PDA

View Full Version : Working Girl!!

MAJESTYK
09-02-2010, 07:35 PM
For those of you that had noticed, I had said previously that I had gotten a job at Walmart. Well, today was the first day. It wasn't bad but, I "cowgirled" up and did it!

Some funny looks of course and have to work on the makeup lasting a little longer but, no real problems. I have to talk to them tomorrow about the Transender issue and everything should be ok. They dont have a problem with it at all but have to get the word on the use of 'she" in stead of he and the potty thing.
I know this may not seem like a big deal but this is walmart! I just want everyone to know that you can do it ! We deserve to be who we are and this is the only way were going to get it!

Persephone
09-03-2010, 12:38 AM
Way cool! I think you are blazing a new trail! Keep it up, "cowgirl!"

Melody Moore
09-03-2010, 03:16 AM
have to work on the makeup lasting a little longer but, no real problems.
I live in the hot tropics of North Queensland here in Australia where keeping makeup on your face because you are always sweat. But the best solution I have come across is to spray some hairspray (because its made of lacquer) on your face after you finish applying your make up - Just remember to close your eyes & mouth. This helps my make up to last for about 8-10 hours. This is a tip I got from the girls in the drag show I compare now to ensure their make-up stays on for the whole night during all their sweaty song & dance performances.

noeleena
09-03-2010, 05:15 AM
Hi.

I think this could be a problem concerning make up for some.

For me at 63 i dont use make up as many do . some reasons are,
i have good skin, quite olive & a good complection hardly any lines .or may be the mirrow is suss .

An other reason why not im to male looking to start with . & im not prepeared to hide who i am.
Ill use lippy & light shades, eyebrow well i dont have any due to being burnt on my right side of my face 57 years ago.

if being a woman came down to how i look face wise then it would never happen so its about who i am,, not,, what i look like .

Having said that i am accepted as a woman . & most of my women friends dont use make up & none of us have a problem .

Its about accepting who you are first & then be comfortable with who you are & for many of us how we look .
& each of us will find that out as we grow . so age is the teacher,
All the best in your new work.

...noeleena...

MAJESTYK
09-03-2010, 03:08 PM
Well, my usual pessimistic attitude should have overrode my hope for humanity. I could not stay, they are discriminatory. You can wear what you want but, despite what you look like or present as, you are whatever your id says you are and will be treated that way. The only way you can be trans there is if you have already had SRS and had your id changed. Period. I was not allowed to use the correct loo and was made to feel unwelcome and was embarassed......should have known better. Now I am even emmbarased (sp) to go back and shop there.

Byanca
09-03-2010, 03:34 PM
I'm so sorry :hugs: But you could not have given it a longer try? Perhaps they would have come around. At some point it becomes too silly calling a woman a man, and things naturally just adapts..or so I would like to think..but I tend too be idealistic at times..and that's probably not how things are irl.

Melody Moore
09-03-2010, 05:53 PM
Wow, 2 days really wasnt long enough, personally I wouldn't have ever told them I was trans unless one of the bosses asked me. As far the rest of the staff are concerned, its really none of their business. I really dont see the need to ever 'out' yourself in any situation really, you live as a woman, then BE THE WOMAN! So I believe you would have been better to give it more time & let them get to know & accept you as a woman before revealing anything like that, but why even tell them at all?

MAJESTYK
09-03-2010, 06:02 PM
That was the thing. Staff did know and was not going to treat me like the woman and was already being discriminatory. Most of the rest of the employees know because I have gone there for many years before my transition. Trust me, time would have only made it worse. When I left, i was in tears from being so rudely treated.

RebeccaLynne
09-03-2010, 06:22 PM
I could not stay, they are discriminatory. You can wear what you want but, despite what you look like or present as, you are whatever your id says you are and will be treated that way. The only way you can be trans there is if you have already had SRS and had your id changed. Period. I was not allowed to use the correct loo and was made to feel unwelcome and was embarassed......should have known better. Now I am even emmbarased (sp) to go back and shop there.

Maj, you were disrespected. Wal-Mart will have to be dragged kicking and screaming into recognizing that their employees are human beings with genuine emotions and feelings, many with families to support. They never cared about you, and it's high time you refrained from shopping there. I won't set foot in their stores, 'cause I can buy anything they sell somewhere else.

I expect to be appreciated and respected for my business, or they'll miss the sale, and the profit that goes with it.

