PDA

View Full Version : The almost wardrobe

Sarah Doepner
08-28-2010, 09:25 AM
In our world of unexpected/unwanted outtings, questions over S.O. approval, confusion over our true nature this is a small problem. But it drives me nuts.

Over the years I've developed a wardrobe full of seperates, skirts, tops, sweaters, slacks, etc. I've enough there now to put together some nice combinations, well, I ought to since I've maxed out the space allocated. The problem comes when I find that an outfit would work if I had just one more thing, in this case a pink camisole or similar sleeveless top to go with a loose overshirt and pink skirt.

So I go shopping and don't find the pink cami or similar top, but 3 or 4 more things that when I return to the closet discover they make a dozen outfits that "almost" work, if I had just one more thing. Is this supposed to happen?

Does this happen to others or am I just a fashion failure?

Sara Jessica
08-28-2010, 09:36 AM
What you describe is half the fun of building up a wonderful wardrobe, the ability to mix & match and create entirely different looks using a variety of basics and/or accessories.

But it sounds like your problem over the years is that maybe you ignored some of those basics in favor of what I'm sure are fabulous main pieces.

Maybe you can force yourself to shop for nothing but basics for the next few months. Find some incredible cami tops of different styles and colors. How about some plain blouses to create versatility with some long-forgotten skirts? And don't forget tons of accessories, bracelets/necklaces/rings/belts...you name it. Then mix all of this up with your existing wardrobe and I'm sure you'll have an absolute blast.

Or at least that's what I'd do!!! ;)

Dee Baker
08-28-2010, 09:54 AM
Sarah,

Been there done that got the cami to prove it.

Now if I can just find the right skirt! :doh:

Janet Bern
08-28-2010, 10:23 AM
I guess we always feel we need one more thing,, It adds to our stash but somehow we have to make room for it. Now that I bought padded panties and am going out dressed, I am looking to go modern and get rid of the girdles and the long stockings and just do pantyhose. Such problems?
Janet

Christina Horton
08-28-2010, 10:41 AM
You say you've been shopping or years but you don't say how long. What I think we do is we at first shop for the (BIG) stuff like dresses skirts and tops but not the accessories . We want th main thing but as we grow up and become adult women we need the time to find our stile. SO that means we need time and now your at that point where you look at the whole look and want to get a full stile .

I am there two but I have no money to do that LOL.

5150 Girl
08-28-2010, 11:05 AM
I to have a few pieces like that, but I've also been carefull (for the most part anyway) to take care of the basics to.

AKAMichelle
08-28-2010, 11:40 AM
I think so. I have watched my wife do it for years.

Sarah Doepner
08-28-2010, 06:26 PM
Oh, I have lots of basics, but in this case I've discovered some of the finer distinctions between various styles and what it takes to bring an outfit together. I mean, having more than one top in a specific color is important depending on the sleeve or strap it has, the neckline and what happens when you pair it with an overshirt or a jacket, a skirt or pants. Then there are the accessories, shoes and handbags needed to make it all work.

The problem I'm having is when I can't find the right piece, I see something else cute and buy it. Then when I come home I have just created a new fashion challenge rather than fixing the one I started with.

I thought I understood, but I guess I'm still learning.

Jamz1b
08-29-2010, 01:42 AM
for Camies I LOVE Charlotte Russe. might not have a lot of size selection but they are super comfy!! And cheep!

PretzelGirl
08-29-2010, 09:20 AM
Okay Jamie. Now you are going to get me to go look (twist my arm and make me shop). I am one of those that collects numerous camis, on sale of course, so I always have them for layering.

Billijo49504
08-29-2010, 09:25 AM
Me too!! How do you think I got those platinum cards:eek: Shop till you drop. Get some of those under the bed boxes. ...BJ