PDA

View Full Version : Nails and painting...

KlaireLarnia
08-27-2010, 12:47 AM
Hi.

Like a lot of people I have to limit certain things I do with regards to my dressing due to work and family reasons. Occasionally I like to paint my nails (and do it as - oddly - a good luck charm when I go away on business). Normally I paint only my toe nails as I can hide these easily thanks to shoes and socks - though I have to go careful at home to remember to keep slippers on in the evening so my child does not see my toes.

I also sometimes paint my fingers with clear base and top coat. This lets me have the feel of them being painted without them sticking out and being noticeable at home or work (I work in a small office of 15 women and 1 other man).

Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone else paints their finger nails at all and if so what sort of reaction they have had? Are there more skin tone colours out there rather the normal colours and shades you see and if so, do they blend in with your fingers very well?

Just wondering what others do as I would like to paint my finger nails some times, but am wary in case I get an adverse reaction to it if someone notices (which they will at some point).

Thanks
Klaire

lil red
08-27-2010, 06:32 AM
Last year I was still driving a dump truck and had my nails painted (bright colors, anything went) 24/7. Oddly enough since I worked for my father, he was the only one who had a problem with it. Everyone that I worked with didn't care at all and even commented how nice my nails looked from time to time. Most of the women asked where I got them done (did them myself). When I went to the store for something I would get an occasional double take but thought that was funny. Now that I work for an orchard owned buy a VERY conservative person and work with some very conservative people (including my mother in-law!) I haven't even put clear on my fingers, but my toes are 24/7 yet. As far as colors that you can put on your nails that are not very noticable, there are many, you just need to try them. OPI makes one that I cannot find the bottle that I have so I can give you the name, that if you put one coat on you will be the only one that knows it is there. I am sure there are many more out there and the key is to only put one coat of these on as the more you put on, the more noticable they get even if they are more skin toned. Sorry for the long reply!

DonnaT
08-27-2010, 02:00 PM
I've worn a light color that no one seems to have noticed, and worn darker colors that were easily seen. I've not had any bad reactions to either.

One time, while writing a check for an SA, one guy in line moved forward and around others just to get a closer look. My wife thought that was quite funny.

Sarah 777
08-27-2010, 03:43 PM
I've been painting my finger nails with a base coat for some time now and if anyone has noticed they've never commented. I have three youngish children and even they've never remarked on it. I've used Collection 2000 base coat for most of the time but I've moved on to OPI Nail Envy which gets very good reviews elsewhere on here.

As for toes, I love having mine painted! During the winter months its easy for the reasons you've said, but I like to wear flip flops and sandals whenever the weather is good. At the moment I've got two coats of french manicure pink on my toes, and although this is shiny its quite discreet and looks very good. I've also tried Rimmel Ash Rose and Maybelline Flesh which are a bit more "stand out". During the winter months though anything goes! I'm determined to be braver next summer though, and wear my sandals with stronger colours!

Sarah x

Naomi Rayne
08-27-2010, 06:53 PM
Hey. I paint my toes always in whatever colors i want because as you said they are easily able to be hidden.

As for my fingernails i did the whole clear thing for a while and that was great but eventually became unsatisfactory. So i did my own french manicure and went through life with my nails done. I worked hung out with friends and everything. For the 2 or 3 weeks that i had them done i only got one sort of ruder comment about them but it wasent even outright rude so it didnt bother me.

Then i found this great sheer nail tone polish which i did a review on here

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137870

ColleenW
08-27-2010, 07:07 PM
I generally have my nails painted a light pink and I sometimes use a translucent lavender. I do use a topcoat by Orly called Nails for Males that has a more matte finish.

Angiemead12
08-27-2010, 07:32 PM
Been doing this for the past month, women seem to notice my hands have a nude pearl polish, men dont really see it! But they do notice my purple toes when I wear slippers!

sissystephanie
08-27-2010, 09:07 PM
I have been getting both finger and toe nails done every two weeks for years! My fingers are always a shade of pink, and my toes can be almost any color as long as it is bright! But then I am a widower and live alone. My children and grandchildren know that I am a crossdresser and don't care! I am in sales (self employed) so do use my hands a lot. People pay more attention when my nails look good!

rickibarr
08-27-2010, 09:13 PM
My toenails are always black for years now. My fingernails though are either clear, a very light beige or very light pink as my wife doesn't want them obvious in any way. They do get a glossy top coat though which she is fine with.

lauriejean
08-27-2010, 09:26 PM
I like to keep my toenails done all the time. I think it looks great, and it is part of the fun femme ritual. I only do my fingernails when I have a couple of days as a woman.

kaitlin
08-27-2010, 09:46 PM
I try to do my finger nails a few times a month, mostly on weekends, and mostly in light colors! I enjoy the pinks, golds, browns etc. I tried to keep them done in clear all the time in between, but I was working in the automotive world and grease doesn't mix well with polish! As for my toes, they are done 24/7/365, and always the same color as my wifes!!:love: We enjoy the reds and bright colors. We found the neon colors, by "sinful colors" and enjoyed them this summer as well!