PDA

View Full Version : Told a GG friend and she was an angel of mercy!

lisa_vin
09-07-2010, 03:02 PM
First a little background......been married 32 years, last 3 or 4 of which have been very rough. Wife has known about me for years and only barely tolerates at best. The last couple of years it has been eating her alive and dominates her feelings towards me. She first found out about 20 years ago, demanded that I go to a psychiatrist to get it fixed or cured and would not speak of it even after my sessions were over......out of sight & out of speech = out of mind! She buried it in the back of her mind until re-discovering it in me 4 years ago. We spent more time and sessions with a therapist......this time she actually went too and achieved the status of "grudgingly tolerant" but our marriage did not improve. Both of the therapists helped ME tremendously.....getting me to accept and love me as I am and understanding this is what makes up ALL of me, losing my guilt and shame and losing my feelings of freakness, sexual deviant, degenerate and all around loser. Turns out they did cure me after all......of my feelings of worthlessness!

This awesome GG friend of mine has always been there for me and has always been concerned about all of the family. She dated and lived with my brother-in-law for several years before they permanently broke up. I see her for lunch every now and then and I am the only one in the family who cares about or has maintained a friendship with her. We met for lunch last Friday and her first question was "How are things at home?" She knows we have been having problems for years and she knew what most of the impetus was behind it but I had never told her about my cd part and how big a role it has played in all this. I finally decided to level the playing field and tell her my secret since she had no idea it plays maybe the largest roles in our problems despite the fearsome chance that it may cause our friendship to dissolve once she found out.

She could not have been more sympathetic and supportive for me! I felt a huge weight lift from my shoulders and a surge of happiness like I have never felt before. She said "What's the big deal, it's part of who you are!" She accepted me as I am and for who I am, no judgements, prejudices or criticisms. I told how how I had kept this knowledge from my wife before we were married and how deeply this had betrayed her love and trust when she found out. She understood how and why my wife feels the way she does and how wrong it was for me to keep it from her before marriage. However, she also reminded me how important and loving it is to accept others as they are and for who they are. She told me that no matter how deceptive and betraying it was, do not ever be hard on myself because it's part of who I am, my character and my personality and to deny it would mean me trying to be somebody else or something I'm not. Not to mention that the happiness level in me would be poor to non-existent. She acknowledged that it was wrong for me not to have told her before marriage......to have given her the opportunity to accept or deny me knowing everything about me up front.

She also made me realize that "barely tolerant" is never going to be the same thing as acceptance and that is what I truly want....to be accepted with all my flaws and drawbacks. She made me realize that I must bear some of the guilt as well.....for I wanted my wife desperately to ACCEPT my femme side which meant her accepting me as I am all the while I was not accepting her for not accepting me. I want and expect her to change her beliefs, morals and standards to make an exception for me and she wants me to drop the cd'ing altogether and be somebody I'm not. We BOTH want to change something about the other and we can't accept each other as we are. So it's a stalemate for now and one or both of us has to eventually make a move to break it.

BTW......it turns out that my GG friend was a psychology major in college. I asked her, personally, what was a deal-breaker for her with guys and relationships and it turns out the cd'ing is not on her deal-breaking list as long as there are rules and parameters established. My friend.......she's a one-in-a-million!!!!!!

carhill2mn
09-07-2010, 04:10 PM
Thanks for sharing a lovely experience. You are, indeed, fortunate to have such a GW for a friend.

kym
09-07-2010, 05:00 PM
Lisa, you GW is an angel!!! and more important, shes right. It took me 11 years to realize that barely tolerant is not what I needed in my marriage if I was going to be happy and mentally healthy. Fortunately I was able to find a GW that accepted and supported me because being Kym is a part of who I am as a whole person.

Alice B
09-07-2010, 05:08 PM
Without question she is a very special friend. I must ask - is she married or in a committed relationship. I ask because it sounds as if there may be changes down the road and she wants to be a part of them.

Jenny Doolittle
09-07-2010, 05:10 PM
Aren't friends wonderful!!!

lisa_vin
09-14-2010, 12:39 AM
Thank you Carole, Kym, Alice and Jenny for your kind words......I truly appreciate it. Understanding and acceptance (not just bare tolerance) is so vital to happiness for both parties and I realize my wife and I are both short-changing each other in that respect. Because I know and love who I am (started dressing around 5 years old) and know how awful rejection and unacceptance feels, I don't think it's fair for my wife to expect me to ever change nor for I to expect her to continue bending her morals, beliefs and standards to "barely tolerate" my femme side. We live and exist now as uneasy, unhappy and distrustful roommates constantly feeling stress and anxiety. I'm sure this is having a negative effect on our 15 years old daughter as well because she doesn't know ALL the issues that divide us (she obviously doesn't know about my cd'ing) and I'm not sure that more counseling will ever change either of our stands but I'm willing to try again if she is.

As for my friend, she IS awesome but I may have spoken too soon about what I thought was complete acceptance. I told her about me two weeks ago and she immediately set up another lunch with me for last Friday. She abruptly cancelled on me at the last minute by text message after ignoring my calls and emails during the week as I was simply trying to confirm if we were still on or not. This is just not like her......she has ALWAYS been quick to return any emails or phone calls but this sudden change in her response habits has me concerned that she may not be quite as open-minded, accepting and understanding as she appeared to be. Maybe she was just trying to be nice to me by saying to me just what I wanted or needed to hear. Whatever the reason, she is still my friend and I will give her time to see if she comes around or if I'm just being overly paranoid about what might be nothing more than just a very full business schedule. She is a regional manager of a big, extremely busy credit union and she oversees several other branches as well and she's a bulldog of a manager.

As far as her possibly wanting to be part of my future should a change occur, she was so hurt and devastated by what my brother-in-law did to her and how he treated her that she considers herself truly "Single and happy". I helped her get through that extremely rough period in her life by being a good listener, lending her a shoulder to cry on and being a good friend and confidant (I'm the only one in the entire family that did). Her relationships with men now are only on her terms and her needs. She also has 3 failed marriages on her docket so she really hasn't had the best of luck with men. My revelation to her may have seriously changed or destroyed her image of me and thus forever affected our level of friendship. I don't know......only time will tell I guess!:confused:

Chickhe
09-14-2010, 01:30 AM
I went through a rough time with my wife due to other reasons than CDing and the only thing that seems to make it better is to tell her how I feel, to ask her for help, to admit I'm not anywhere near perfect and just hug her sometimes. Slowly we seem to be getting closer again.

Your friend might be busy at work and doesn't want to take on the heavy weight of hearing about your marriage problems... and the question about CDing being a deal breaker or not for her, hopefully was not taken as a hint that you would be interested in her... just a thought. Maybe you should cancel your lunch date with your friend and take your wife out instead.

erickka
09-14-2010, 06:26 AM
That lady is one special person. Glad you held on to that friendship, it's a sure keeper.

AKAMichelle
09-14-2010, 08:28 AM
I am glad that you have someone, but you should tread lightly. You are married and if your wife finds out about the relationship you have with this woman then it can be construed as an affair. An affair of the heart where you tell this woman things that you never told anyone else before. An affair would cross the line in your wife's eye and most likely result in a divorce and total non-acceptance.

It really stinks sometimes when we are married that we have to think about the other spouse's perception of what we did. If it was a guy then all would be well but a GG would be considered a threat. The worse part of it all is that she accepts you. So be careful and think long and hard before you do anything else with her.