PDA

View Full Version : The most embassing item you have bought.

KlaireLarnia
08-27-2010, 12:56 AM
Has anyone every bought something and felt amazing self conscious or embarrassed when they did? Or is there any type of item you prefer to get online rather than in person to avoid feeling uneasy over buying?

I used to get very nervous about buying underwear in shops. Trying to almost sneak in and get it. Nowadays I am not as bothered - though I do try and go into the shop that sells the stuff I like when it it should be near empty to make my life a little easier.

Anything else I am totally fine with (be it dresses, shoes, tops, etc), just underwear that causes me an issue for some reason.

Klaire

Loni
08-27-2010, 01:24 AM
for me it would be rings and such.

Babeba
08-27-2010, 01:28 AM
Klaire,

If it makes you feel better, I was super embarrassed at buying bras when I first started needing them! I didn't even want to stand in the section of the department store where they were kept in case one of my friends from school walked by, let alone going to a specialty underwear store.

Imogen_Mann
08-27-2010, 01:58 AM
I used to get very embarrassed buying hair remover cream (veet in this instance) for no particular reason. The trolley full of shopping including undies, female clothes in what is obviously my size and makeup was only a problem the first couple of times... But the veet, I still have a pang of awkwardness when it's bleeps through the checkout.

longdog
08-27-2010, 03:02 AM
I bought a mans thong at a department store once.... Really made me embarrassed...

Ordered a womens one piece swimsuit online and messed up my credit card info and had to call in and fix it and repeat the order and all my info to a live person at the shop. Kinda embarrassing...

I haven't bought womens clothes or underwear in person yet, I can't do it. I worry that ill run into someone I know or people will think im weird.

I bought some mens bikini briefs at Target once and an older lady, had this giant grin on her face and looked at me strangely and said "Now come back now you hear" and kinda stared at me... That kinda freaked me out. I really wanna know what she was thinking...

prene
08-27-2010, 03:41 AM
Have not really been embarassed anymore.

I use to when I was buying bras and panties.

RachelDenise
08-27-2010, 04:45 AM
I'm not so much embarassed about buying women's clothes, lingerie and other things, but I am very nervous about being recognized. This closet is deep and dark. I wish I could get rid of it!

erickka
08-27-2010, 05:52 AM
I used to feel awkward buying bras and panties, but now I just shop like any other girl does.

Christy_M
08-27-2010, 09:17 AM
Probably the most embarassing item has been a purchase of cincher, garter and nylons at "The Broadway" when I was 20 years old. The name of the store should be an indication of how long ago that was...

EllieOPKS
08-27-2010, 09:41 AM
I was petrified at buying panties and such until I was in a Walmart that had a self check out. I had other items that I scanned and it worked out great. I finally got up enough guts to take some panties and hose (along with a few other grocery items) to a check out stand where a lady was working. I braced for being questioned and to my pleasant surprise she didn't even look up.

Since then, I have gone to major department stores and bought whatever I want, but I am careful to select a check out with a mature lady cashier.

Chickhe
08-27-2010, 10:43 AM
Its gotta be makeup or underwear at first. But, not so much any more since I just don't care so much... actually it works better if you just openly buy the stuff as if you were buying lumber at home depot.

Tracy X Cruz
08-27-2010, 10:58 AM
My bra.... definitely the bra... I had very little problem with the skirts and blouses and "clothes" but when me and the Girlfriend(SO) went she had to do most of the work as I was very very very embarrassed. Even buying a frilly laced slip was some how easier then the bra for me.

suchacutie
08-27-2010, 11:07 AM
There are somethings you just can't do online, and one of them is to get your foundation matched to your skin color properly.

So, one day I decided to do it and walked up to the MAC counter in the Saks store in downtown New Orleans and said that I need some concealer, foundatoin and powder matched to my skin color. There was a definite adrenoline rush, and the positive response of the two young women was wonderful!

It comes down to this: If you are embarassed then "they" are in control. If you take control and stand your ground, the embarassment turns into a very positive energy IMHO.

tina

AKAMichelle
08-27-2010, 11:14 AM
I would have to say panties when I was 17 years old in male mode.

AllieSF
08-27-2010, 12:45 PM
That first box of condoms! It still bothers me sometimes when I am checking out with other people around me. I can buy anything femme and not worry a bit about it. Go figure!

PinkHighHeels<3
08-27-2010, 01:59 PM
I used to get quite embarrassed when buying lingre and heels but now I do almost all of my shopping online, free of embarrassment.

Gillian
08-27-2010, 02:01 PM
Wigs! these can cause me considerable embarassment buying them

Jenniferca
08-27-2010, 02:30 PM
I really don't get embarrased buying anything anymore. I shop dressed 85% of the time at stores that I have my favorite SA's and it's a fun experience compared to what it used to be.

I can buy anything but I'll admit if the store is busy and you have to stand in line with your purchase to pay for it; well, I get a little ansy then. The older you get the easier it gets.

I was in a adult toy store a few months ago and saw a very large cake pan shaped like a man's penis and balls. I took the pan to the SA and said, "I'm not too good at baking cakes, do you think if I took this over to Walmart's bakery they would bake me a cake in it?" She laughed and said, "I don't know, but could I go along with you so I could see her face when you asked?"

