PDA

View Full Version : Is Flying Pretty Brave?

LeannL
09-03-2010, 07:25 AM
This note is meant to logically look at air travel while dressed and should not be taken as a put down to either those who have or those that have not traveled “pretty”. The outcome of posting this is hoped to be to encourage others to consider traveling en femme.

A quick perusal of the “Special events and occasions” forum will find a number of our sisters who describe their adventures while dressed in the friendly skies. I have recently joined this club. I recently had a discussion with a sister about my experiences which got me thinking about why it has been as easy as it has been for me and apparently others that have described their experiences here.

Let’s first look at the numbers. There are a lot of TG/CD/TS people traveling. In 2008 about 810,000,000 passengers traveled in the US. If half of them are male and 3% are TG/CD/TS (the middle of the ranges I see quoted), then about 24,000,000 trips are taken by us each year or about 65,000 per day. If 2% of us travel dressed, then there are over 1,000 of us in the skies each day. Of course, I have no way to estimate what proportion of us who actually do travel dressed but 2% may be low as I suspect that the proportion of pre-op TS traveling dressed is much higher. Obviously some of us don’t need to prosthetics when we travel and maybe should be included in these numbers. The bottom line though is that there are a significant number of males presenting as female traveling each day.

The travel environment presents a challenge to analyze. On the one hand, the airport and airplane is a closed environment. Once you are in it, you really can’t get out unless you want to miss your flight or risk going to prison if you disrupt the flight. There are lots of people around you which increases the chances of your being read but most of these people are worried about getting to their gate on time and then they work hard to overcome their boredom by interacting with family members or reading a book. In other words, they are focused on their business and not others. So there are lots of people who could cause a problem but probably won’t notice if they even cared.

As a backdrop to the herding of the masses, the environment is protected by a group of people (TSA) whose job is to insure your safety. They are also a group who are trained to follow the rules. In many (if not all) airports also are protected by an additional police type force (in Connecticut, Bradley airport is manned by the state police) whose job is to insure safe travel. Lastly, we know there are an increased number of air marshals actually on the flights. As you all know, the laws of this country do not make it illegal for us to wear the clothing of our choice. Similarly, the TSA rules explicitly allow the use of prosthetic devices including breast forms. So this group of people who are trained to follow the rules, be polite and professional are not going to single a TG/CD/TS out unless there is real cause to do so. (Make sure you don't wear that underwire bra so they have no excuse to pat you down.)

Lastly, there is the flight crew. Again, they are there to make the flight a safe environment while keeping the passengers comfortable. Their other job is to get people in and off quickly. They have no reason to disrupt this process because someone is wearing clothes that don’t match what they think is the person’s “real” gender. Also, they often have no free time for them to do more than serve refreshments and their other duties and with most flights being full these days, the other passengers keep them busy.

Lastly, consider the experience of these air travel personnel. This analysis started with an estimate that there are about 1000 of us traveling pretty every day in the US of A. This means that on average two of us go through each airport dressed each day and that one in every 30 commercial flights has a dressed TG/CD/TS person on it. All of this means that the people who are employed to make our travel safe and enjoyable will encounter us routinely and they have learned to at least tolerate us and many of them (especially flight attendants) have learned to understand if not appreciate our situation.

So is flying pretty really such a brave thing to do? Of course, we all have to overcome our own fear which does take some bravery but compare flying pretty to going out on the town. Many of us hit the town by going to night clubs which usually involve people who have had too much to drink, walking at night on city streets without a lot of security in place, etc. We also go to numerous places during the day and night where we would have to rely on the generosity of strangers if we were involved in a dangerous situation. As I described above, air travel occurs in an environment which is designed to be safe for all involved. So to all of those who are comfortable going out dressed, I encourage you to consider flying dressed on your next flight. You will have an enjoyable time and it gives you yet another venue for showing off your good looks. I know that it has been more fun traveling dressed than not. I hope to see you all the next time I fly.

If you made it this far, thanks. Please share your thoughts.

Leann

kellycan27
09-03-2010, 07:44 AM
Same thing happened to me the first time I tried bungy jumping...and didn't die. This is great! you need to try this! It's safe! OMG! You feel so good afterwards! Take a deep breath.. you"ll come down after a while. And Thanks for sharing.

Kel

CallMeMeg
09-03-2010, 08:59 AM
I flew for the first time in July and blogged the whole thing (http://youCanCallMeMeg.blogspot.com). I thought the scariest thing would be the person next to me. I'd basically be trapped with who-knows-who for over two hours.

It was fun. Lesson learned: unless you WANT to get hand scanned, don't wear a cinch with metal stays. Although that was a fun experience too. :)

abigailf
09-03-2010, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the post Leann. I is helpful.

DianeDeBris
09-03-2010, 09:21 AM
Hi Leann -- superb analysis! Thank you, I'm confident you've helped many of us with your insights. Hugs - Diane

faltenrock
09-03-2010, 09:39 AM
great text - I love it. Hopefully I'll fly too sometime in the future

AKAMichelle
09-03-2010, 10:14 AM
You definitely made a good case for flying dressed. I have to agree with you that is more of a non-issue than you think at first. When I flew to Chicago dressed, I was so surprised that nobody asked for more information. They just pushed me right through security just like every other time that I flew. The other surprise was that my breast forms were in the my carryon bag when I flew home in male mode. Nobody said a thing and again I was pushed right on through security.

LeannL
09-03-2010, 07:49 PM
I flew for the first time in July and blogged the whole thing (http://youCanCallMeMeg.blogspot.com). I thought the scariest thing would be the person next to me. I'd basically be trapped with who-knows-who for over two hours.

It was fun. Lesson learned: unless you WANT to get hand scanned, don't wear a cinch with metal stays. Although that was a fun experience too. :)

Meg,
My only fear is having a seat next to a young child. I recently had such a flight while traveling drab. The child wanted to interact with me through most of the flight which I did. I enjoyed it but if I was en femme I suspect that I don't want to get into why I was dressed as a girl should she have figured it out that I was a guy. From my early experiences of being out, really young children were really good at picking up on mannerisms, etc.

Otherwise, I think I have spoken to more people sitting next to me than I have not. Interestingly though, the teen age and twenty something girls/women around me haven't been a problem.

Here's to enjoying your next flight :drink:

Leann

kavyaruma
09-03-2010, 09:16 PM
Hope fully one day i can travel as ME . I never had fear in drivingcar to malls /highways as it is only me whereas Air travel is bit different . Thanks for this wonderful thread ..

emmabeautiful
09-04-2010, 02:08 AM
It's certainly an attractive suggestion.

noeleena
09-04-2010, 07:57 AM
Hi ,
Is it brave to interact with people . all forms of transport . not really if you have confidence in your self. & how your dressed is not a problem.

I traveled on air lines internal & out side N Z . with my male name & female pic & never a problem. tho im legally a woman. one day ill change my name when i renew my passport when needed . till then its of little concern.

...noeleena...

AKAMichelle
09-04-2010, 09:06 AM
Meg,
My only fear is having a seat next to a young child. I recently had such a flight while traveling drab. The child wanted to interact with me through most of the flight which I did. I enjoyed it but if I was en femme I suspect that I don't want to get into why I was dressed as a girl should she have figured it out that I was a guy. From my early experiences of being out, really young children were really good at picking up on mannerisms, etc.

Otherwise, I think I have spoken to more people sitting next to me than I have not. Interestingly though, the teen age and twenty something girls/women around me haven't been a problem.

Here's to enjoying your next flight :drink:

Leann

I have to say that small children bother me the most. I avoid them in stores as well because as a parent I know how hard it is when a child starts asking questions to figure out what to say. Plus I don't want a child to get the wrong impression.

faltenrock
09-04-2010, 09:29 AM
the more I think about flying, the more I want to do it, I just don't know at what occasion and where. I agree with the child issue. When I was in a JC Penny last weekend in Detroit, I heard a mother with her little daughter walking bye, the mother saying "you think that's a dude?".
Kids are really good at picking out a CD and they don't bother saying it.

Chickhe
09-04-2010, 10:13 AM
I used to be scared of children before I was a parent because I just didn't know how to interact with them and that was dressed or not. Then it was while dressed because I was not self accepting and not confident. Once you decide to go out in the world, I think a major step is deciding you will be read and you must not let any situation phase you...you have to take what comes and just deal with it. For kids, all you can do is smile and answer their questions honestly...they don't really see anything wrong, they are just trying to put the puzzle of life together and once you tell them an answer they file it away and move on to the next question. To not worry the parents, though, it is best to limit the conversations and politely move away if you can. Or I guess if the kid was beside you, you could tell them you want to sleep now...or change the subject and just entertain them with some jokes or something.

