue of Vogue.

Veronica

Tina B.
08-21-2010, 11:25 AM
Glamor, and don't knock those purses, rip out that picture take it with you and look for knock offs, same goes with the clothes, it's great to see what the top end is doing, then see how well you can put things together to get the look, with out spending the money.
Morning TV, does it all the time.
Tina B.

Ashleythenewgirl
08-21-2010, 11:33 AM
Wow thanks everyone for all the responses. This really helps. Now I have some shopping to do.
I hadn't thought about it in years...but I read Judy Blume books when I was a kid. That brings back some memories. She's a good author.
There was some good info in the Glamour Sept issue I got, especially about Parissa ( think it was that) wax. Good idea about using it to find knock offs.
Hugs!
Ashley

Nikki A.
08-21-2010, 11:43 AM
Road & Track

Inna
08-21-2010, 11:44 AM
Not a magazine but Boston Proper clothing catalog, ladies are stunning and make up is phenomenal, not to mention clothes and shoes:daydreaming: kind of my style!

Sharon B.
08-21-2010, 02:42 PM
I enjoy reading Woman's Health

Fraye
08-21-2010, 04:07 PM
Fashion blogs.

1. They're free
2. Most are updated every few days, daily if you're lucky
3. Most fashion bloggers are people with realistic budgets, very few will be showing you their $3000 Chanel
4. No matter what style you're a fan of, there's someone out there that shares your taste and takes pictures of herself to prove it
5. Many of them share info about accessories, makeup tips, etc. in addition to clothes they happen to like

Weardrobe and Chictopia are good places to start just to get an idea of what's out there, from there you can narrow your choices down. Use Google Reader and presto, your days will be filled with magical fashion.

Kerrie Sifton
08-21-2010, 04:54 PM
i started reading In Style and More, for the tips and ideas of better dressing and fashion and makeup techniques

Bobbie Bee
08-21-2010, 05:50 PM
Guns & Ammo!

prene
08-21-2010, 06:10 PM
Cosmo and Lifestyle.

Cosmo YES

Ashleythenewgirl
08-21-2010, 06:13 PM
That does it I am getting Cosmo from now on. I delved more into my Glamour magazine today and found some good articles...more new experiences.
Bobbie Bee you and I think alike! I love Guns and Ammo.

Cassandra Lynn
08-21-2010, 06:32 PM
Yeah, G&A for this outdoors girl as well, even would like to go shoot sporting clays enfemme someday, then come home and get glamorous for the evening.

The ex found me perusing her women's mags on occassion, didn't think much of it till the dreaded day i was found out and had to come out to her, i made sure she never saw me with them after that. Would of just caused a "situation".

One thing i always like about them is the little perfume samples, or scent adds, i peel them open and place them around the room.
mj (Cassie)

Ashleythenewgirl
08-21-2010, 07:08 PM
Ah Cassie one of these days we must go shooting together en femme.
Skeet would be a lotta fun that way!

becki_babe_uk
08-27-2010, 07:46 AM
I subscribe to Cosmo and More. Though down the years I've had subscriptions to most of the teen girl magazines as well. My faves being CosmoGirl and Sugar.

Dee2U
08-27-2010, 08:08 AM
Women's Health and Self. I get the diet stuff, fashion stories, relationship stuff from a gg 's point of view plus the fitness which is very important to me since I exercise at home....Dee

Shananigans
08-27-2010, 10:41 PM
Two magazines I am addicted to: Mental Floss (not girlie at all but probably the best magazine ever) and Cosmopolitan.

Yeah, I know. Black and white.

I'm addicted to Cosmo confessions though and am always interested in what 99 new sex tips they could have.

They're never new...but, I buy it anyway. Sigh...

lisajane
08-27-2010, 10:46 PM
Cosmo!:daydreaming:

Ashleythenewgirl
08-28-2010, 12:48 AM
Two magazines I am addicted to: Mental Floss (not girlie at all but probably the best magazine ever) and Cosmopolitan.

Yeah, I know. Black and white.

I'm addicted to Cosmo confessions though and am always interested in what 99 new sex tips they could have.

They're never new...but, I buy it anyway. Sigh...

Cool- hadn't really heard much about Mental Floss so I looked it up. Learn something new everyday. And tomorrow I am finally going to get a copy of Cosmo....

gingerli
08-28-2010, 12:58 AM
Bar none: Pageantry

anything/everything to do with beauty pageants

gingerli
08-28-2010, 01:06 AM
As a teen, favorites were True Romance type mags;

always featured cheap wig ads, Lili St. Cyr/Fredericks type enhancing undergarment ads, and frequently, cheap cosmetic collections. On top of that, the stories were interesting, in a bodice-ripping sort of way, and several times a year (in various titles), had crossdressing/transsex as a plot point.....rarely in a positive way, of course!

morgan51
08-28-2010, 09:39 AM
My favorite womens mag is "Oprah" I think it's full of interesting stories told from a womans viewpoint

My second favorite is a grocery store rag called "Womans World" I buy it for the recipes.

I subscribed to "Cosmo" for years, but decided the older I got the the more it "Creeped" me out

I also enjoy looking as the 20 or more womens clothing catalogs we get every day since making a purchase from "Woman Within" to whom I say "Congratulations!!!.....You not only help cross-dressers nationwide, you're responsible for the destruction of acres of trees":eek::eek::eek:

Danielle Agree There are way too many trees dying for junk mail but I do enjoy Opra may have to consider Cosmo I have mixed feelings there. Morgan

Michelle8
08-28-2010, 10:01 AM
I suscribe to cosmo,Glamour,Allure and In Style.I wonder
what my mailman thinks.

Janet Bern
08-28-2010, 10:20 AM
probably Glamour and Allure

Proteus
08-28-2010, 11:28 AM
I picked up a Cosmo not long ago. Boy, are they clueless about how men think! And the fashion, awful, awful, awful! :eek:

I'm a regular reader of a dog magazine, I suppose it's a bit girly with all the cute puppies, but hey, any girl who wants to look in my doggie magazine is my kind of girl.

Julianne
08-28-2010, 07:59 PM
+1 for weardrobe.com and chictopia.com - lots of great tips and fashion ideas. Updated frequently and lots of links.

Jay Cee
08-28-2010, 08:21 PM
Cosmo. I'd read it once or twice a year. No point beyond that - it constantly repeats itself.

Does Reader's Digest count? :)

APRIL0401
08-28-2010, 09:06 PM
I subscribe to LUCKY.

Nicki S
08-29-2010, 01:33 AM
+1 for Allure. They have some great make up tips. Not that I am good at it, but any advice that I can get helps.

Audreyanne
08-29-2010, 07:37 PM
Glamor, and don't knock those purses, rip out that picture take it with you and look for knock offs, same goes with the clothes, it's great to see what the top end is doing, then see how well you can put things together to get the look, with out spending the money.
Morning TV, does it all the time.
Tina B.

Exactly my thinking. I like to browse through the various magaizines - - Vogue, Elle, Harper's Bazaar, Tatler.