PDA

View Full Version : I made an appointment

tanyalynn51
09-09-2010, 05:03 PM
Today, I did something that the very idea of has scared the crap out of me. I had been looking at a couple of local counselors on the web locally, and then saw one of them would be free with my insurance. I said the heck with it and gave her a call. She actually answered the phone- I wanted to hang up. I had emailed her already, and she said we should meet if I wanted help. She gave me an appointment that jived with my schedule on Tuesday. Now, since Ive never had the nerve to talk about it with anyone else except on here, I have to face my greatest fear. I have to let another person into my head and heart, and see Tanya. Im just hoping I dont lose my nerve.

Stephanie-L
09-09-2010, 06:34 PM
Good luck Tanya, I hope it goes well for you.....Stephanie

Faith_G
09-09-2010, 08:16 PM
It's OK to be scared. :hugs: You just have to decide not to let the fear stop you from doing what you need to do. Feel the fear and then do what you made up your mind to do anyway.

StaceyJane
09-09-2010, 10:07 PM
That's pretty much what happened to me.
Just be yourself and be honest and you will do just fine.

sandra-leigh
09-09-2010, 11:15 PM
You can do it! You might perhaps feel like you want to throw up as you get close to her office, and you might only be able to get a few words out at first -- but once you put your "I am going to get this needle!" courage together, you'll get through it fine, and you'll be so glad you did!

Hope
09-10-2010, 02:17 AM
Go you.

The first step always seems to be the hardest. ... And your therapist will do her part to make you comfortable (If she doesn't find one who does - even if you have to pay for it). You just have to be honest.

Victoria Anne
09-10-2010, 10:13 AM
Tanya the first step is the hardest as Hope said but it is not as bad as you are imagining , you can do it and I promise you will feel so much better after you get started . Follow your heart and don't look back . The world is really not so scary once you poke your head out . All my best to you

7sisters
09-10-2010, 11:34 AM
that's okay... they are trained to deal with nerves. You are just one in their long list of clients with similar issues.

Rianna Humble
09-10-2010, 12:05 PM
Good on you Tanya! :thumbsup: I'm a bit like you - always nervous before the event.

When I first told my doctor, I was almost too nervous to speak, but then I thought "What the .... this is why I came!" and after that it all came tumbling out. The next step was the psychiatrist - whilst I was in the waiting room I thought "I must be mad to be here!" (no pun intended), but when she invited me in, it all came tumbling out again and she confirmed that I'm not merely mad,but I do need help with my Gender Dysphoria. I dare say when i finally get to go to the clinic I'll be a bag of nerves again, but it all works out in the end.

All this to say, it's normal to be nervous, but you'll be glad you did it :hugs:

tanyalynn51
09-10-2010, 02:20 PM
Thank you all for all of the words of encouragement. I wont be able to respond this weekend, as I have to act as a man at work, where I am all weekend. This is one of the main things I hope to talk about with her. This is getting harder and harder to deal with.

Olivia2
09-10-2010, 02:31 PM
Tanya,

Wherever the work with the therapist ultimately takes you it will be a great thing to finally talk about it with someone. My first experience doing that with a therapist was 20 years ago and I can't imagine where I'd be today if I had not begun the process of opening up to someone. It took my several sessions to do it but I finally did it. The thing that finally got me to open up was a phrase I heard at an al-anon meeting paraphrased from the Bible-"The truth shall set you free." Since then, when I see a new therapist it is usually one of the first things I bring up about myself.

Olivia

carolinoakland
09-10-2010, 02:49 PM
Ok, remember. You are completely safe. Nothing you say can be repeated anywhere. Ever. You have privacy and safety. You needed this enough to see past your fear to reach out. You can not be judged for this. Therapy is about YOU. And you need to ask the questions that you've always had the answears to, but weren't ready to say that answear. After you do that, the rest is just details. Be happy, only you can give yourself permission to do so... Carol

Billijo49504
09-10-2010, 03:32 PM
Good for you Tanya. I know it's a scarey thing to go to that first appointment, but it's worth it to go. He saw that I was nervious, but he put me at a point that I was happy I had gone..:hugs:..BJ

Rianna Humble
09-10-2010, 03:58 PM
BTW if you're still feeling nervous on the day, you might like to try one of my recipes for dealing with that - retail therapy :heehee:

Penelope Marie
09-10-2010, 10:35 PM
Retail Therapy is fun and costly too

Rianna Humble
09-11-2010, 12:36 AM
Retail Therapy is fun and costly too

I've developed an end-of-month variety too which consist of window shopping and working out what I would buy myself next month or for Xmas / birthday etc.

AKAMichelle
09-12-2010, 09:03 PM
You can decide to remain sitting there on the sidelines continuing to wish you would do something or just do it. I hope you choose to go through the door and get the help that you need to guide you on your journey. They will be able to point you in various directions but ultimately it is up to as how far you are willing to go. Good luck on the start to your journey. I hope that you will have calm seas and lots of adventure.

tanyalynn51
09-14-2010, 05:36 PM
Today was the day of my appointment. Im starting a new thread on it. Thank you all for the encouragement. It helped me get there.