TxKimberly
10-25-2010, 12:26 PM
An honestly fascinating post and thread - thanks!
I had also reached the conclusion that the airport/airline system is actually one of the safest places you could possibly CD and for all of the reasons you listed. A large law enforcement presence, the TSA, and everyone on their best behavior. You might even add that your average "thug" who might have caused a problem on the streets is probably not going to be the type to be flying.
In my opinion, the only part of flying pretty that really requires courage, is being willing to accept the fact that there WILL be at least some you have to interact with that will KNOW you are a cross dresser. It seems like a long time ago to me now, but there was a time when the very thought of a stranger knowing that I was a cross dresser would have terrified me. If I felt that way, I'm sure that there are plenty of others here who still do. These days I couldn't care less what a complete stranger knows or thinks about my being TG, but it took me a while to get there.
I LOVE traveling dressed. It has taken me from hating my job to loving it. It has taken what used to be an average of a 12 to 14 hour travel day of boredom and and made them fun instead.

AndreaS
10-25-2010, 02:45 PM
Really enjoyed your response Kimberly. Between your encouraging words and some of the other responses on here, its really got me giving this whole flying business a second look. I'm sure as I get closer to actually pulling the trigger on something like that, I'll be here looking for more tips and hand-holding to get me through it.

tricia_uktv
10-25-2010, 03:39 PM
An opportune post. I am flying dressed for the first time on Thursday week. I have to admit I am more excited then scared about the prospect. I have travelled in trains, trams, buses and coaches before so am quite used to getting from 'A' to 'B' dressed. I haven't yet bthough been through passport control so that does pose a challenge. I'll let you know how I get on.

ReneeT
10-25-2010, 04:28 PM
Leann, this was a really great post, and your analysis is spot on. For me, my biggest fear the first time was not being able to remove myself from the situation should the need arise. However, i got passed that and now really do enjoy flying pretty. I have yet to fly into Bradley though, as my company is HQ'd in Bloomfield and on any given flight in or out of Bradley at least one of my co-workers will be on it.

Kimberly, i am not nearly as pretty as you :-). I assume everyone knows i am a dude!

ReneeT
10-25-2010, 04:31 PM
As an afterthought, wouldn't it be fun to have a "fly in" someplace fun? Imagine a couple dozen or mrs cd/tg/ts all arriving in the same airport at the same time!

AKAMichelle
10-25-2010, 04:44 PM
Kimberly, i am not nearly as pretty as you :-). I assume everyone knows i am a dude!

Get real here. I have met TxKimberly in person and she doesn't attract any attention. You went to the orpheum theater for heaven's sake and passed. BTW, you looked great in that dress. Both of you are far and above most of us on here especially me. I just don't care if I am read. It isn't going to stop me from doing anything as Michelle. Just might be more hestitant.

As an afterthought, wouldn't it be fun to have a "fly in" someplace fun? Imagine a couple dozen or mrs cd/tg/ts all arriving in the same airport at the same time!

So where do you want to go? I'm game. But let's make sure it is someplace fun.

Niya W
10-25-2010, 04:52 PM
I flew from San Jose to Vegas with no issue(just one TSA agent flirting with me). I was bit nervous, but now it would be no big deal. But I did have two things going for me. I have a state ID with me as Niya and when people see my male name they say Carry. Not even close to how its pronounced. I think I would of been more scared if my male name was some thing like Fred or Mike .

serinalynn
10-25-2010, 05:07 PM
I made 2 round trip using commercial airlines San Diego to Minneapolis to Sioux Falls and return one in 2008 and one in 2009. i dressed femme on both trips notreally trying to pass, I wore a plunge bra, Went through the airport scanners no problem, ( I discovered the "Underwire in my bras is plastic and not metal) (THat was a relief.) The rest of each one way trip was uneventful, though in Minneapolis, i caught on woman stareing at my chest, i walked over an said "Yes I'm wearing a bra!", an walked away with a big smile on my face.

ReneeT
10-25-2010, 06:57 PM
So where do you want to go? I'm game. But let's make sure it is someplace fun.

How about Eureka Springs, AR?