Petra.Briar
08-27-2010, 02:36 PM
For me it is being seen by someone I know. I usually go to stores that are 15-20 miles away from where I live to shop. Once I have been in the store a while the anxiety goes away, then I get that free feeling and enjoy buying any women's clothing. The first time I tried women's clothes on I got a bit nervous but found it is more about me being nervous than the SA or other customers.

Stefia S
08-27-2010, 02:46 PM
I was at a Payless Shoe store, en femme, and was paying the sales person for shoes - he had helped me for about 10 minutes. He asked me for my phone number. He must have seen my male name come up, perhaps with a list of my prior purchases online. The clerk did a double take of me and said "oh...oh...I see......thank you". I left embarassed but also proud that I'd passed (up until that moment).

rachael j.
08-27-2010, 02:56 PM
How about going through the checkout line of your favorite grocery store with a box of tampons or maxipads? :o

NathalieX66
08-27-2010, 03:06 PM
I'm not embarrassed to buy anything....nothing! I thoroughly enjoy walking up to the register at Victoria' Secret, with bra & panties in hand and no one cares. Trust me :shades:

The only time I had a wierd incidence was at Nordstroms when a I bough a frilly ruffly cotton nightgown, and the senior SA at the register kept giving me a dirty look.....stupid old bird.

Moral of the story: Sales attendants and store clients don't care what's in your arms, Just buy it!:)

suchacutie
08-27-2010, 03:07 PM
Rachael's post above made me think: I often do grocery shopping and will have personal hygiene products for women in my cart, and they aren't for me.

Does that embarass us, or is it only when it's for us and people might wonder? Is this a psychological issue for us only?

tina

Barbara Jo
08-27-2010, 03:17 PM
Believe it or not I still remember the embarrassment I felt when I bought a jock strap when in JR high school.

This was at a time when I was buying. panties, bras, etc and I did not feel embarrrassed at all about that.

neworleanssusan
08-27-2010, 03:36 PM
I was at Catherine's the other day buying panties. I gave the girl the lame excuse I was buying them as a present for my wife, but duh.... who goes to Catherine's to buy a pair of extra large granny-panties for their wife.... yeah... I doubt strongly she believed me.

On the other hand, they were SUPER comfortable.

amots49
08-27-2010, 03:44 PM
i can buy panties, and bras, but i still get really embarassed to by shoes at a store, i don't know why

briefing0007
08-27-2010, 03:53 PM
Panties were the first item I ever bought. I would walk around the women's section waiting for it to clear out. I would always buy manly things too for my cart. Nowdays nothing really bothers me.:daydreaming:

ringedjohn
08-27-2010, 04:05 PM
The most embarrassing purchases were shoes and bras - but now I do not give a damn.

Jodygurl
08-27-2010, 05:04 PM
No real embarrasment I can recall but I did have my check card misappropriated last year (Visa called me about it at 8 AM on Sunday) so I had to go thru all that cancellation stuff. They have a person that calls to go over the other charges so that they can try to track down where the theft came from. She read over some names of companies I'd done business w/, all male type purchases i.e. Rockler Woodworking, Porter Cable, and then, "there are some charges here from Victoria's Secret, are you sure those are yours?"

It gave me great pride to say, "Oh, yes, I love their stuff and buy a lot there."

Ain't it grand?

vicky00x
08-28-2010, 02:10 AM
I have bought all my girls clothes online. And it's building up quite a bit! Maybe one day I'll be brave but I'm quite happy. And it is nice having a new dress/shoes arrive at the door.

eluuzion
08-28-2010, 02:31 AM
I used to be uncomfortable buying hose in person when I was standing at the register in shorts with totally shaved legs.

Since I just waxed off my entire eyebrows on a whim, I am pretty nervous about buying anything in person, even wearing a hat (which I always do anyway). I feel like my zipper is down or something, hehehe. Reminds me of the good ole' days of getting back to the car after a purchase and trying to grasp the realization that I actually found the nerve to buy something...

I have other examples, but if I shared them, I would have to kill you...:heehee:

:love:

BaliGirl
08-28-2010, 04:30 AM
Since I just waxed off my entire eyebrows on a whim, I am pretty nervous about buying anything in person, even wearing a hat (which I always do anyway).

You could always pretend that you accidentally burned them off :).

Seriously, I remember when my father lost most of his eyebrows lighting the fireplace. And the Mythbusters television show often shows the clip where one of the hosts completely lost one of his eyebrows in a flash fire.

linda allen
08-28-2010, 08:08 AM
I would buy things on-line but most likely my wife would be home when they arrived.

I haven't gotten up the nerve to buy anything in person except at a costume shop near halloween and their stuff is pretty much junk.

I'm thinking about Walmart, but you still have to stand there and pick out what you want and there's a person monitoring the self check out lanes. If I do it, I'll drive to the next town.

I really need a wig.

Sarah Doepner
08-28-2010, 09:45 AM
It was a corset, a black one. I had been buying things in stores for years and had a full wardrobe, all my padding, forms, wigs and makeup already. But one day I stopped in a "speciality" store to see what they had and found the rack of corsets. I wandered around looking at the adult toys, books, clothing etc. and went back to the corsets again. I picked out the one I thought would fit me and took it to the counter.

The clerk asked if I wanted to try it on first.

