PDA

View Full Version : Help! The library is trying to out me!

Madeleine StClair
08-29-2010, 11:21 PM
Noticed something funny today ... at the main Denver library downtown they have security gates that beep if you try to leave with library materials that aren't checked out. And once in a while they beep when they're not supposed to, so the security guard has to check your stuff. Well, I've rarely if ever gotten beeped before, but a couple of weeks ago it happened ... and I had a couple of books on transgender topics. And it happened again today, and I had a book on fashion (women's, of course).

Hey, I don't really care what books the security guards see me taking out, but what's up with this, huh? Couldn't possibly be a coincidence!

temptationfalls
08-30-2010, 01:21 AM
As a regular patron of the Denver library I've seen a lot of people steal books by walking through at the same time as someone with a big bag so the person with the bag gets checked instead of them. I hope the guard didn't give you any problems!

Madeleine StClair
08-30-2010, 01:30 AM
As a regular patron of the Denver library I've seen a lot of people steal books by walking through at the same time as someone with a big bag so the person with the bag gets checked instead of them. I hope the guard didn't give you any problems!

Oh no, no problems! And I'm really not worried about it--it's just funny.

Christinedreamer
08-30-2010, 02:29 AM
I had the same issue many times at Walmarts and Home Depots. I would set off the alarms every time, even when I had nothing in my hands at all. I would stop and wait for security to check me out but as always, they let me go.

FINALLY after many instances of this I asked a security guard to wand me to see what was setting off the alrm. We found the culprit.

My GF had given me a new wallet for Christmas and deep inside the many compartments was a theft alert tag that I never knew was there. I pulled the tag out and asked to be wanded again. That was the problem! Never set off another sensor.

victoriamwilliams1
08-30-2010, 05:27 AM
I had the same issue many times at Walmarts and Home Depots. I would set off the alarms every time, even when I had nothing in my hands at all. I would stop and wait for security to check me out but as always, they let me go.

FINALLY after many instances of this I asked a security guard to wand me to see what was setting off the alrm. We found the culprit.

My GF had given me a new wallet for Christmas and deep inside the many compartments was a theft alert tag that I never knew was there. I pulled the tag out and asked to be wanded again. That was the problem! Never set off another sensor.

The same thing happened to me with a wallet! In fact it was my girl mode wallet!

Sally24
08-30-2010, 05:33 AM
The sensors are usually looking for a small magnetic band. If you have anything similar on your person, or inside a device, it will set off the alarm. If it happens again, try to find the culprit.

Nicole Erin
08-30-2010, 08:42 AM
those things have tranny detectors cause they always go off when I walk thru one also.

Chickhe
08-30-2010, 09:45 AM
hmmm.... just wait until Walmart and others start using rfid on everything. You'll be assumed guilty until you can show the history of where your goods came from on the computer...

Vieja
08-30-2010, 09:46 AM
I have the same problem when I take books out of the library. It used to bother me until I noticed that no one including the library staff ever even looked up to see what was happening.

Vieja

Chickhe
08-30-2010, 10:02 AM
The other week, I reserved a makeup book and had it sent in from another branch. When I went to pick it up on the holds shelves I discovered my last name was printed out and taped on to the spine of the book...anyone who knows me could see my name and look what I'm reading... in the past I might have been devistated, but these days I just don't care that much. Oh and my library also left a nice message on my home answering machine telling anyone who listens that my book was ready for me...

yazooey
08-30-2010, 01:29 PM
One time, I was leaving a Target and the alarm went off as I was walking out. Now, I don't steal but I was wearing a clingy top from Gap under my male shirt and fleece. I later realized that they have sensors sewn into a tag and apparently was neither removed nor deactivated. Don't ask me how that happened. But as I stood there mortified looking at the cashiers to let them know that I was not going to be a fleeing thief no one bothered to come towards me or approach me. I slowly walked out of the store giving them an ample chance to confront me.

As soon as I got home I was looking at my top and found that elusive security tag still attached. It scared me to death at the time.

