PDA

View Full Version : the results of my color analysis today

Ashleythenewgirl
09-02-2010, 03:54 PM
So today was a big day for me, meeting a local gurl and getting her help at Dillard's. We planned that I would get a color anaylsis/consultation done to get started with my make up (for those that don't know I am color blind).
I showed up 5 minutes late thanks to road construction and waited for about 40 mins. Keep in mind the whole time I was nervous, anxious, basically scared as all get out. Finally I said well I'm here....no guts no glory so I went to the Dior counter and said to the friendly looking SA I would like to see about getting a color analysis done please? She was caught a little off guard but said "ok I can help you with that. What are you looking for?" I somehow mangaged to get out "I am interested in wearing women's make up and clothing." She looked a little surprised then said "I have a brother who does too". I felt sooooooooo relieved. But it gets better. She could tell I was nervous and I said is this ok or will your customers feel bad about it? She said let me "grab a basket and I will take you to our spa." She proceeded to get me all glamed up over an hour and a half and it was fabulous! She was so kind and supportive and very encouraging. I received a chart with her notes and directions on what to do etc. As she put it" I want you to feel pampered". Words here cannot desribe how good I felt and still do. I made sure to tell her it's important in life to do good for others and she did something above and beyond today and how grateful I was. This was not just someone making a sale. She really is a special person who was helping me on my journey.
I purchased lip gloss, foundation and concealer to start...next week I go back for some eyeliner etc.
Seeing myself in the mirror...wow. Just the sensations alone...and the fragrances. An amazing day....

Jodygurl
09-02-2010, 04:01 PM
OMG, Ashley. That is so cool. You're helping to confirm what the other girls have said about SAs being professional.

Funny, we sort of on the same wave length. I was in the mall this PM and looked thru a few of the make up stores. I was totally overwhelmed in all but one. Bare Escentuals has a "starter" kit and the SA said he'd be happy to walk me thru it. I couldn't today but plan to make and appointment w/ Cha's next week.

Good for you and thanks for sharing a wonderful experience.

Ashleythenewgirl
09-02-2010, 04:10 PM
Jody,
Thanks for your support and kind words. I never want to bore people or just ramble but I felt like this was such a good thing! And today feels very "OMG" for me. I am up in the clouds!!
That is great to hear you are doing this next week. It is sooooo worth it. Not only was she professional...but a great person.
Hugs!
Ashley

AllieSF
09-02-2010, 06:48 PM
Great story Ashley and I was definitely not bored. I went to a MAC counter at a downtown Nordstrom's when I first started dressing over 3 years ago. I only asked for foundation recommendations and was treated great, in drab, and eventually bought the liquid foundation after being made up while sitting out in the open with all the other customers and others passing by. I now use powders and love them. Thanks for sharing.

rachellenicole
09-02-2010, 09:15 PM
What a great experience and a wonderful SA. I had went to Glamor Boutique in Vegas and bought a few things, then had their make-up artist do a mini makeover on me. This was fun, but not like going into a department store and getting the full treatment!

LitaKelley
09-02-2010, 10:10 PM
I was thinking about doing something like this myself, because I can't for the life of me figure out what kind and colors of foundation, concealer, etc to use. Someday I'll muster up the courage to do it, but cost is also a limiting consideration for the time being.. if you don't mind telling, what do these consultations, etc typically cost?

Ashleythenewgirl
09-02-2010, 10:52 PM
Lita,
It was tough, I had a hard time walking up and asking for help but it is really worth it in the end. This was the full treatment with lots of help. She pointed out the colors that would be best with my complexion etc.
The consultation I went to was free but I've been given advice by some gurls that part of this is you buy something, which of course I did. What she did today was earn a lifelong customer. I can't wait to go back.
I don't know about other stores and costs associated with it, so I hope this helps.
Ashley

JenniferLynn0370
09-03-2010, 12:04 AM
Congratulations Ashley; what an inspiration! Keep it up!!

Hugs,
Jen

Amanda22
09-03-2010, 09:08 AM
Ashley, what a wonderful experience. You've done a good thing yourself by describing it in detail! This helped me imagine how the experience might go. Thanks so much.

kimdl93
09-03-2010, 09:58 AM
Ashley, that's so wonderful! I really admire your resolve and appreciate the SA's compassion and encouragement! As you say, this is a journey, and isn't it cool to meet people like her along the way!

AKAMichelle
09-03-2010, 10:01 AM
sounds like a wonderful time. I think I need a color analysis

Ashleythenewgirl
09-03-2010, 10:07 AM
Go! Run! Do this as soon as you can LOL! As she and I talked, I discovered that her brother had SRS and became "Christine". Talk about fate and meeting the right SA. She told me that she'd been Christine's biggest advocate in the family.....and she mentioned that this is far more common than I knew (CDs coming in for the color analysis).
This is a good way to help determine colors and styles- she showed me a sample chart with different colors and styles ranging from "natural" to "Glamour" so I went with natural. This seemed like a good starting point. Now I have all my info written down and her instructions on how to apply etc. I'm still floating in the clouds over this.

Byanca
09-03-2010, 10:32 AM
I'm also colour blind, or colour weak, and just two days ago, when I was out partying and invited on a after party by a group of people, one of the comment from one of the girls was that I could use some help with the makeup(but that was after I had cried 2 times, and mascara was floating around the eyes.). Everyone was really drunk though, so was quickly forgotten about. I probably tend to go for shape instead of colour, if that makes any sense, I imagine it's a work around. This definitely seems like a good idea for girls like us. But I also like to do what I like the best, so a compromise seems like the ideal solution. Or get expert tips and modify with experience to ones own preference.

Krysta
09-05-2010, 10:42 PM
Ashley, I am so glad that it went well for you. There is hope for us color blind chicks yet!

AKAMichelle
09-05-2010, 11:17 PM
When you come back to earth, remember the little people here who haven't had a color analysis yet.

jacky83
09-28-2010, 12:25 AM
When I asked for help the SA said she was a TS & was experienced with working with CDs. I was elated!

Ashleythenewgirl
09-28-2010, 11:01 AM
When you come back to earth, remember the little people here who haven't had a color analysis yet.

I think I finally came back down to earth from this experience, but last week's shopping trip to Lane Bryant sent me back up again LOL.
Jacky good for you that is so great. What a small world!