It stopped me dead in my tracks and I felt like I did the first time I bought a bra. No, I felt worse because I thought I was over this kind of anxiety. I declined to try it on but bought it anyway. (It does fit, but I could have gone with the next size up). Next time I'm in that situation I'm going to the fitting room.

Janet Bern
08-28-2010, 10:31 AM
I guess it was the first time I called a shop to purchase silicone breast forms and got an appointment. The lady tried them on me and I bought them.
Since then I have come to realize that there are so many of us around that the SAs in any store are used to us so the lame excuse "for my wife" is really lame. Trust me just tell the SA that its for you. You will be surprised at what a nice reception you will get. When they say "anything else I can help you with" and you tell her that you have looked at skirts or something they will probably let you try on the outfits, lets chat..Janet

connie23
08-28-2010, 10:55 AM
Hi,
The first time I bought a pair of size 11 thigh high boots I felt really embarrassed probably because they were kind of cheap. Now, I am shopping for fashion and I feel like I deserve to be shopping even in drab. Last time, I bought a pair of over the knee boots at Nordstroms and I even tried them on. The SA was really nice and said "come back any time". Just feel like you deserve to be shopping for stuff and it will feel better.'
Hugs,
Connie

APRIL0401
08-28-2010, 09:24 PM
I feel uneasy when buying makeup.

TS_Denice
08-29-2010, 01:26 AM
I think it was my first large purchase of makeup. This was back in 1980 when I was 15 years old. We used to get Jet & Ebony magazine. Fashion Fair cosmetics was heavily advertised in them since they owned the cosmetic line. We would also get a notice in the mail whenever they had a bonus gift with purchase at a department store. The notice had most of their line listed inside because you could order by mail and also receive the gwp. Well, I couldn't order anything and have it sent to the house. So, I made a list of items I wanted and went to Gimbels Department store. I was extremely nervous and walked around the store for awhile. I waited until no customers were at the counter and went up there. I told the SA that my sister sent me to pick up the items on the list I had written out. There were 9 items. A kind of starter kit for me. There was foundation, powder, a multi eye shadow compact, 2 lipsticks, lip gloss, 2 lip pencils, and blush. I believe it came to about $50. That was a lot of money to me but I had saved money from by birthday. The sales associate wrote a note to "my sister" on the back of the list I'd given to her. She told her that they were having a special the next month and to please come in. I've never bought that much at one time in person since. It was an adventure. My fear to this day is that someone I know will see me making a purchase of any fem product. Today I mostly buy online. However, earlier this year I did go to the cosmetic counter for foundation...with my list.

sometimes_miss
08-29-2010, 11:18 PM
How about going through the checkout line of your favorite grocery store with a box of tampons or maxipads? :o

NO biggie, I think people at the market have seen plenty of guys sent to buy personal hygiene stuff for their mates. My first purchase in a store of female clothing was when I was I think 26, in Macy's NYC store. While I was nervous as hell, it seemed no one thought it odd that I was buying bras and panties. UNTIL...I had bought 2 different size bras. The wonderful sales girl brought it to my attention, I must have turned beet red when she asked me what size I was. Trying to act as normal as possible, I just said I was buying from a list and assumed manufacturers sizes varied so it was probably fine. But she saw right through me; said Uhhhh, O.K., and continued to ring up the rest of my haul.
The next and last time was about a year later, in another Macy's, up in the suburbs. This time, a nice lady (not working in the store) tried to help me pick out matching underwear sets, and even told me where I could get a nice powder blue slip at another store in my size that went with my bra and panty set. That was the last time I bought anything in a store. All online since then.

Cary
08-29-2010, 11:50 PM
I'm not nervous about buying women's things anymore. It's being seen buying women's things by someone I know(I still in the closet).

CCole
08-30-2010, 09:44 AM
Here's the most recent experience for me. Victoria's Secret was having their Semi-Annual Sale and I went for some new panties.

First I was going through one of the sale bins and looked over and made eye contact with a girl I used to know in High School. (graduated in 2002). I was thinking oh please don't make a scene, please don't make a scene. Luckily she brushed it off and didn't say anything.

Then, when I was paying, the girl at the register started ringing up the panties and looked at me and said I don't think these will fit you in a joking way and I almost said I bet you they will LOL. I hope I didn't turn as bright red as I felt I did.

Oh, they all did fit so I showed her! LOL

Sarasometimes
08-30-2010, 10:59 AM
A few come to mind. The Chic Shaper I think is tops on my list. I was enmale and a young female was my cashier. Not many wives would ask thier husband to buy that for them. Foundation and eyeshadows, nail polish and press on nails are others.
The two times I have had comments made about what I was buying were when I was truly shopping for my wife. I am pretty good at buying her dresses, skirts, tops shoes and even handbags. Well she asked me to just try and find a swimsuit off the clearance rack in her size. I found two and got really odd looks from the other, all female customers as I looked through the racks. At the cashier, she said "Oh giving a one piece suit a try, i see?" Now should could have meant it 2 ways but still.
The other time was buying a handbag (which she ultimately loved). The cashier said "Wow, I wouldn't think that style would work as a men's messenger." She was right it was a satchel type with cute stitching. my reply was "I agree."

5150 Girl
08-30-2010, 11:22 AM
Well, all my first girly puchaces were kind of akward, untill I realised that #1, cashires are to busy to notice or care what a stranger is buying, and #2 I came to figgure that most folks would figgure I was buying for a wife/girlfrind/ or possibly a sister.

now a days I feel more akward buying drab things

aliceeliot
08-30-2010, 03:31 PM
I have no problem buying anything (apart from wigs) - and I've had plenty of the 'I'm sure it will fit you beautifully / hmmm, just your colour' comments when buying lingerie, normally from georgous young SA's. But the only really embarrassing time was when I bought a waist cincher from La Senza. the SA was young, pretty and charming, and the look in her eye clearly said 'I know it's for you'.

I'm normally pretty outgoing when buying this sort of thing, I've got a response to all comments, but all I could do was mumble 'thank you', give her a wink, and make my exit as quickly as possible.

Ruth
08-30-2010, 03:36 PM
I'm OK with buying outerwear, underwear or makeup in drab, though I do often shop en femme as well. I don't think I could go into a shop and buy breast forms though - it just seems weird. I got both my sets online.

cdterri
08-30-2010, 03:44 PM
At age 12 I came across foam breast enhancers in a dept. store.It was 1959 and I lived in a very smalll town. But I wanted them so badly I wrote a note requesting them and signed My mothers name. The sales lady was a friend of my mother and questioned me for what seemed like an hour but finally sold them to me. Never did hear anything about it but I was terrified for weeks and could not look the sales lady in the eyes ever again.

LoriFlores
08-30-2010, 03:53 PM

These are about the only items that I'm a little uneasy about purchasing. Not so much the cashier (they treat it like any other purchase) but more so the other shoppers in line behind me looking over my shoulder... But more and more I've just have gotten used to buying my girl things and pay no attention to what others may or may not be thinking.

silkihose
08-30-2010, 09:08 PM
Shoes and makeup for me

Gretchenivy
08-30-2010, 09:51 PM
sounds a little silly, but i actually enjoy a little embarrassment when shopping. it's adds to an already thrilling experience.

the most embarrassing was perhaps the first time i bought a bra. there's no reason for a man to buy a bra unless he's going to wear it. and that first time is always the most difficult to get over. i felt like everyone was looking at me.

or, there's the time i bought a single pair of panties at Victoria's Secret. if i'm buying several pair or if i'm buying several items, it's quite plausible i could be buying a gift for a wife or gf, but one pair of panties? nope. the attractive middle aged woman who checked me out new instantly, my voice was constricted, and i'm sure i was blushing. it was so obvious.

then, there was a recent MAC makeup salon. very upscale. a young man at the door waiting for his gf was totally wide eyed that i was in there looking around. inside the place was full of fantastic looking well dressed women. i asked about full coverage foundation, and the very helpful sales rep smiled knowingly. even though she was wonderful at setting me at ease, it was still embarrassing.

i'm getting over it as time passes, but i'll never totally be stress free shopping for my girly things. at least i hope not!

gretchen

Pattie O
08-31-2010, 03:55 AM
Yes,I am a bit shy buying make up.I find that I am overwhelmed with choice so I am trying to look,listen,read and learn and then purchase.Really want to get proper advice on make up so looking forward to this.

HairyBethCD
08-31-2010, 04:26 AM
I'm fine buying pretty much anything except shoes. I always figure they think I might have a wife the same size (I tend to fit a UK 12 on the bottom half and 14-16 on the top) but buying big shoes seems a bit of a giveaway!

Sara74
09-07-2010, 06:32 PM
I remember one day I was in Target just getting the usual stuff I needed for around the house and toiletries. I found myself walking by the cosmetics area and saw a lone box of my fav french tip nails hanging there. THE LAST ONE!!! OMG I had to act quickly, but not to cause a scene! I can almost see the laughter if there was someone watching the security cams as a man dashing down a cosmetics aisle to grab the last box of nails! LOL Too much! But that wasn't the worst part...I get to the counter, all happy now and excited that I have something to look forward to when I get home, I quickly realized what I had gone shopping for as I emptied my cart onto the check-out counter. Paper towels, toilet paper, shampoo (Pantene's beautiful lengths which is a pink bottle by the way) a shower poofie, razors, shaving cream....and the nails. I felt my face instantly go beet red!!! I was screwed- there was no turning back at that point and there were 3 people behind me to boot! Needless to say I got the hell out of there as fast as I could! LOL

Lesson to be learned ladies...ALWAYS have a shopping list in your hands and never put it in your pocket! You will have an impulsive moment like this and forget what you have already grabbed!

tricia_uktv
09-07-2010, 08:10 PM
OMG so many times in the early stages. I remember agreeing to go with some t-girls for Christmas as a fairy, we were going to be faries together. I had to go into a specialist shop as a bloke and ask. They were most concerned about the size of my wings. I had to try my outfit on but daren't go out and show them. Sooo embarassing.

But today I wouldn't care before I would always be dressed as a girl before I walked in.

Doesn't life change.

I will never look like that again :)

BLUE ORCHID
09-07-2010, 09:24 PM
Hi Klaire
The only thing that bothered me was buying feminine products for my wife.
I'm sure they didn't think they were for me.