And I refuse to patronize homophobic establishments, which Wal-Mart clearly is.

My Lady Marsea
09-03-2010, 06:36 PM
I'm like so totally sad that it didn't work out, like sooooo lame these ppl. I, for one have learned, from your experience, if at all possible, like don't out at the beginning. Even if and when they find out, the worst is what just happened, except you woulda got like a couple of paychecks maybe. But as you stated they already knew. I wouldn't have the nerve to go to the guys bathroom. I've a lot of nerve, self belief, or wutever anyway each day just being the girl I am, but like so NOT that. If it makes you feel any bit better girl, I woulda quit too, hands down. One thing I just found out (at least here in AZ) is that if you get a letter from your gender doctor stating you are on hormones and fully 24/7 living as a female, and take it to like the ADOT (drivers license place) they will put the coveted "F" on your license, which is of course "identification". So you would be like employed as a "F" and even in this society they can't make you pull down your panties and prove otherwise. This step is like high on my to do list as I did not know this 3 years ago when I did my name change. This whole situation just speaks badly of Walmart. I'm so very sorry it had to turn out this way for you.

Melody Moore
09-03-2010, 06:40 PM
Maj, you were disrespected. Wal-Mart will have to dragged kicking and screaming into recognizing that their employees are human beings with genuine emotions and feelings, many with families to support. They never cared about you, and it's high time you refrained from shopping there. I won't set foot in their stores, 'cause I can buy anything they sell somewhere else.

I expect to be appreciated and respected for my business, or they'll miss the sale, and the profit that goes with it.

And I refuse to patronize homophobic establishments, which Wal-Mart clearly is.
While I understand your reasons for boycotting these types of businesses, I dont agree with it, because these types of places that need to realise they HAVE TO ACCEPT US & NEVER discriminate or vilify against us. I would have stood my ground and taken this a step or two further..... by STANDING UP FOR YOURSELF!

I replied earlier as well on Viccy's thread here: need help , desperatly and quickly please (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?138683-need-help-desperatly-and-quickly-please)
My advice is be EXTREMELY confident about who you really are, don't show any sort of weakness, fear or intimidation or they will be all over you. I would also advise arming yourself with information about your anti-discrimination & vilification laws, so if any situation ever arises, you know your rights & what action you can take if anyone discriminates against you, or tries to vilify you.

Remember if this does ever happen a good way to gather any evidence of discrimination that you might need to support a complaint to your local anti-discrimination commission is to make an audio recording of the abuse on a micro-cassette or pocket voice recorder such as your mobile phone.

Melody Moore
09-03-2010, 06:54 PM
I just found this site, it looks like it could be helpful to your problem: http://www.antibiaslaw.com

MAJESTYK
09-03-2010, 06:54 PM
Marsea, we can do that here too with the id but, gotta have the bucks to go to the doctor and do it. It just felt as if they were saying "you can be whoever you want to be, as long as it's who we tell you" As far as the bathroom goes, I cant even go in one, I dont belong and it's very upsetting to me. Imagine though if I were to be in a bathroom and a customer complains, what would they say then? You cant go to the bathroom at work? They dont have unisex ones here.
I am sure it will all work out for the best but I refused to compromise my identity for anyone especially an employer.

Melody, trust me I do stand up for myself and dont take crap from anyone, our Marine Corps taught me that. I do however refuse to compromise my integrity for ANYONE. Staying would have been like bowing to them and thanking them for degrading me. The idea of recording it for use is ok here if both parties agree to the recording, otherwise it's a felony.

Melody Moore
09-03-2010, 07:58 PM
The idea of recording it for use is ok here if both parties agree to the recording, otherwise it's a felony.
Maybe you should check with your police just to find out if this is true, because I thought the exact same thing as you before. But the police told me that when you are one of the parties engaged in the conversation & directly involves then you can legally record a conversation between you and another person(s). It is a different matter if you are recording 2 other parties engaged in a conversation that you are not part of. In other words if you overheard them talking behind your back, you can't legally record that. like I said, contact your local police & find out, because maybe you might find out like I did that the laws have changed.

Melissa A.
09-04-2010, 06:06 PM
Embarrassed to shop there?? Sister, I'd be in there every day making THEM as uncomfortable as I could. For me, just another of many reasons to stay away from that place. I am sorry you had to go through that. Yuck.

Hugs,

Melissa:)