PDA

View Full Version : Style & Appearance: Girl vs. Boy Wardrobes?

Stefia S
08-22-2010, 01:18 AM
In stepping back and looking at my boy mode and girl mode wardrobes I realized that although I have similar color strategies, there's not much more in common.

In both wardrobes I basically add color as accents to black, denim or white. For female garb, I tend to pick bold and subtle pastel colors, fine, subtle patterns, contrasting textures and "the right" cuts that emphasize my female shape. For my drab wardrobe, I use bold patterns, bright primary colors and and care much less about cuts and textures, that do not necessarily accentuate my male body.

In short, I think I care more about what I look like en femme than I do in drab, even de-emphasizing my male body in drab. What about others?

I'm curious if anybody takes as much care, or more care about how they appear in drab than en femme?

renee k
08-22-2010, 06:12 AM
I agree, my female wardrobe has alot more color and variety compared to the male side of things. The walk in closet in the master bedroom is all female clothing and the closet in the guest room is all male clothes. That being said my male wardrobe consists of mainly polo's dockers and jeans. My female wardrobe runs the gamit from pants to dresses and skirt suits. Not to mention lots of shoes. I do love the variety that women enjoy in clothing.

Renee

Tina B.
08-22-2010, 09:50 AM
Like Renee, my master bedroom closet is all female, wife on one side, me on the other, my side is filled with Red, hot Pinks, Teal, and all sorts of colors and patterns, from Capri's to evening wear, I love soft full skirts in pastels, and delicate feminine blouses. and have a ton of shoes.
In another room I have a small closet of menswear, a couple pair of Docker type pants, a couple pair of slacks and a hand full of shirts. Browns, black and beige, I do have one purple shirt that was a gift, and some drab blue stuff but thats about it, oh and two pair of shoes, and a pair of tennis shoes.
Tina B.

AKAMichelle
08-22-2010, 10:02 AM
ditto here.

I mostly don't even care what I look like in male mode but I certainly do en femme.

Kathryn Martin
08-22-2010, 10:08 AM
Being a professional I have to conform to dress code when at work. I wear in one word a suit. I have for years now used ties as my accents, hand painted silk, or other intricately woven fabrics. Once I got n trouble with a judge because he didn't think my tie was conservative enough and called me to his chambers to tell me.

As Kathryn I like clothes that accentuate whatever few aspects of femininity I have in my body and minimize those which immediately make me male (i.e. broad shoulders) I also choose pinks, purples and blues, and very feminine cuts.

Maryesther M.
08-22-2010, 10:54 AM
My male wardrobe has suits, blazers, jackets & trousers, Gym & rowing apparel, lots of casual shirts with buttons & collars, Lots of tees & pairs of shorts, shoes: formal, casual and sandles. Underpants & socks, of course.

My female 'wardrobe' is much more covert. A skirt suit, some skating dresses, schoolgirl's tunic/dress and an assymmetric long dress, lots of skirts/kilts, tops & belts, courts, hose, wigs, forms/bra, control panties, bangles & dangles, & lastly all my make-up bits in a nice shoulder bag. All this must be compact & divided into what's hung up under cover with my male suits, and tucked away in a box in our barn attic.

Karinsamatha
08-22-2010, 11:05 AM
My male wardrobe is mostly jeans, and a few "t" shirts for work. My girl wardrobe fills the walk in closet in the master bedroom. And is colorful pinks, fuchsia, and of course some animal prints :devil:. The guest room has my male stuff which is not much at this point.
:hugs:

Susan4
08-22-2010, 11:20 AM
I'm a bit (maybe more than a bit) bigger than I'd like to be.

So, in my case, when it comes to the distaff side of my wardrobe ... it's not just about fashion or colour ... it's about camouflage (smile). I tend to use loose jackets and sweaters to distract; or long sleeves to hide my wrists and shoulders. When I shop, therefore, my waterfall process is ... 1) what do you have that fits? 2) will it look good on me and hide my worst, and enhance my best, features? and 3) given (1) and (2) ... is it stylish and in a colour that's in fashion (and / or that I like)?

I'm also on the tall side ... so I favour long legged pants and jeans. I love the look of high heels under pants.

Having said that ... I try hard to find stuff that meets this criteria and is also fun to wear, fun to feel (as fabric) and just fun period.

As for the male wardrobe. I don't think much about it. The usual ... suits and jackets and slacks for work ... golf shirts and jeans ... for casual. I buy whatever they have on the one or two days a year when I replace old or worn out clothes. It's purely functional.

Great question.

Hugs
Susan