Orchid

Mistybtm
09-07-2010, 09:31 PM
I do all my girl shopping online except for lotions and bathroom items. :o

Ashley Helen
09-07-2010, 11:34 PM
Shoes! I have never been out dressed and could never try shoes on, heels or lower, while in male mode.

marny
09-07-2010, 11:40 PM
The first time I bought a bra at a department store the lady at the cash took it out of the box to inspect it. She turned to me and said " you wouldn't believe how they take them out and put them back in the wrong boxes! She didn't ask if it was for me , but if she knew , I sure appreciated the way she went about it. Nice way to start the journey.

faltenrock
09-08-2010, 02:47 AM
I did something of which I thought I would be embarrassed, but I was not at all since I don't really care anymore. I went to a wig store in Santa Ana this February. I was wearing a black ruffle mini skirt - a full femme outfit and my worn out red wig. I actually wanted to buy a new one. You won't believe it, I've spend about an hour in the store and felt like a woman. No one said a word, the SA was great and caring about my new wig. I ended up buying one and a brush. Since then, I know I can go any place and won't have a problem at all.

Tranny Tee
09-08-2010, 03:42 AM
I remember the sheer terror of my first purchases and then the extreme embarrassment as I got older. Now I only experience pleasure, even if the bra I'm buying has no price tag and the cashier calls over the PA asking for a price check.

Danni Bear
09-08-2010, 04:01 AM
This may strike most as funny. Over many years buying fem garments i,ve never been embarassed. Now get me in a grocery store buying comfort food is another story. The looks some cashiers get when you indulge in (forbidden)treats can make you want to put them back.

Danni

Tina B.
09-08-2010, 08:27 AM
I used to find it all embarrassing, but after I learned to shop I bought dress, skirts, and blouses on any whim. Even bras and panties where not that hard to buy, but then I wanted a waist cincher, I went to a large department store, prowled the foundations section along with about 6 other shoppers, with no problem, then I found it. They had a waist chincher and it was the right size. My hand didn't seem to want to grasp it, but I got my nerves of steel and grabbed it and got in a long line at the register, filled with middle aged women. And at the head of the line stood this middle aged Latina woman ringing it all up. It seemed that line took for ever to move forward, with me trying to keep what I'm holding out of sight. My nerves started to give way by the time I made the head of the line, but before I could figure out how to get out of there with my dignity in tack, I found myself at the head of the line. The SA gave me a hard look of disapproval, I thought I would just die, right there on the spot. But I didn't, I got mad, how dare her look at me like that. I put that chincher on the counter and looked her right in the eye, and said how much, she rang it up and I payed, Then I think I walked out of there, but I'm not sure, I don't think my feet touched the floor, I was on cloud 9, and I've never had much trouble buying anything since.
Tina B.

kimdl93
09-08-2010, 09:43 AM
The first time I bought stay-up stockings was probably my most embarrassing moment, although it need not have been. When I brought several pair of queen size to the cashier, she first checked the size and asked if I was sure I had the right ones...I guess presuming they might have been for my wife. When I said, no that's the right size, she smiled and asked me to wait just a second. She returned from the stock room with an opened package of queen size garter stockings (with the belt attached) and asked if I'd want them, because they could not sell hosiery once the package was opened. Of course, I accepted immediately and any feelings of embarrassment vanished.

tanyalynn51
09-08-2010, 12:09 PM
Buying a beautiful dress at Goodwill- the cashier told me it would look beautiful on me- with a line full of people there!

DeeDee1974
09-08-2010, 02:03 PM
It was a sexy female cop uniform with a short skirt and matching panties. Not so much the outfit, but the situation.

The package said one size fits most. So I asked the female SA (who was as masculine as I am feminine) what exactly most meant. She said whAT size is she? And I then explained it was for me, and she was nice and said bc of my height I might want to try the plus size. She was right.

Tina Leigh
11-03-2010, 11:47 AM
Oh would have been when I was pretty new and I finaly bought a dress at retail rather than used. As I checked out the young female clerk said" this would go good with your eyes." Melt me to the floor. Pay and run was about all I could do besides an oh!. Now I would probably start a conversation. Tina

Tina Leigh
11-03-2010, 11:50 AM
Oh that one I have done. see the look on the girls faces when the round the corner and I have the 3 inch heels on and walk by to test them out. Most either ignor me or turn and go elsewhere.
Tina

Rita C.
11-03-2010, 12:18 PM
We all go through that stag. But I the last 2 or 3 years, I have got to the point that I don't give a damn any more. I'm not going to let the emarrassment stop me from bing how I am. Just be your self. I love to shop for bras, and have about 4 shops here in my home town that when I go in thay always let me us the dressing. I fact, Walmart here let me us the dressing room, and while i am trying on some the SA that knows me goes and finds me some new styles. I just got a new bra from Bealls that fits me to a T (42c) Come girls be proud of your self.

jenna_woods
11-03-2010, 12:27 PM
I used to be embarrased wen buying panties and bta's in women's stores but now I really enjoy doing it.

JessiRed
11-03-2010, 02:54 PM
I've always been embarassed to buy male clothes.

sissystephanie
11-03-2010, 03:12 PM
Have bought female things for myself for over 60 years, and don't remember ever being embarrassed about it. Maybe it is memory loss, but I don't think so. I still shop a lot (don't most of us CD's?) and usually tell the SA the items are for myself! They are, so why lie about it? Never have had any problem is any store, other than maybe having to go to the men's department to try on a dress! Been there, done that! A lot of SA's in the Atlanta area know me by sight and know that I am a CD! They take care of me!!

Karren H
11-03-2010, 05:33 PM
Hair color for MEN! I can buy bras and lingerie at Victoria Secrets and fem clothing any where I want to and makeup and jewelry and shoes but when I went to buy Male Hair Color a wave of embarasement came over like I have never felt..... like my male side was so vain.... Lucky for my I had no issues buying women's hair color so I switched to Preference by L'oreal (beacuse I'm worth it... :D) and now everythings good!!

TabbyJames
11-03-2010, 11:02 PM
it was definatly make-up and only because the SA. Walked into Ulta one day wanting to find a foundation and primer that would work for me, the SA said in a very sarcastic and snide voice, "this really isn't for you is it?"

Needless to say, I turned bright purple, said sorry and made a bee-line out the door. Not long after, went to Sephora and had a wonderful time with the SA playing with all kinds of stuff.

Hayley Comets
11-04-2010, 03:11 AM
Mine was in a Nike store when I was 17, I wanted to get a sports bra and a pair of shorts. Well the shorts were teenie so I was deciding between the S and the M. The salesgirl then approaches me and just casually said the M would fit you better. To which I jumped and she just went "Oh my.. they really are for you." Well I was practically a deer in the spotlight with my other hand holding the matching sports bra.

She corrected my size for the top while I queued at the counter. That was the longest wait ever and all eyes were on me.

As for specific items, I still do blush when I get lip gloss

sandra-leigh
11-04-2010, 03:55 AM
I'm not certain, but I think the first time I asked for a professional bra fitting might have been my most embarrassing. Even now I find asking for a bra fitting to be a bit embarrassing, but I'm fine asking to try on bras.

Also embarrassing: my first time trying on women's swimwear in a swimwear store. I'd been fine trying on some by myself in a department store, but in the swimwear store they were actually paying attention to me and I was asking their advice about what would make me look good. I wasn't just satisfied with "pretty color and covers me up decently" either -- I kept looking until I found a one-piece that gave me distinct shapely behind, so it was pretty clear that I wasn't just (e.g.) shopping there for a "bet" nor just to buy something "female": that I was hoping to find something that made my body look "sexy". That aspect embarrasses me -- to be shopping for something "sexy".

RachelPortugal
11-04-2010, 04:54 AM
I was petrified at buying panties and such until I was in a Walmart that had a self check out. I had other items that I scanned and it worked out great. I finally got up enough guts to take some panties and hose (along with a few other grocery items) to a check out stand where a lady was working. I braced for being questioned and to my pleasant surprise she didn't even look up.

Since then, I have gone to major department stores and bought whatever I want, but I am careful to select a check out with a mature lady cashier.

Then, just as you reach the head of the line, she apologises that she is about to go on a break and hands over to a spotty young lad. LOL

texasm31
11-04-2010, 07:57 AM
Then, just as you reach the head of the line, she apologises that she is about to go on a break and hands over to a spotty young lad. LOL

LOL. So true. I was in Gap Body looking at panties and just as I picked a few out and was about to ask about some bras, the SA (who had not been helping) radioed to the another SA and asked if someone could cover for her for a few as she needed to use the rest room. So a young male comes over from the regular Gap. I bought the panties anyway, but just could not ask about the bras.

marika_jaye
11-04-2010, 09:55 AM
Out of town one day at the local Goodwill store, I was at the checkout with a very pretty sweater dress, when one cashier remarked to the other, "Aw, I was going to buy that dress for myself." Since I was out of town, I had a little fun with her and said "I'll put it to good use, I promise!"

If she only knew how embarrassed I was...

Another time, at a Shopko store, I brought 2 pair of pumps to the checkout. The cashier thought she was being clever when she asked me if I was sure they'd fit me. I was embarrassed, but I just went with the flow and told her they would, pointing out that I've worn that size for years...

...and then there was the time I went to Goodwill and bought a lacy full slip, realizing at the same time as the cashier that I was wearing a jacket with my (male) name embroidered on it....she made sure to use my name and wished me a pleasant day...I was speechless!

Stephanie Anne
11-04-2010, 10:07 AM
I had these rashes under my armpits once and bought some lotrimin. I was so embarrassed at the check out counter thinking "he knows I have a pit rash". Turned out to be an allergic reaction to a new deodorant I was trying.

Cristi
11-04-2010, 10:09 AM
For me it was one specific shopping trip. The store was having a great sale on pantyhose, so I picked up about 10 pair and headed to the checkout.
I was already at the register and placing everything on the counter when I realized the woman working the register was an old childhood friend who I hadn't seen in quite a while, but she did know my wife and we still have a lot of mutual friends.
I don't know what she thought of me stocking up on 2X pantyhose, since she knew my petite wife... and I'll never know if I was the topic of discussion later on, but at least she didn't ask any embarrassing questions right then!

Christie ann
11-04-2010, 12:27 PM
I think it was that time I had to purchase some Preparation H

Ozark
11-04-2010, 01:17 PM
There used to be a Shadowline store at the red roof mall in Branson, MO.
I have bought items there, mainly panties, for both my wife and myself.
The staff always treated me courteously and even directed me to sale panties.
I don't know what they said after I left, but I know to a commission sales person, a sale is a sale.
Ditto for the VF store and the Jockey store in Branson.
The only place I have felt uncomfortable was in the Maidenform store in Branson. Don't know why, but I don't get good vibes in that store.

Back in the late 1970's, my wife and I were working in Oklahoma City. This was the time when Sears, JC Penny's and Kmart were selling bravos underwear and unisex underwear.

I wore almost exclusively Vanity Fair hipsters, I was a size 6 or 7 (not any more!)

I only wore plain hipsters in a variety of colors.

I am in a dressing room trying on a pair of jeans. Standing there in a polo shirt and just my panties. The sales girl opens the curtain, looks at me and asks how am I fixed for panties?

I was dumbstruck. My feeble reply was .... uh ok.

When I told my wife about it she laughed and called me her little panty boy. I ended up buying the jeans and some boulet nylon underwear---for men.

I just got two new pair of boulet off of ebay.

Another time in Louisianna, I was in a dillards at the men's department looking at bikini underpants. The sales lady came up and started talking to me and told me that if I liked wearing these style of underwear, that I should shop in the lingerie section, as they had them a lot cheaper over there.

Penny's back in the 70's sold men's nylon panties with a cotton crotch. I was at my sister's in Florida and she was doing my laundry and asked me if I wore panties. I stammered a bit and she said she thought these were panties.

In the late 1970s, Penny's sold cotton panties that had a waistband like men's underwear. I had them in every color and same sister finally figured out I wore panties.

When I was 11 and went to a friend's house in the summer, his mother told us it was too hot to wear underwear and to put on these lite briefs.
Of course they were plain nylon panties. I was hooked! Spent the night at her house and she diapered her son! Well, you know the rest of the story.

Now that I am in my 60s, I just buy what I want. My money's green.

Jessica Keys
11-04-2010, 01:43 PM
For me it has always been "nylons"

Aaron Zwidling
11-04-2010, 08:32 PM
For me it was definitely the first time I bought a bra. I was maybe fourteen or fifteen years old at the time, and on Saturdays in the spring or summer I sometimes went to garage sales with my mom. One Saturday the two of us went to one particular sale advertisied in the local paper, and it turned out to not be a garage sale so much as a flea market. Essentially this woman was selling inexpensive stuff of various descriptions out of her basement in what appeared to be a side business of sorts. On this giant table the woman had set up in her basement amongst all the knick knacks she had on display was a small collection of maybe 10 bras. Of course I pretended to ignore them to look at the other things she had for sale. After spending fifteen minutes or so looking through her stuff we left to go to the next garage sale on the list.

Luckily for me we had gone to this sale fairly early in the morning, and this woman's house was reasonably close to my house. My mom and I finished our garage sale shopping around lunch time, and from the ad in the paper I knew this woman was running her garage sale until mid afternoon. I quickly hopped on my bike and rode over to her house. Thankfully she had no other customers when I got back there, and the woman herself wasn't hovering around me while once again I pretended to look at everything except for the bras. After minutes of this I finally got my courage up, grabbed one of the bras and went towards her to pay. I was ready to sink through the floor at any moment, and likely would have fled empty handed if this woman would have said anything the least bit confrontational to me. Let face it, a fourteen year old boy buying a bra at a garage sale! This woman had to have known I was buying that bra for myself. Thankfully all she said was "will that be all?" before telling me what I owed her. I'm sure my face must have been beet red as I paid and left that basement as quickly as possible but the whole thing was well worth it inspite of all that embarrassment.

Of course it has gotten progressively easier for me over the years to the point where I now go bra shopping at least three or four times a year, always try on every bra I am considering buying, and really look forward to every one of those trips.

susan54
11-06-2010, 07:17 PM
If you lookand feel confident, embarrassment does not feature. I have been fitted for a bra dressed as a man and as a woman, done a lot of partial dressing in fitting rooms to make sure things look OK with boobs and heels, and SA almost always relaxed about me trying things on. I have also shopped as a man in a skirt - amazing lack of attention.

The worst incident was in Debenhams, in a branch (in my home city) that usually wants men (I was dressed as a man) to try on women's clothes in the personal shopping area, but is perfectly nice about. On this occasion my pile of clothes included a side zip dress in size 12 (the only size they had in that style). The SA who had guided me to the personal shopping area was outside the changing room in case I needed other sizes - sometimes they just leave me to it. Luckily this was not one of the times they left me alone.

Now I usually take a size larger in a side zip dress, and my usual size is 14. But some brands are best in a 12 and I was optimistic. I got it on, but only just, and the zip would not even begin to close. OK - time to take it off. Oh. Stuck. Wriggle, wriggle a bit more. Still stuck. After five attempts I had to admit to myself that I was here as a man, wearing a bra with falsies, heels and wig, in a changing room in my home city completely trapped in a dress and needing assistance. I called over to her and explained, seeing the humour of the situation myself. She helped pull it over my head, both of us laughing (even if my laughter was a bit nervous). She was lovely about it, and when I went to pay no one at the till was laughing of even smiling slyly.

So if I can emerge unscathed from that, there really isn't an excuse for anyone getting embarrassed by a straightforward purchase.

cctgurl
11-09-2010, 11:22 PM
Tracy

As a newbie not sure if it is Ok to answer a respond when not the originator but really identify your answer. The bra for me is the hardest. I acquire most of my stuff in second hand stores. Kinda got over shoes, slips and even garter and hose. Matter of fact I have selected outfits that show off my nipples via gause or see through. Actually find this much more exciting and they(nipples) stand out even more.

May I ask about the pic. I do glass work. I appears to be glass paint. Maybe by Peter Mcgrain or?

What a great line about the stands also great eye

Vicki-Z
11-10-2010, 12:56 AM

Actually it's funny you mention this. Buying panties and lingerie for myself doesn't bother me. However my wife just can't buy tampons and maxipads for herself. All the years we have been married i have bought her tampons and maxipads. I even bought my daughters until she was old enough to buy her own. My wife is just to embaressed to be seen walking around the store with them so she will try to cover them up in the shopping cart. It's so funny that a couple times when I couldn't get out to buy them for her and she had to pick up her own she was in such a hurry that she bought the wrong ones.

I find it amusing the looks I get from women while I pick up tampons and maxipads. Some look shocked and others just smile. If there are two women together sometimes they will make comments to each other and you can hear them chuckling to each other. One time I had one woman who seem so shocked and was so obvious about watching me that when I picked up a box of pads I walked over to her dressed in my male clothes and told her that this is my favorite brand and that I find them so absorbant and comfortable to wear. Well you should have seen her face, there was another woman about 4 feet from me who was watching the whole thing and heard what I said she just looked at me and smiled. :heehee:

Vicki :hugs:

Sharon B.
11-10-2010, 01:05 PM
About the only thing that bothers me is someone that I know that doesn't know about my passion for feminine items.

LauraEwing
11-16-2010, 07:50 AM
Buying a nurse uniform and a rampant rabbit. Nail polish or lipstick are other items.

dennisGTS
11-16-2010, 08:01 AM
It used to be Lingerie; I'd get really red in the face (maybe even sweat a little) but not so much any more. I'd have to say, currently it's Make-up for me.

Roberta Marie
11-16-2010, 08:18 AM
When my son was 12 and started playing football, we went to a sporting goods store to buy him the required athletic supporter and cup. He was trying to be as cool as possible when he started looking at the display, but when the sales person that asked if he needed any help turned out to be an absolutely drop dead, gorgeous, blond about 18 years old, he turned bright red and choked and stammered so bad that I had to tell her what we were looking for.

Farrah
11-16-2010, 08:23 AM
I'm not embarrassed so much anymore, but I used to be terrified when buying makeup or finger nail polish. Now, I just go in and pay for and not think anything about it.

Angie G
11-16-2010, 09:22 AM
Everything I buy And I Buy everything At a store in person never really bothered my at all. Even the real personal things.:hugs:
Angie

Lainie
11-16-2010, 11:54 AM
I bought several pairs of shoes a few years ago, and the male clerk thought it was pretty funny. He read my name from the credit card out loud for everyone to hear--just to be sure that everyone noticed I was buying heels. Really humiliating. Now I tend to smaller shops with shorter queues.

... but isn't embarrassment part of the excitement, sometimes? I was embarrassed nearly to the point of fainting the first few times I bought almost every type of thing.

Farrah
11-16-2010, 11:57 AM
I bought several pairs of shoes a few years ago, and the male clerk thought it was pretty funny. He read my name from the credit card out loud for everyone to hear--just to be sure that everyone noticed I was buying heels. Really humiliating. Now I tend to smaller shops with shorter queues

That male clerk sounds like he was a real jerk!

Jodygurl
11-16-2010, 12:21 PM
On a Sunday morning about 6 months ago I got a call from Visa. They wanted to know if I had made an online purchase that morning at 2 AM. I hadn't nor had I been buying things 11 PM the evening before. They'd detected the possible fraud and I was very greatful as it is a debted card, which is worse. The lady immediatedly voided the card and wanted to verify all the other recent purchases. Deluthe Trading (some very nice ladies tanks), Rockler's (a woodworking supplier), Home Depot (of course), and Victoria's Secret. I agreed to all and she asked again about VS, seems there were four recent charges and I could tell by her voice that she was questioning the name and voice against purchases from the premiere langiere dealer. I again agreed and added that they had some lovely things. Busted! And loved it! I could hear the smile in her voice as she agreed.

Not really embarassed but caught and loving it made for a delightful morning. I've since lost my anxiety about buying in person, especially w/ the new Visa card.

Aaron Zwidling
11-16-2010, 10:02 PM
I bought several pairs of shoes a few years ago, and the male clerk thought it was pretty funny. He read my name from the credit card out loud for everyone to hear--just to be sure that everyone noticed I was buying heels. Really humiliating. Now I tend to smaller shops with shorter queues.

... but isn't embarrassment part of the excitement, sometimes? I was embarrassed nearly to the point of fainting the first few times I bought almost every type of thing.

Seriously Lainie, you should have asked for the manager and then questioned why the clerk had just read your name out to everyone in the checkout line. I would like to see the little twerp justify that behaviour to his manager. I would also likely start mentioning invasion of privacy and lawsuits, and ask the manager how the corporate lawyers for the store could be contacted. A disinterested, silly or nervous SA is one thing, but what that clerk did is simply unacceptable as far as I am concerned.