AKAMichelle
10-25-2010, 07:08 PM
How about several days in Vegas? I have never been there and I can't imagine anything better than several days completely as Michelle. I wouldn't even pack a single male item outside of the razor. :D

renee k
10-25-2010, 07:14 PM
Hi Leann,

As part of the group of people that get you from point A to point B safely, your post is spot on. My main concern is, and I'm sure Jenny J will concur. Your safety is our first concern. That goes for the Flight Attendants as well, your safety and getting you off the airplane in an emergency is their first priority, and not how your dressed. So please give them your co-operation, and pay attention to the cabin safety briefing, it could save your life one day.

Renee

Rachel Morley
10-25-2010, 07:37 PM
Is Flying Pretty Brave?
Well .... my first, knee jerk, gut reaction, is - you bet it is! ... BUT .... if you think about it seriously, and obviously you have, you make some really good points and perhaps it is one of the safest places to go when dressed. I don't fly pretty (not yet) but I am a fairly seasoned flier (mostly long haul) and for sure, IMHO airports are one of the most busiest and nationality and culturally diverse places to be, and so you'd think people know this and realize that there's gonna be a lot of people all around them that are perhaps slightly different to them, certainly that's my perspective when I've been in SFO, Heathrow, JFK and Charles De Gaulle.

ReneeT
10-25-2010, 07:42 PM
Ok, ReneeK, do tell...... Are you a member of the flight crew?

Michelle, Vegas sounds awesome! I am serious - lets set a dat, say Q1 2011, and do it. Girls and guys, what do you think? We can call it "Vegas Comfort"!

Elizabeth Ann
10-25-2010, 08:03 PM
Let’s first look at the numbers. There are a lot of TG/CD/TS people traveling. In 2008 about 810,000,000 passengers traveled in the US. If half of them are male and 3% are TG/CD/TS (the middle of the ranges I see quoted), then about 24,000,000 trips are taken by us each year or about 65,000 per day. If 2% of us travel dressed, then there are over 1,000 of us in the skies each day. Of course, I have no way to estimate what proportion of us who actually do travel dressed but 2% may be low as I suspect that the proportion of pre-op TS traveling dressed is much higher. Obviously some of us don’t need to prosthetics when we travel and maybe should be included in these numbers. The bottom line though is that there are a significant number of males presenting as female traveling each day.

Leann

Leann, one small correction. 3% of half of 810 million (or 1.5% of 810M) is only about 12 million, rather than 24. So, cut everything in half. You still make perfectly valid points, even if we are twice as rare as you thought.

Liz

renee k
10-25-2010, 08:04 PM

Michelle, Vegas sounds awesome! I am serious - lets set a dat, say Q1 2011, and do it. Girls and guys, what do you think? We can call it "Vegas Comfort"!

That would be a YES, Renee. I sit up front on the left side on the other side of the door. I always have a window seat. Vegas has my vote!!

Renee

Kathryn Martin
10-25-2010, 08:06 PM
Hi Leann, Elizabeth and I just flew to Boston and back to attend the Fantasia Fair in P-town. I did not have a stitch of male clothing with me and flew femme across an international border. They are concerned about only one thing, that your hair is your own, and that you can be identified by your picture. I was very apprehensive when we went to the airport and had to clear US Customs and Immigration (they have a station in Halifax to relieve the US side in Boston). They were most courteous, I was addressed as Ma'am and we were addressed as "Ladies" and I give them a lot of credit. I am past any apprehensions now and know that if you are confident, prepared to laugh at yourself and dress like a female would, they will treat you as such even though your passport might show you as male.

The greatest thing was that in Montreal (coming back) one of the Air Canada emplyees was a fully transitioned Tgirl. It made me happy.

This was an eye opener.

Kathryn

LeannL
10-25-2010, 08:08 PM
Wow, I thought this tread was dead but several good points have been made in these new posts.

Kimberly, your point about the thugs is absolutely correct and the few that might don't want to get their parole revoked over some guy in a skirt!

For those who are worried about revealing themselves as a CD/TG/TS, I would suggest that they take head on. Just go up to the person (agent, TSA person, etc.) and when they hand them the ID say "Yes, I am transgendered." It disarms them immediately and allows them to go about their business without trying to figure out who/what you are.

Tricia,
Good luck. I haven't been through the UK dressed nor through customs. Our thoughts are with you and our computer screens are waiting for your report.

ReneeT,
You should check out Providence, New Haven or Westchester airports for cheaper fares. One of these days, you will find one and you will have your excuse. Be careful though, the parking at Providence and especially Westchester airports is pretty expensive.

Renee K,
First of all thank you for getting me home safely. I do pay more attention to the safety information since Sully put the plane down just south of where I am right now. I assume that you work for the airline that has one of the hubs in Detroit. I used to work in Kalamazoo so there is a chance you flew a plane that had me aboard.

I have to say that all of the flight attendants have been very nice. I had one flight that I chatted with two of them for about 10 minutes waiting for the rest room to clear.

Everyone,
So have you decided where we are all going? I am game. If you haven't flown pretty before, you can join us when we decide. Can you imagine what it would be like if a hundred or so of us showed up at the airport all at once to board our flights home? I would love to see it.

To those that have gone to SCC, does something like this happen when the conference is over? How many girls fly pretty to and fro?

Best Regards to all,

Leann

AKAMichelle
10-25-2010, 08:10 PM

They have Diva las Vegas but we are going to have our seminar and outings. Hopefully by the time we go that I can lose a lot of weight and look half as good as you in a dress. We will just have to go mainstream the entire visit. I have a list of people in Vegas who will party like it is 1999. We will do so many things while there that it will take an entire book to tell the story, but you better leave a few things out. Cause I intend to get into some trouble while there. :D Thank goodness - what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.

Fab Karen
10-25-2010, 08:16 PM
If you want a funny book to read on the plane "coffee, tea, or me" is good ( about a different era ). I wonder if it's still in bookstores.

Brenda2246
10-25-2010, 08:50 PM
I am in for going to Las Vegas!!! I was just there with my girl friend (G.G.) and we went out to a club. It still hard for me to walk in public in drag, so I am not sure I up for flying yet, but I am working on. :)

When we went came back from the club and walked from the parking lot to the hotel thur the Casio I was afraid that everyone was looking at me, thinking guy in a dress. But my girl friend was thinking that they thought we were hookers! I should be so lucky! LOL

DianeDeBris
10-25-2010, 09:14 PM
Las Vegas is a GREAT place to be out and about, 24 hours a day! I think Diva Las Vegas isn't until almost summertime(?), and Q1 2011 sounds much preferable (ie, sooner!!). Maybe we could work out a charter flight, with Renee K acting as the Pilot In Command?? (g) -- OTOH, could we be setting ourselves up for disappointment? Las Vegas is also a place where a thousand of us could be together in a group, amid thousands of other people, and it's possible that NOBODY would take any notice at all!!

AKAMichelle
10-25-2010, 09:28 PM
I am in for going to Las Vegas!!! I was just there with my girl friend (G.G.) and we went out to a club. It still hard for me to walk in public in drag, so I am not sure I up for flying yet, but I am working on. :)

When we went came back from the club and walked from the parking lot to the hotel thur the Casio I was afraid that everyone was looking at me, thinking guy in a dress. But my girl friend was thinking that they thought we were hookers! I should be so lucky! LOL

Don't worry about what they think. Hold you head high, shoulders back and boobs out. If you don't pass then own the look - it's you. Have attitude because it will get you a lot further than looks anyday. Plus it doesn't fade with time.

it's possible that NOBODY would take any notice at all!!

That's good and bad. It will depend upon how much attitude I want to expose the world too. usually I don't mind being noticed but we may not be the weirdest thing in Vegas. So we may just have to admit that we are ordinary there. :D

renee k
10-25-2010, 09:34 PM
Las Vegas is a GREAT place to be out and about, 24 hours a day! I think Diva Las Vegas isn't until almost summertime(?), and Q1 2011 sounds much preferable (ie, sooner!!). Maybe we could work out a charter flight, with Renee K acting as the Pilot In Command?? (g) -- OTOH, could we be setting ourselves up for disappointment? Las Vegas is also a place where a thousand of us could be together in a group, amid thousands of other people, and it's possible that NOBODY would take any notice at all!!

I think Diva Las Vegas is in April. Could someone here lets us know when it is. I think first quarter 2011 as Renee T suggested would be a great time.

Renee

AKAMichelle
10-25-2010, 10:14 PM
After shoveling snow a few times, I will be ready in the 1st quarter

Brenda2246
10-26-2010, 12:41 AM
Don't worry about what they think. Hold you head high, shoulders back and boobs out. If you don't pass then own the look - it's you. Have attitude because it will get you a lot further than looks anyday. Plus it doesn't fade with time.