Loni
08-30-2010, 02:29 PM
pending what were and when, the clerks may or may not do anything. but your attitude has it all, show your are surprised as they are offer the bag. no problems. run like he-doubble tooth picks and the dogs are let loose. :eek:

those rfd tags are placed every were in/on a object, my mom bought a skirt and they removed the big ink tag, made it out the door got home and found out there was a second ink tag on the skirt.

AKAMichelle
08-30-2010, 09:08 PM
I don't have to worry about this. I don't go to libraries. I never have time to read especially directions.

Madeleine StClair
08-31-2010, 09:31 PM
those things have tranny detectors cause they always go off when I walk thru one also.

Ah! Just as I suspected--a conspiracy!

I don't have to worry about this. I don't go to libraries. I never have time to read especially directions.

I don't have time to read either, but I do anyway :)

tanyalynn51
08-31-2010, 10:44 PM
You know, I get on here, hit New Posts, and I never know what Im going to read. This is one of the funniest so far for sure. I set one off while underdressed once, but fortunately it was a cd I had the reciept right there for,and the store said it happened all of the time. But, girls, be careful about coming out of Wal Mart if you think they may be suspicious of you. I was standing by the front entreance waiting for my cab, when I saw a couple of people heading to the door. I knew the security room was right there, cause a friend of mine used to work there. Suddenly, before they got out the door, a swarm of people came out of the room, and all different people that were around them closed in and pulled them inso the security room. Even if it was only for accidentally setting off the alarm, I would not want to be even underdressed

Jorja
08-31-2010, 11:16 PM
Wait till next week Madeleine. When you go thru the detector of course the alarm will sound. Also big red flashing lights will pop out all around the library and big 60" T.V. screens will rise up out of the floor through out the library with your picture on it and in 72 font print it will read TRANNY ALERT!!!!! :D

Christy_M
08-31-2010, 11:41 PM
The same thing happened to me with a wallet! In fact it was my girl mode wallet!

I had one do that for quite a while, too...male mode wallet though.

eluuzion
09-01-2010, 03:21 AM
I’m involved in the “personal security & privacy” business (to greatly simplify my job description, lol). Specifically, protecting it, not exploiting it.

I just wanted to clarify a couple issues on this thread regarding some possible confusion in technology and applications that were expressed.

Basically, those white rectangular magnetic “stickers” applied to merchandise are part of a common anti-theft security system found in retail outlets. If the “magnet” is not “desensitized”, it sets off the alarm when you exit the store. It really has no real purpose after it leaves the store.

RFID is entirely different technology with a different purpose than those “white magnetic security sensors”. “RFID” (Radio Frequency IDentification) is an automatic data capture technology that uses tiny tracking chips affixed to products. RFID couples radio frequency (RF) identification technology with miniaturized computers that enable products to be identified and “tracked” at a distance. It is like a tiny (some are microscopic) GPS “antenna” setup that transmits a signal which identifies the exact location of the “tag” to remote receivers that are tracking it. RFID employs a numbering scheme called EPC (“electronic product code”) which can provide a unique ID for any physical object in the world. (If this sounds scary…you are right…it is scary). The EPC (number) is cough, cough…”intended to replace the UPC bar code used on products now”. (since it can provide a unique ID for every single object). So it is an inventory tracker, not a “security sensor”.

They look like little square “stickers” or square “imprints” embedded into the product. (Looks like a little rat maze leading to the center point. That is actually an antenna wire that transmits the location of that little thing over tremendous distances. (yes, after you leave the store or the country in some cases!). Basically, it is a tracker. You can imagine the potential uses yourself…

Yes, Wal-Mart and many others already use it. If you want to know more, you can learn the basics here…

http://www.spychips.com/faqs.html

I dig em’ out of every product when I get home. Some are just stickers, some require a knife to dig out of the plastic (like the DVD cases of those cheap videos sold at Wal-Mart, lol). If you want to find some easily...look for the "EPC" logo on the outside of product boxes like TVs, etc.

I apologize it this appears to be a hi-jack to this thread. That was not my intention. I just felt it might help to clarify some misconceptions I read in a few of the posts…

"I spy with my little eye..." hehehe, remember that game you play in waiting rooms and the backseat on trips?

:love: