PDA

View Full Version : Did my assistant open THE cabinet?

Ria
09-07-2010, 11:51 PM
I have a home office, it's a basement suite that is home to my desk, my assistant's desk, a couple of computers, copier... you get the idea.

One large double door cabinet containing shelves and two large pull-out drawers is home to my prized shoe collection, tops, skirts, pantyhose, bras and jewelry. This cabinet matches my office suite and blends in nicely. It also embodies the proverbial closet that I'm firmly in... besides my wonderful wife, she knows everything.

My routine involves a two hour dress-up session most mornings, no make-up whilst I complete administration, computer work and read etc.

8AM on the dot, I change clothes, lock my cabinet, hide the key behind the guitar amp on the large internal magnet and I retreat for breakfast as my assistant opens the door at 9:AM

A few weeks ago I walked into my office early one afternoon, greeted my 25 yr old assistant (no I'm not having an affair with her thank god) and noticed "the cabinet" had a piece of pink clothing sticking out from between the cabinet doors, complete with key hanging from lock!

NO!!!

I remembered how an unexpected visit that morning had prompted a fast change of clothing (Fastchanger). I failed to return to my office to lock my cabinet. What a FOOL!

At first opportunity I locked the cabinet and wondered if she discovered my secret. She knows I have several firearms and was lead to believe that cabinet was my gun locker.

Today I had a argument with my assistant which escalated into a full out screaming match. The next words out of my mouth was almost... "you're fired, get out". but I didn't fire her today but I wonder if I had, could the unlocked cabinet come back to haunt me?

Such truths thrown in my face or uttered to my colleagues as a way of viscous retribution would be... not good. Ha!

The damn cabinet is so handy in my office, but requires such vigilant care.

So that sucks hey!?:heehee:

Persephone
09-08-2010, 01:05 AM
I was good down to the part about having a full screaming match with your assistant. Then you yelled, "You're fired, get out!" And then you didn't fire her???

How long has she worked for you? How often do the two of you argue? How often does it get that angry? How often do you fire and then rehire her?

kimdl93
09-08-2010, 07:50 AM
My initial reactions was "Whew" , then I got to the arguement part. If your assistant happened to notice the contents of the locker, she might be able to speculate on why these are in your office. I don't know how that would affect your business...but you can't allow yourself to be blackmailed or coerced (should that ever happen).

At the same time, it might be a good idea to disect that arguement - what was the proximate cause, how did it manage to escalate to a screaming match - and how can you and your assistant avoid losing control like that in a professional relationship.

5150 Girl
09-08-2010, 10:53 AM
Besises all that, what proof does she have that the stuff isn't your wifes? She needed some more storage space, so she took over your gun locker.

DonnaT
09-08-2010, 04:05 PM
I doubt she looked in your cabinet. It's always been locked, and there's nothing in there that she would need for the business, so why open it.

And if the argument was as you said (albeit confusing), she probably would have brought it up had she looked inside and put 2 and 2 together.

Ria
09-08-2010, 09:01 PM
I Agree DonnaT, I doubt she looked or even noticed that an always locked cabinet was unlocked. It is a big office. BTW she has been my assistant for over five years. We have had a couple of heated arguments regarding her attitude but this one was bad.

AKAMichelle
09-08-2010, 09:21 PM
The worse part of working at home can be having someone invade your private space at home. I couldn't have anyone working for me at home ever again.

eluuzion
09-08-2010, 10:37 PM
Two answers

1) The Internet forum version where you are able to change reality into any fantasy, excuse or justification without suffering any consequences, lol

Answer: No, she probably did not look, because people are not curious and she knows it is just a gun cabinet. Just be more careful next time. Just apologize tomorrow for blowing up and everything will return to normal.

2) Reality version (real world after you turn off computers)

People are naturally curious, particularly about locked cabinets and areas left unexplored. At "work" she knows that cabinet is locked for a reason. Since she is the only employee, that reason is her. So she has natural curiousity about the contents.(not necessarily for any evil purposes, she is just curious like we all would be).
Leaving the key in the lock is like leaving a blinking strobe attached to the handle. If I was to bet, I would certainly place my money on her having viewed the contents.

The argument and whatever preceded or followed it is a speculation only you can make, based on your relationship. Here is a question for you...Does she have a camera on her cellphone? Last question... Are you actually considering leaving the contents in that cabinet? If it was me, that cabinet would contain items that relate to your original story about being a weapons storage unit. (but I would NOT have a weapon in there).

Any "security plan" should always account for the absolute worst case scenarios...but I guess you have learned that lesson, eh?

anyway, confirm nothing, deny everything and have a nice day at work tomorrow....