Thanks I will try that! I was just trying to walk, not fall down, and breathe! LOL But I am game to go out again!

sherri
10-26-2010, 07:42 AM
Great posts. The only thing I would question is the statistics. Of course I'm just speculating, but I doubt that on any given day there are 1,000 dressed CDers in the air. I hope we get there though. It would be nice to think that people are likely to see at least one openly TG person at the airport on their next flight.

Personally, I look forward to my maiden femme flight. I don't get to/have to fly as much as I used to, so I don't know when that will be, but there is one problem I haven't solved yet. Like many of us, I cannot afford to be outed here at home, and I have seen someone I know almost every time I've been in our local airport. And too, many local flights involve a plane change in Dallas and it's not at all uncommon to see a familiar face at that airport too. To me, it would be kind of a spoiler to have to leave home as a guy and change in an airport restroom. So, the prospect of sashaying into the old home airport in a skirt and heels would involve a bit of risk -- and bravery.

They are concerned about only one thing, that your hair is your own, and that you can be identified by your picture. The hair issue is news to me. Are you sure about that, cuz I haven't heard any of the gurls here mention any problems with wearing a wig? Is this an issue only on border-crossing flights? And what's the solution? I mean, would your have to take your wig off right there in line or what?

AKAMichelle
10-26-2010, 08:28 AM
Great posts. The only thing I would question is the statistics. Of course I'm just speculating, but I doubt that on any given day there are 1,000 dressed CDers in the air. I hope we get there though. It would be nice to think that people are likely to see at least one openly TG person at the airport on their next flight.

Personally, I look forward to my maiden femme flight. I don't get to/have to fly as much as I used to, so I don't know when that will be, but there is one problem I haven't solved yet. Like many of us, I cannot afford to be outed here at home, and I have seen someone I know almost every time I've been in our local airport. And too, many local flights involve a plane change in Dallas and it's not at all uncommon to see a familiar face at that airport too. To me, it would be kind of a spoiler to have to leave home as a guy and change in an airport restroom. So, the prospect of sashaying into the old home airport in a skirt and heels would involve a bit of risk -- and bravery.

The hair issue is news to me. Are you sure about that, cuz I haven't heard any of the gurls here mention any problems with wearing a wig? Is this an issue only on border-crossing flights? And what's the solution? I mean, would your have to take your wig off right there in line or what?

They don't have an issue about a wig or at least not with me. But now I use my own hair.

TxKimberly
10-26-2010, 09:11 AM
. . . Kimberly, i am not nearly as pretty as you :-). I assume everyone knows i am a dude!

Renee, you DO have a mirror right? I am NOT an prettier than you are my friend. When I travel or am just out and about, a LOT of people read me, and they read me long before I open my mouth so it's more than just the voice. That is kind of what I was saying though - you have to be able to accept and tolerate this if your going to fly.
I think that there is another concept that I'm not really sure how to put into words - I think of it as "plausible deniability". If you dress appropriately, and act appropriately, then you you give people plausible deniability to accept you as a woman. In other words, even if we aren't perfect (and I'm a long way from there) if you make an effort in your appearance and demeanor, people are probably going to accept you, even if to some of them it is just "playing along".

. . . I have to say that all of the flight attendants have been very nice. I had one flight that I chatted with two of them for about 10 minutes waiting for the rest room to clear. . .

I LOVE chatting with the flight attendants! That is often the funnest part of my day. They often greet me with genuine smiles and have often gone out of their way to chat with me. I think that in the two years or so I've traveled dressed, I've only run in to one flight attendant who really seemed a bit bent out of shape about me. All of the others seem to think it is a welcome relief from the same old same old. :D

renee k
10-26-2010, 09:25 AM
Renee, you DO have a mirror right? I am NOT an prettier than you are my friend. When I travel or am just out and about, a LOT of people read me, and they read me long before I open my mouth so it's more than just the voice. That is kind of what I was saying though - you have to be able to accept and tolerate this if your going to fly.
I think that there is another concept that I'm not really sure how to put into words - I think of it as "plausible deniability". If you dress appropriately, and act appropriately, then you you give people plausible deniability to accept you as a woman. In other words, even if we aren't perfect (and I'm a long way from there) if you make an effort in your appearance and demeanor, people are probably going to accept you, even if to some of them it is just "playing along".

Great point Kim! I totally agree, it's worked for me.

Renee

Hillary Rose
10-26-2010, 09:30 AM
I didnt even think flying while en femme was still an option with the new rules and regs. Now I hope to do it someday...

Melinda
10-26-2010, 09:39 AM
I fly fully in full femme mode whenever possible. Here's a couple thoughts/observations/experiences. If I put my breast forms in my checked bag it will get opened and inspected by TSA, happens every time. They probably look like some kind of gel/liquid explosive under xray. Exploding boobs! :) The last time I flew I wore a really loose skirt. They decided to pat me down because it looked bulky and I guess could have been hiding something. I'm standing next to the scanner with a male TSA agent shouting "female pat-down needed!" I thought it was great but then I've gotten over being shy. If I have to use the bathroom DIA (Denver) rocks because there are family restrooms everywhere. Other places it's in and out as fast as possible. I haven't had any issues withe fellow travelers yet but small children make me worried because I don't want to frighten the parents. I assume I'll be read and always worry that some parent who is ignorant about our situation will decide that I must be some kind of pervert. Still, all that security around and lots of good anonymity make the airport and plane my favorite place to get to be Suzy. I usually go ahead and go to the rental car agency for my car then to the hotel and check in, handing everyone my male ID as needed and no problems yet.

LeannL
10-26-2010, 09:22 PM
Kathryn,
Good job going international. I suspect any issue (of which I have never heard) with a wig, must be an international issue.

Sherri,
My numbers were what ifs that seemed plausible. You can dispute them but this thread has brought out a few members who I was unaware was flying. So there are more out there that we think and remember, this forum has a very small percentage of the total TG population participating. the bottom line is that we are not rare, uncommon maybe, but not rare. Given the reaction of most people I come in contact with at the airport, most have seen one of us before.

Kimberly,
You have got it right. If you act like a women, expect to be treated like a women then most will treat you like one if you are presenting like a women.

Renee T and Kimberly,
Cut the c**p. You are both good looking and better than most (including me) and I suspect that you both get read at times :) The key is that you both enjoy being out and about and we all look forward to your adventures.

Melinda,
Didn't know you were a member of the club. Glad to know that it is a big club that is getting bigger.

Renee T,
Can you get some of those plastic wings they give kids? We need to get some, paint them pink and hand them out to the members of our flying pretty club :)

Leann

DianeDeBris
10-26-2010, 10:10 PM
Can you get some of those plastic wings they give kids?

I believe they stopped handing those out maybe twenty years ago, when they switched over to chopping them up and putting them into the salads; and even that was back when they were handing out "food!" (g)

serinalynn
11-01-2010, 08:57 PM
YYEEESSS several day in vegas I'm in for that.

AllieSF
11-01-2010, 10:46 PM
Just made my reservations to join the High Flyer's Association when I head out to Vegas on November 17th for two days and evenings of fun,and I hop, games. I am looking forward to checking another item off of my ever-growing Bucket List.

michelle64
11-02-2010, 12:53 PM
never have flown yet..dont worry about passing even though i hate the concept many seem to dwell on..i dunno..vegas is always fun..i am just not sure i can take more then 5 hours enfemme..thats seems to be my limit and time to go back to guy stuff....

tinachristina
11-03-2010, 08:23 AM
Reading about all you girls here and your experiences makes me sad and jealous ;). I wish I had the freedom too to do all such things in India. But I donot know will the security handle a T. It will be always confusing which bathroom to use. Women will have strong objection to men using the bathroom even if dressed and forget the men's room. Creepy guys probably will flock to you as enter into the men's room.

I am even not willing to goto a mall because of many of the misconceptions in the society. So my CDing is pretty private affair.

There was a fun dressing up game in one of the Indian channels . I am putting up the link here (http://www.google.co.in/search?q=adam+vs+madam&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=Bgy&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=v&source=univ&tbs=vid:1&tbo=u&ei=lmHRTJLZCsyecYmX9bUL&sa=X&oi=video_result_group&ct=title&resnum=6&ved=0CC8QqwQwBQ). The challenge is to complete things while looking like other sex. It was fun to watch. It is called as Adam vs Madam ( title's funny too).

Sorry to hijack your thread, but after a long time, I came across such interesting thread and was tempted to write something

Love.
Tina